BRAD JONES - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:29 am

Fauxy wrote:Cavalieri wants out so we are replacing him with a home grown keeper. :)

This, plus the fact that Gulacsi is about 21 makes buying a new back up keeper a reasonable move.

Whether Jones is the right one I've no idea. I've read about the Boro fans laughing all the way to the bank with the money, so who knows...

Interesting also the argument above about the homegrown quota, and how it limits us in the transfer market.

Overall I'm happy. As long as Reina doesn't get injured that is!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 am

from the offal

Liverpool have confirmed a £2.3m fee has been agreed with Middlesbrough for the transfer of Australian international goalkeeper Brad Jones.

The 28-year-old stopper passed a medical on Monday afternoon and has agreed personal terms. He is expected to complete the paperwork on a three-year contract on Tuesday.

The Australia international spent the early part of his career as understudy to Mark Schwarzer, before battling it out with Ross Turnbull to become first-choice at the Riverside at the start of the 2008-09 season.

During his time in the North-East he picked up a League Cup winner's medal and was between the sticks for the club's famous UEFA Cup semi-final  victory over Steaua Bucharest back in 2006.

He has since won two caps for Australia and was named in their 2010 World Cup squad.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 am

:no Turnbull and Taylor moved on frees in the not too distant past.

And this "homegrown rule" is a joke when an aussie counts! How exactly is that making squads more English?!?!?
Last edited by Owzat on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 am

I have also read a lot of things from Boro fans claiming they are laughing at the fact we are signing him, which is definitely a worrying thing. It seems to mainly be comments like this -

I don't know what hodgson has seen, but he obviously didn't see the preseason game where jones did his familiar coming out for a cross then stopping, then retreating, then watching the ball sail over his head into the net and then was beaten at the near post for the second goal.Jones didn't always have to put up with boo-boys, only after he started producing howlers on a consistent basis.

I do agree we need a new back-up keeper but have to also question if this lad is the best option.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 am

Has anyone seen the guy play?

Ive never even heard of him but the comments from the Boro fan's are concerning!
Mind you... i had a bit of a laugh at Kirkland and Carson this weekend.  they conceded 10 goals between them and a few howlers in there.

Then karma gave me a visit.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 am

Got no problem with this signing. With a bit of luck the club can get it's money back on Cavallieri (I have my doubts) and Jones will come in and play about as many games as Cav did.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Scottbot wrote:Got no problem with this signing. With a bit of luck the club can get it's money back on Cavallieri (I have my doubts) and Jones will come in and play about as many games as Cav did.

But the point is for the number of games the back-up should end up playing, do we need to pay more than a few hundred k for them?!?!? And he's 28. I thought Rafa was daft paying £3m for Cavalieri back when, but now I think Woy is equally daft.

Is this part of his "shrewd signing" approach?!?!? Paying £2.3m for a so-so keeper who's in his late 20s?!?!? We've now forked out what, £10m+ this summer and the pick of the signings are both frees! (not referring to Woy signings, just players joined since the end of last season)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Owzat wrote:But the point is for the number of games the back-up should end up playing, do we need to pay more than a few hundred k for them?!?!? And he's 28. I thought Rafa was daft paying £3m for Cavalieri back when, but now I think Woy is equally daft.

Is this part of his "shrewd signing" approach?!?!? Paying £2.3m for a so-so keeper who's in his late 20s?!?!? We've now forked out what, £10m+ this summer and the pick of the signings are both frees! (not referring to Woy signings, just players joined since the end of last season)

I don't understand the age concern.  Keepers generally get better and much more dependable with age so signing a 28 year old keeper makes sense from that perspective: he knows his craft but still has many years to go in his career.  I can understand those who feel this is an unnecessary transfer given the keepers we already have on our books but complaining that he's 28 doesn't make sense to me.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Owzat wrote:But the point is for the number of games the back-up should end up playing, do we need to pay more than a few hundred k for them?!?!? And he's 28. I thought Rafa was daft paying £3m for Cavalieri back when, but now I think Woy is equally daft.

I don't understand the age concern.  Keepers generally get better and much more dependable with age so signing a 28 year old keeper makes sense from that perspective: he knows his craft but still has many years to go in his career.  I can understand those who feel this is an unnecessary transfer given the keepers we already have on our books but complaining that he's 28 doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's the fact a 28 year old is happy to basically sit on the bench for the rest of his career, as he's gotta know our number one will always be our number one... shows a lack of passion to me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 pm

the fans up here in boro are doing cartwheels
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Pretty much my thoughts. I like the GK situation to be an unquestioned number one backed-up by an experienced head who has a bit of game time under his belt. Jones is reletively young in goal-keeper terms (David James just kept goal for England at the World Cup aged 38) but old enough to be trusted to come in if called upon. I was quite happy when we made a move for Maik Taylor (as back-up) this time last year. I don't know that much about Jones' ability and I guess in an ideal world you'd pick him up on a free transfer but despite our financial situation the fee is essentially chump change at this level, even for a goalkeeper, I believwe Stoke bought a back-up keeper from pompey lasy seaosn for just under £4 million (think that's what i read the other day). I'd like to think the club can recoup a couple of million back for Cavallieri who has never really inspired any confidence from me.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:58 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I think it's the fact a 28 year old is happy to basically sit on the bench for the rest of his career, as he's gotta know our number one will always be our number one... shows a lack of passion to me

The Aussies have a reputation when it comes to money!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Or maybe the fact that he has been a life long liverpool fan means that he doesnt care about sitting on the bench all the time.  ???
Fauxy

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Fauxy wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Or maybe the fact that he has been a life long liverpool fan means that he doesnt care about sitting on the bench all the time.  ???

either that or his 40k a week in wages  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 pm

He better not get 40k wages.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion