Next skipper - Once gerrard calls it quits

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:51 am

When Steven Gerrard finally calls his captaincy days up at Anfield, who do you all think will take over the armband, considering Gerrard won't be handing in the armband for any time soon (i hope)

My choice is Daniel Agger, I think he'll of been at the club for a while then. Just starting to mature into his best days, and centre backs have constantly made good captains for us, Yeats, Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Wright, Hyypia.

Dan Agger is my choice.

Yours?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:53 am

Well it could be a fair few years away yet, so no idea lol.

Lets say hes skipper for 5 more years...

just a bizarre q
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 am

I agree it is bizarre Dawson, but it's just been playing on me mind tonight. Just wondering what if.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 am

well, id say micah richards :;):
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:03 am

Let me ask different questions.  Is Gerrard the right man to be captain? and do we have a true captain?
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:10 am

big al wrote:Let me ask different questions.  Is Gerrard the right man to be captain? and do we have a true captain?

They're probably fairer questions, and yes Gerrard is the right man in my eyes, based on love for the club and the fact that he constantly leads by example.

Whether we have a captain in the Souness or Phil Thompson mold, someone who isn't going to accept anything less than everything, Jamie Carragher is that man. He won't give people an easy time if they've under performed.

Hyypia could still do a great job as captain IMO, but Gerrard is the right man for me.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:16 am

big al wrote:Let me ask different questions.  Is Gerrard the right man to be captain? and do we have a true captain?

Yes, maybe his body language isn't always great but luckily he usually is.
account deleted by request

Postby greenred » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 am

Mascherano?

The captain should always have the biggest heart.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:29 am

fernando torres
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:33 am

How on earth is this relevant now?

He's 27, and by all accounts he wants to see out his career with us. That could be another 6,7 or 8 years.

Strange topic by GBJH.
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:36 am

But Carragher should be our club Captain IMHO.

Absolutely no doubt about it.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:45 am

LFC2007 wrote:How on earth is this relevant now?

He's 27, and by all accounts he wants to see out his career with us. That could be another 6,7 or 8 years.

Strange topic by GBJH.

Well if I'd started it in 2003 it woud of been irrelvant then as well, when Hyypia was captain because he's still here 5 years, but isn't captain.

The armband was given to Gerrard and taken off Hyypia. The same could easily be done in the near future to Gerrard. If we have a new manager at the start of next year, he might not want Gerrard as captain. So it has a lot of rellavance.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby RedBlood » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:52 am

impossible to answer the question as gerrard will quick the band and rightly so until he calls it a day...by then we could have a few more leaders on the pitch depending on who we buy
but if i was to pick someone from the current team it would be a choice between agger mascherano or torres.....
i think agger is too quiet and torres is more of an icon then a captin so the little man for me :D

who cares if its irrelevent anyway not like anything anyone says on here matters :p
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:02 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:How on earth is this relevant now?

Strange topic by GBJH.

Well if I'd started it in 2003 it woud of been irrelvant then as well, when Hyypia was captain because he's still here 5 years, but isn't captain.

The armband was given to Gerrard and taken off Hyypia. The same could easily be done in the near future to Gerrard. If we have a new manager at the start of next year, he might not want Gerrard as captain. So it has a lot of rellavance.

No, it wouldn't have been irrelevant in 2003.

Gerrard was made captain because he was (and still is) our best player, he's a local lad and although he's a miserable :censored: at times - he inspires with his performances, Hyypia was getting old(ish) and wasn't playing brilliantly, there was bound to be a change.

Now, we have Gerrard, our best player who wants to stay with us and will probably see his career out with us. He could play, and remain captain until the age of 32 at least. He's fit enough.

There is no relevance to this topic now.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:05 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:When Steven Gerrard finally calls his captaincy days up at Anfield, who do you all think will take over the armband, considering Gerrard won't be handing in the armband for any time soon (i hope)

Read that LFC2007, you'll see what I feel about the captain. I want Gerrard as our captain for the rest of his career.

The truth is, in football things change. He could easily be chopped as the captain tomorrow if Benitez wanted. Everything has reallavance.

Also IF Gerrard, Carra and Hyypia were all out injured, who'd be captain if you want to look at it that way.
god_bless_john_houlding

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion