Calls grow for return of terraces - What do you think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:40 pm

I agree that standing up in huge crowds belongs in the past - brilliant at the time I know but also feckin scary when you first went in there as a small lad - a place best re-visited in the memory I think. (I can remember my mum having kittens when she'd see the Kop on MOTD knowing that me and my brother had been in there). We've moved on - seating need not effect atmosphere and to me safety for those that are there and peace of mind for those that aren't is paramount.
dutchman

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 pm

I agree with St Mike, Dutchman etc. I can understand why people would love standing 'cos the Kop obviously isn't the same these days but as mooted on here, why will standing up suddenly improve the atmosphere? It won't if you don't have the die hard reds in there who won't stop singing. Even if this was the case as mentioned, safety comes above atmosphere every time. Besides, didn't the Hillsborough family support group say no to this? surely we should listen to them.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:25 am

Bad idea.

Football has moved on. Pining for the "old days" is futile.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:46 am

I say bring back standing. There's the obvious caveats - no fencing or penning in of fans, proper ground management & policing etc but i think having a standing area would work fine and I for one would much prefer to stand at the footy. I don't accept the argument that "football has moved on" - there is still a huge number of fans who aren't @rsed about family areas and the like, fans who'd much rather be able to stand on a terrace & sing. I had my fair share of bruises & bumps from standing on the Kop (so did Mrs Woolly who thought they were a price worth paying for watching Jamie Redknapp in a pair of shorts) and given the choice I'd do exactly the same tomorrow.

Bring the terraces back :buttrock
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:13 am

IF there were stringent controls, and IF it could be made safe, I would welcome them back.

Something as daft as putting lines of rails up so people are contained in single file lines, rather than pens, would instantly prevent crushing. Much the same as the seats are positioned now.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:27 am

count me in aswell, nothing wrong with standing at all, the whole arguement like the article said is weak.

why is it only the top two divisions are all-seater, do the lower league clubs never have full grounds.

there are hundreds of events all year round where you can stand but for some reason you cant in the top two leagues, its all :censored:

if you dont want to stand then no one is going to force you to so why am i forced to sit, all we want is a right to choose.

its the fencing and penning in of supporters that we dont want back
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 am

for those of you who havnt seen whats proposed, here is a picture

ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:54 am

The whole seating idea was introduced because of what happened at hillsborough and as we all know it wasnt down to people standing or sitting it was down to poor management with regards to allocations as to where the supporters where supposed to go. For many years at all grounds terracing was never a problem. The problem back then was hooligans and in that respect our country has become the envy of europe in how we have dealt with that problem. Bring back terracing, it never was a problem, bad policing and management was.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:26 am

Bring back terracing, it never was a problem, bad policing and management was.

And those dreadful fences.

The overcrowding at Hillsborough may not have been fatal had they had a means of escape.

It was the fences with spikes on top that proved to be the key factor.

The terraces featured in the photo John Doe posted may work, in certain areas of the grounds.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:07 am

I remember the massive pushes and sways on the Kop in the old days, lads going down, being swept up by the stranger behind you. I also remember the fellas pizzing down rolled up newspapers and drunks causing trouble which the coppers couldnt get to to sort out. The atmosphere was boss, but we gotta realise that era is over. We've got more women, more kids, more guest fans and a higher value product to finance.  We have the best stadiums in europe, why would we want to move backwards to be like the shitty girman or french  stadiums?

Look at violence in Italy, Argentina, Brazil etc... its a no brainer, the stadiums must stay seated.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:32 pm

it is not a no brainer at all mate for us that stood on the kop, you never felt in danger of anything other than getting hit on the head with a pie crust or gettin stood a a tall fat bloke who had been in the ale house all mornin

if the germans can do it we should be able to , i agree with st mike 100% there are far to many people who wish to be enterained and not to support the team, which is the main factor for the apathy in stadia at the moment,

i have a mate who i watch the footy in the pub with on the dodgy arab sky and if we don't score 4 every game he finds something to bitch about and he is always at the players for not being good enough, but he is a mate so i put up with it

standing wouldn't automatical bring back the atmos because a generation of kids have missed out on learning the songs and the rules to being a suppporter, and have to read rtk to get an education

imho seating the stadiums was more to do with sky wanting a middle class audiance to sell there packages, fans are a naucance to the tv and they would rather show a family sitting at the game quite than a group of lads on the lash singing there hearts out, the press used hooligans to sell papers and loved every minute of it
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion