BRAD JONES - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:You had a point ? that would be a first.

Thats ok you be delighted we are spending money on average players while we still have no decent back up to Torres .

oh dear love, you try hard, bless, but you fail...

You said it was MADNESS to spend 2.5 million on a back up keeper...but Rafa spend 3 MILLION on Cavelari. That was after he'd spend 500k on Martin too. I think it's you who's going mad

:laugh:

You still fail to see the difference in the financial situations back then to now - we dont have a penny to rub together currently and we are extremely weak in certain areas yet are spending money in areas where we dont need players .

Do you grasp that now .[/quote]
you didn't say that in your post love. You said it was MAD to spend 2.5 million on a back up when there were youth players available.

But spending 3 million...and then another 500k on back up keepers was fine under Rafa. :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Greavesie wrote:Benny's right though Kewell a back up to Torres is essential

back up in all areas is essential. If it's true that Cavelari wants out then we need to sign a back up before we sell. hopefully when the masch deal goes through we'll get a striker sorted too. Eggnog isn't good enough, as we saw last seaosn
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm

My guess is that the back up striker is already identified and a fee already agreed. As soon as masherano gets his 30 pieces of silver, we'll get our striker the following day. I think it's Carlton Cole.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:You had a point ? that would be a first.

Thats ok you be delighted we are spending money on average players while we still have no decent back up to Torres .

oh dear love, you try hard, bless, but you fail...

You said it was MADNESS to spend 2.5 million on a back up keeper...but Rafa spend 3 MILLION on Cavelari. That was after he'd spend 500k on Martin too. I think it's you who's going mad

:laugh:

You still fail to see the difference in the financial situations back then to now - we dont have a penny to rub together currently and we are extremely weak in certain areas yet are spending money in areas where we dont need players .

Do you grasp that now .

you didn't say that in your post love. You said it was MAD to spend 2.5 million on a back up when there were youth players available.

But spending 3 million...and then another 500k on back up keepers was fine under Rafa. :laugh:[/quote]
Well its not hard to understand our current financial situation and you cant compare it to 3 years ago when Caveralli was bought and we had NO decent youth keepers to call on to the present day when we have got decent youth keepers who could easily do a job.

If rafa was doing the same right now i expect you would be critizing him - i maybe wrong but i doubt it .

It is MAD to spend money on  a back up keeper when we are skint and if news of it falling through is true then im very glad .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm

bigmick wrote:My guess is that the back up striker is already identified and a fee already agreed. As soon as masherano gets his 30 pieces of silver, we'll get our striker the following day. I think it's Carlton Cole.

Lets hope its not at the 20 mil suggested in the gossip thou .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Well whether it's mad or not (and to be fair unless we know Cavalieri's situation it's impossible to guess), the important thing is Roy knows what he's doing and is spending very frugally. Even with the Insua sale falling through he's still in profit, and I like the look of our squad in comparison to last season.

Like most on here, I've never seen Brad Jones play but I do know he wouldn't exactly have to be Pepe Reina in order to be better than Cavalieri. I think the brazillian bloke is rubbish to be honest, and if the unthinkable happens this season and Pepe gets in jured, buying someone else will look like a master stroke.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:My guess is that the back up striker is already identified and a fee already agreed. As soon as masherano gets his 30 pieces of silver, we'll get our striker the following day. I think it's Carlton Cole.

Yes I don't think he's worth 20. 15 would be about right, with the add-ons being made up of such things as "if we win the Premiership" and all that jazz.

That said, if the fee was 20 million, I can think of worse players we've paid that much money for.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:44 pm

bigmick wrote:Well whether it's mad or not (and to be fair unless we know Cavalieri's situation it's impossible to guess), the important thing is Roy knows what he's doing and is spending very frugally. Even with the Insua sale falling through he's still in profit, and I like the look of our squad in comparison to last season.

Like most on here, I've never seen Brad Jones play but I do know he wouldn't exactly have to be Pepe Reina in order to be better than Cavalieri. I think the brazillian bloke is rubbish to be honest, and if the unthinkable happens this season and Pepe gets in jured, buying someone else will look like a master stroke.

Is he getting credit now for being in profit during transfers  ???

And i have seen Jones play and know a few boro fans who would be glad to get rid . They think he is one of the main reasons they got relegated from prem when he became number one after schwarzer left . Would rather if we had to get an english back up would look at someone like Lee Camp at Forest who is very good .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:45 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:

Yes I don't think he's worth 20. 15 would be about right, with the add-ons being made up of such things as "if we win the Premiership" and all that jazz.

That said, if the fee was 20 million, I can think of worse players we've paid that much money for.

Think even 15  mill is too much for him - 10 mil max for me . would rather spend that sort of money of Doyle and think we could even get Bent for 15 mil .
Benny The Noon

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:47 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:

Errrrr.....let's hope it's absolutely NOT Carlton Cole for one simple reason - he's categorically MUCK !

And FWIW, if we did have 10M to spend, Doyle would be an infinitely better investment than Cole....good grief - why anybody would even WISH Cole would join is beyond me....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby maguskwt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

wow... so many master strokes...

Roy likes to stroke alot then?  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:23 pm

I don't think it'll prove a masterstroke because backup goalies rarely do, but if he's a replacement for Cavalieri who we can manage to sell for a reasonable fee then that's fine by me. The rationale would be that he counts as a homegrown player, and as such he would - by taking Cavalieri's position - free up one of the 17 "foreign" places. I stand to be corrected but I think we currently have 15 "foreign" players who would normally be included in the first team squad list. Freeing up a space gives us more latitude going forward; you're in a more difficult position if you head into a transfer window with 16 "foreign" players and three new signings to make as only one of those new signings can be foreign unless you have plans to ship out another.  The homegrown rule means we have to think more carefully about those on the periphery - and Cavalieri surely is, as he's barely played - and so who better to get rid of in order to maintain a margin of two/three free spaces in our "foreign" quota.
LFC2007

Postby Fauxy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Cole is not muck.

He is actually a very very useful player. Having said that I wouldnt spend so much on him.

If we are going for an English striker then I would have that young lad from Ipswich - cant remember his name help me out someone :D

If not him then Romelu Lukaku from Anderlecht! :)
Fauxy

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:41 pm

bring him in i say and get rid of cavalieri for £2.5M. good thinking to have one of the eight homegrown players as a backup keeper who'll never play - in effect we now only 'have' to have 7 homegrown players over 21 who we would actually want to field regularly. could someone remind me which homegrown players over the age of 21 we have at the moment? gerrard, cole, carragher and johnson? the rest of the 'homegrown' players in the 'first team squad' are actually reserve team players and most are under 21 anyway.

i think it's quite an understandable process for any team with a top class 1st choice keeper to have a high turnaround of backup keepers. no keeper is gonna be happy for more than a season or two sitting on the bench every week. ask dudek, kirkland or carson.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:44 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I don't think it'll prove a masterstroke because backup goalies rarely do, but if he's a replacement for Cavalieri who we can manage to sell for a reasonable fee then that's fine by me. The rationale would be that he counts as a homegrown player, and as such he would - by taking Cavalieri's position - free up one of the 17 "foreign" places. I stand to be corrected but I think we currently have 15 "foreign" players who would normally be included in the first team squad list. Freeing up a space gives us more latitude going forward; you're in a more difficult position if you head into a transfer window with 16 "foreign" players and three new signings to make as only one of those new signings can be foreign unless you have plans to ship out another.  The homegrown rule means we have to think more carefully about those on the periphery - and Cavalieri surely is, as he's barely played - and so who better to get rid of in order to maintain a margin of two/three free spaces in our "foreign" quota.

good post son, good post.

i also say bring back bellamy (homegrown) - he'll cost peanuts and only an idiot would think he couldn't do a job for us.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion