Away days - A view from the terraces (villa game)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Our fans sounded brilliant and the best midfield in the world could be heard all the way through the game.
Sounded like a great day out and hopefully the first of many of them this season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:47 pm

red37 wrote:I like the tune they were going to use for Torres (La Cucarracha) sp.

Now it looks like Torres will get that one used by Real Betis - 'Arriba'  - which is good as well.

I reckon Reina could have the tune of La Cucarracha instead. Nice and simple...

"Pepe Reina...Pepe Reina...Na na na na na na na na naaaaa"

No?   :D

The arriba song was nicked from northern stadiums, and was changed in a couple of notes.

The northern stadiums in turn, nicked it from a popular song of south american revolutionaries (guerrilla, it's a revolution song).

So that's the history of that song, born in south american jungle, ended up in Anfield.  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Learn something new everyday  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Oakesy8 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 pm

Does anybody else hate the way the media labelled our performance at Villa Park a ‘struggle’, despite our domination and ultimate victory. Yet whenever Utd and Chelsea struggle and win, it’s apparently always a sign of true champions grinding out a victory despite playing bellow par?
My gripe of the weekend.
Oakesy8

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 pm

Oakesy8 wrote:Does anybody else hate the way the media labelled our performance at Villa Park a ‘struggle’, despite our domination and ultimate victory. Yet whenever Utd and Chelsea struggle and win, it’s apparently always a sign of true champions grinding out a victory despite playing bellow par?
My gripe of the weekend.

You're spot on.

I read a few local papers over the weekend, and I was close to spitting into the colmns and ripping it up. They bemoaned that we struggled, practically said we were a one man team, and described the front pairing of Torres and Kuyt as not having a good understanding. They are so desperate to see our record signing fail, that they wrote how bad his so called clear chances were and how he was "the moan of the match" for not converting. C*nts!" Where's the backlash from the Mancs not able to beat a 10 man Reading team at their own ground. Pathetic. From what I'm told, megastar Nani couldn't even beat the first man when trying to cross from corners and from the wing. Had we had the same result at home, Andy Gray and all the rest of the w@ankers would be stating our season was a failure already. I'm sick of it.

Oh, and for all those tw@ts that want to complain about Gerrard's free kick not being a free kick, Petrov left his leg out and blocked Gerrards run with his arm after he knocked the ball round him. Now, this to me is what is known in the game as abstruction. I've seen them given more than a dozen times in games, so why moan? The lad still had to thread the eye of a needle to score from there. No complaints. It was a wonder goal so stop trying to take that away from Gerrard by complaining about a so called soft free kick. Get over it! C*nts!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 am

h, and for all those tw@ts that want to complain about Gerrard's free kick not being a free kick, Petrov left his leg out and blocked Gerrards run with his arm after he knocked the ball round him. Now, this to me is what is known in the game as abstruction. I've seen them given more than a dozen times in games, so why moan? The lad still had to thread the eye of a needle to score from there. No complaints. It was a wonder goal so stop trying to take that away from Gerrard by complaining about a so called soft free kick. Get over it! C*nts!

f..king well said
whylongball?

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:34 am

Anon_Villan wrote:
Dalglish wrote:Apologies if this is seen as not worthy or repeating other posts but thought it might be an idea to give a fans eye view from the games this season (Particularly away days as many on here don't have the opportunity to get along). This is my take on the trip to Villa Park today ......... 

Not long back from Villa Park for the opening game of the 2007/08 Premiership Season. Well that's not strictly true. We got a "flyer" and were home 90 mins after the end of the game courtesy of the M6 and a quick coffee at Stafford services which due to the card machine not working was "gratis". Today was one of them days where one felt they could do no wrong and to be welcomed home with a bunch of Red Roses by the wife after spending half of the hottest day of the year at the football it's no wonder I'm feeling invincible ! 

Yet I digress. Off we dutifully travelled to Villa Park to watch the Reds parade their obvious talent but it was with a little foreboding on account of failing to win an opening day fixture under Rafa. Mark and I always predict the score and I went for a Liverpool 2-1 win. Told you I am on a roll today ! Maybe my "luck" is changing and for once I won't be the bloke who falls into a barrel of breas.ts and comes up sucking his thumb !

There is something quite unique about the opening day of the season. Maybe it's the fact that in a league where the disparity between clubs in terms of financial muscle is wider than it has ever been this is the only time of the season where all clubs are equal and with 3 of the "Big 4" playing tomorrow it's a chance for the "also rans" to shine albeit for a day before SKY parade the big guns for the privileged few who subscribe. I say also rans because only 5 teams have ever won the Premiership since it's inception in 1993 and only 1 team other than the Big 4 have won the FA Cup in the last 15 years !

Villa started reasonably well but Liverpool's obvious superiority soon started to show. When a team leaves Crouch (Valued at £25 Million), Mascherano (Value circa £20 Million) and Benayoun ( £5 Million) not just out of the starting line up but completely out of the side and at home in the garden no doubt enjoying the weather, it's easy to see where the difference between the two teams lie.

Villa are a strange club with some fickle fans and if evidence was required then look no further than the half time entertainment which consisted of local "legend" Ian Taylor being paraded before the faithful. The reception was so muted that the PA announcer started to pump simulated crowd noise through the speakers to generate an atmosphere !  Maybe the crowd were withdrawn due to already being 0-1 down to an O.G. or perhaps it was the fact that their capacity has been reduced considerably by "re-designing" the stadium which is code for ripping out standard seats and putting in more executive boxes ! Their capacity has gone down from 48,000 + to a rather sad 42,000 on account of this but don't worry Villa, theres more revenue from "suits" over normal supporters !   

Anyway I digress yet again. Back to the affairs of the heart and the game. Liverpool come out second half and proceed to do what we do best, namely produce and squander chance after chance to score a second goal and seal the game. To be fair their Keeper's having a  blinder (don't they always when they play us) and is keeping Villa in it single-handedly until Carragher finds a bobble on a pitch you could putt a golf ball on ! Penalty ! Barry does what Chelsea players can't and actually scores a penalty to level the game and leave 5,000 Reds fans shaking their heads ! Here we go again I think, dominating an away fixture only to drop pts. The game restarts and Gerrard runs into Petrov and wins a what has come to be known as a "Dodgy" free kick. Stevie lines himself up and hits a blinder and peels away in delight.

WHY oh WHY do I doubt thee Steven !   :D

I feel like I have to say a couple of things here.

Firstly the capacity of Villa Park has increased by a hundred or so seats, from 42,441 to 42,600 or something like that. Not sure where you got the idea of selling seats for corporate boxes from. Sort of like moving from your spiritual home and one of the finest live sporting arenas in the world to a shiny new bigger version to satisfy the 'wools' (I think thats what you call them). Nothing to do with money that one.

There is something strange about Villa Park which means thousands of people can't hear each other when they're 100 yards away. From my position at the front of the Upper Holte Ian Taylor got a great reception, almost ruined by the sprinklers. Also despite seeing you all jump around a bit I honestly only heard the Liverpool fans 4 times, I know that seems unbelievable but its true. Also the Holte was in quite good voice in the first and last half hours, maybe the roofs need sorting. I'm not into the whole "we were louder than yow" rubbish but that needed to be said.

"dodgy" doesn't do that decision justice. It was pathetic.

Maybe you need to get off to the docs for some ear drops or a hearing aid, then...

Stop whining you bitter tw*t.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:59 am

Dalglish - what happened to jacking it in ? Are you Tho,mpkins in disguise ? And New Song ? Get with it lad.

Anyone hear that new one on the television ? Youll Never Walk At Home or something I think it was.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 am

Incidentally, anyone off to the stadium of light a week on saturday?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Anon_Villan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Scouse Neanderthal wrote:Maybe you need to get off to the docs for some ear drops or a hearing aid, then...

Or, maybe you need to stop being an internet warrior - cause it doesn't impress anyone.

I thought Liverpool fans were known for their knowledge of football and wit. Maybe I've just come on the Liverpool equivalent of HolteArmy.com.
Anon_Villan

Postby heimdall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Anon_Villan wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Scouse Neanderthal wrote:Maybe you need to get off to the docs for some ear drops or a hearing aid, then...

Or, maybe you need to stop being an internet warrior - cause it doesn't impress anyone.

I thought Liverpool fans were known for their knowledge of football and wit. Maybe I've just come on the Liverpool equivalent of HolteArmy.com.

Don't mind Lando he's rude to everybody mate, I have to say that on TV I only heard the Liverpool fans though.
I thought you guys looked fairly good in the match but you have a real :censored: in Carew. In an interview in a Norwegian paper recently he stated that he could be the best striker in the world if he just practised a bit more. Firstly that's :censored: but what an attitude and slap in the face to any club he plays for. That guy is a real :censored: and is sh1t for Norway as well like most of the Norwegian Prem lads are actually, no passion for their country.
heimdall

Postby Dalglish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:20 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Dalglish - what happened to jacking it in ? Are you Tho,mpkins in disguise ? And New Song ? Get with it lad.

Anyone hear that new one on the television ? Youll Never Walk At Home or something I think it was.

Cheeky Git !  :D

I'll answer your Q's in turn............

Re. "Jacking it in" - I had a big soul search over the summer after the Athens debacle and the fact that I allowed the whole situation to get to me big style.......and the upshot is I've give up my season ticket for the Home games. However I fully intend to be at a fair few aways but whats further compounded the situation is my Mrs is expecting again (Oct 20th) (co-incidentally Everton away !  :D ) so I might not be available to go to aways for a bit. As explained in the opening post I'm a lucky man with an understanding wife but I'm not going to take the proverbial and become an unlucky man without a wife !  :laugh:

Re . Am I Tomkins in disguise ? Whose HE !  :D

Re. New Song - I've purposefully taken the summer off and seen NO friendlies, Hong kong tournie etc.......My first exposure to the Liverpool Way was Saturday and it felt good to be back !  :wwww
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Anon_Villan wrote:I feel like I have to say a couple of things here.

Firstly the capacity of Villa Park has increased by a hundred or so seats, from 42,441 to 42,600 or something like that. Not sure where you got the idea of selling seats for corporate boxes from. Sort of like moving from your spiritual home and one of the finest live sporting arenas in the world to a shiny new bigger version to satisfy the 'wools' (I think thats what you call them). Nothing to do with money that one.

There is something strange about Villa Park which means thousands of people can't hear each other when they're 100 yards away. From my position at the front of the Upper Holte Ian Taylor got a great reception, almost ruined by the sprinklers. Also despite seeing you all jump around a bit I honestly only heard the Liverpool fans 4 times, I know that seems unbelievable but its true. Also the Holte was in quite good voice in the first and last half hours, maybe the roofs need sorting. I'm not into the whole "we were louder than yow" rubbish but that needed to be said.

"dodgy" doesn't do that decision justice. It was pathetic.

Hi Anon_Villan,

I appreciate your reply and you make a few good points.

I hadn't realised your capacity had increased as the changes behind the goal give the appearance of the ground being smaller -Apologies.

With regards to your comments about LFC fans making noise I tend to agree with you as we were not very vocal at all. However it doesn;t help when your PA drowns out any pre match crowd noise and only stops right on kick off. Also the PA kicked in again at HT when Taylor walked onto the pitch. Whether that was to drown out any possible boos from the away fans I don't know but it definitely happened. Anyway we wouldn't have a reason to boo Taylor but your lads seemed to have a problem with Pennant !  :D

Re . "Dodgy" - Your clutching at straws a bit there as it should have been 4-1 by that time ! There will be many more "Dodgy" decisions like that this season up and down the country but I hope the opposition fans won't use it to cover up what was a pretty inept performance from your lot !

Ok lets suppose it's a bad decision (and for what it's worth I tend to agree) but it doesn't hide the fact that your team was at home, it's the first game of the season and it's a full house. Taking that into consideration I still maintain your team performance was poor and from where I was stood I didn't hear too much atmosphere.

Walk on ............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anon_Villan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 am

Dalglish wrote:Hi Anon_Villan,

I appreciate your reply and you make a few good points.

I hadn't realised your capacity had increased as the changes behind the goal give the appearance of the ground being smaller -Apologies.

With regards to your comments about LFC fans making noise I tend to agree with you as we were not very vocal at all. However it doesn;t help when your PA drowns out any pre match crowd noise and only stops right on kick off. Also the PA kicked in again at HT when Taylor walked onto the pitch. Whether that was to drown out any possible boos from the away fans I don't know but it definitely happened. Anyway we wouldn't have a reason to boo Taylor but your lads seemed to have a problem with Pennant !  :D

Re . "Dodgy" - Your clutching at straws a bit there as it should have been 4-1 by that time ! There will be many more "Dodgy" decisions like that this season up and down the country but I hope the opposition fans won't use it to cover up what was a pretty inept performance from your lot !

Ok lets suppose it's a bad decision (and for what it's worth I tend to agree) but it doesn't hide the fact that your team was at home, it's the first game of the season and it's a full house. Taking that into consideration I still maintain your team performance was poor and from where I was stood I didn't hear too much atmosphere.

Walk on ............

I would not have expected the Liverpool fans to boo Ian Taylor. For people who don't know the Ian Taylor story he is the local fan come good, only started playing professionally at 24 and scored for Villa at Wembley in 96. He lived the dream, is a great bloke and is still see in the Holte quite a lot, even turned up at St Andrews the other year.

Not quite the same as booing Jermaine Pennant, who is an odious little jail-dodging :censored: who has not earnt the right to play for one of Europe's premier clubs. Did himself no favours on Saturday either.

I wasn't trying to say Liverpool fans weren't making noise, I could see that they were, but it just doesn't travel. Look at the design of Anfield then look at Villa Park, theres gaps all over the place and the roofs are all at different heights - the noise doesn't stay in, which is a shame cause the Holte really got going on Saturday at times. I think someone on here was in the Holte and said the same thing.

And as for PA music, its frankly embarrassing and has no place at a football ground, except maybe something when the teams come out. So I agree with you there as well

While I'm here, what did the Liverpool supporters think of the new seat positions - better or worse? I like having the supporters facing each other, and also the seats you were in before were horrible - built on an old terrace with no bar I think. Villa fans get in there for £200 a season now. Hope we didn't rip you off too much before.
Anon_Villan

Postby Dalglish » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 am

Anon_Villan wrote:I would not have expected the Liverpool fans to boo Ian Taylor. For people who don't know the Ian Taylor story he is the local fan come good, only started playing professionally at 24 and scored for Villa at Wembley in 96. He lived the dream, is a great bloke and is still see in the Holte quite a lot, even turned up at St Andrews the other year.

Not quite the same as booing Jermaine Pennant, who is an odious little jail-dodging :censored: who has not earnt the right to play for one of Europe's premier clubs. Did himself no favours on Saturday either.

I wasn't trying to say Liverpool fans weren't making noise, I could see that they were, but it just doesn't travel. Look at the design of Anfield then look at Villa Park, theres gaps all over the place and the roofs are all at different heights - the noise doesn't stay in, which is a shame cause the Holte really got going on Saturday at times. I think someone on here was in the Holte and said the same thing.

And as for PA music, its frankly embarrassing and has no place at a football ground, except maybe something when the teams come out. So I agree with you there as well

While I'm here, what did the Liverpool supporters think of the new seat positions - better or worse? I like having the supporters facing each other, and also the seats you were in before were horrible - built on an old terrace with no bar I think. Villa fans get in there for £200 a season now. Hope we didn't rip you off too much before.

PA systems are the bane of most genuine football supporters who remember when atmosphere was generated by the fans not some over zealous numpty in a PA booth !

It happens at a few grounds these days. Boro and Blackburn seem to be the worse. I was just surprised that a good old fashioned Football Club like Villa had gone down the road of styling their pre match PA information on WWF wrestling ! ???

And then we wonder why fans don't mmake much noise, my ears were still ringing a half hour into the game !   :D

On Pennant I think your allowing his Birmingham connections to cloud your judgement and I suppose thats understandable.

On the NEW Seat position i have top say I enjoyed the view and the layout plus the facilities under theg stand were much improved. Also an important point to be made would be that access in and out of the stadium is loads better instead of being squeezes into the one entrance/exit like in the past.

£32 a ticket it was so thats 32 X 19 = £608 for an "away" season ticket as opposed to £200 for a home supporter  :O

Yet another case of the away supporter being ripped off although to be fair £32 is CHEAP compared to clubs like West Ham and Chelsea who charge nearer £50 !   :oops:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion