BRAD JONES - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dundreamin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm

I agree Bellamy would be ideal,it,s just his attitude that worries me.Also heard that we may be after stephen Warnock
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Fauxy wrote:Cole is not muck.

He is actually a very very useful player. Having said that I wouldnt spend so much on him.

If we are going for an English striker then I would have that young lad from Ipswich - cant remember his name help me out someone :D

If not him then Romelu Lukaku from Anderlecht! :)

Connor Wickham, but Bellamy is first choice for me.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Cant for the life of me see the point in buying this lad, he is not better than Cavalieri, And as Pepe very rarely misses a game tbh i think its a waste of money because hes only gonna be doing what Cava does and warm the bench, Surely and all we have enough what they would call home grown players in the squad, just doesnt make sense to me , We could need this money to put towards a striker
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Nanny relax it,s all part of Roy,s MASTER PLAN!!
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 pm

dundreamin wrote:Nanny relax it,s all part of Roy,s MASTER PLAN!!

Listen to Frankie here , RELAX  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:06 pm

PabloAimar wrote:could someone remind me which homegrown players over the age of 21 we have at the moment? gerrard, cole, carragher and johnson? the rest of the 'homegrown' players in the 'first team squad' are actually reserve team players and most are under 21 anyway.

I assume it'd be the four you mentioned, plus Kelly, Spearing, Insua and Pacheco. I don't think the rule is that the 25 must contain 8 homegrown players who are also over 21, just that the 8 must have been registered with a club affiliated with the FA or FA of Wales for three seasons prior to their 21st birthday. Which, if correct, means we're plenty capable of filling the 8 spots (Shelvey, Ecclestone, Irwin etc..), and would mean the motivation to sign Jones would surely depend on Cavalieri (or Gulacsi) not being in Roy's plans.
LFC2007

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:23 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
PabloAimar wrote:could someone remind me which homegrown players over the age of 21 we have at the moment? gerrard, cole, carragher and johnson? the rest of the 'homegrown' players in the 'first team squad' are actually reserve team players and most are under 21 anyway.

I assume it'd be the four you mentioned, plus Kelly, Spearing, Insua and Pacheco. I don't think the rule is that the 25 must contain 8 homegrown players who are also over 21, just that the 8 must have been registered with a club affiliated with the FA or FA of Wales for three seasons prior to their 21st birthday. Which, if correct, means we're plenty capable of filling the 8 spots (Shelvey, Ecclestone, Irwin etc..), and would mean the motivation to sign Jones would surely depend on Cavalieri (or Gulacsi) not being in Roy's plans.

agreed... but that's a waste of those 25 places if we're having to include reserve players in this 25 who are under 21 anyway just to make up numbers. would spearing, plessis, etc. really warrant a place as one of the 25? to me, 25 implies 1 backup for each position and 3 floaters. some of these younger players should be nowhere near 2nd choice in any position and this wasn't the case when rafa's team/squad was at it's strongest.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Well, if you've got Johnson, Carra, Gerrard, Cole, Kelly and Pacheco, your "floaters" or the ones you're bound to include to make up 8 are, if you prefer them to the younger ones, Spearing and Insua. Our plans need only reflect the need to have 8 homegrown players in the squad, and an awareness of the limit of 17 non-homegrown players. So long as we bear that in mind - and that'll surely mean signing some good homegrown players in the years to come as Carra and Gerrard are in their 30s - and at the same time avoid signings like Voronin, Degen and Cavalieri, we'll be alright.
LFC2007

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:07 pm

he is an adequate sub keeper Jones for me.
Cavelieri will be on his way for definite.
If there is no difference in the balance between the transfers and it also helps the quota i cant see the problem at all.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:30 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I'm sure Hodgson and the team aren't spending the little budget we have recklessly.

If they rate him enough to spend that sort of money on him, the advice must of been concrete.

Purslow handles the budget not roy. People need to remember that if they think we have paid to much or done a great deal, nothing to do with roy, the money side that is, I`m not saying CP signs who he wants.
Roy doesnt take part in dicussions concerning money, he`s admited as much.

The deal makes sence with the new rules in mind. As was pointed out to me.
Last edited by Rush Job on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 am

Fauxy wrote:He will count as a home grown replacement for Cavalieri and we might generate more than 2.5 Mill from selling Cavalieri.

No drama.

Doesnt Bouzanis count though (not 100% sure about the rules)

2.5 million Wasted

Even if we sell Cavlieri 4 more, we coulda used it 2 spend on the LB/F/LW positions
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:55 am

bigmick wrote:My guess is that the back up striker is already identified and a fee already agreed. As soon as masherano gets his 30 pieces of silver, we'll get our striker the following day. I think it's Carlton Cole.

Great  :(
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:56 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:My guess is that the back up striker is already identified and a fee already agreed. As soon as masherano gets his 30 pieces of silver, we'll get our striker the following day. I think it's Carlton Cole.

Lets hope its not at the 20 mil suggested in the gossip thou .

Yes I don't think he's worth 20. 15 would be about right, with the add-ons being made up of such things as "if we win the Premiership" and all that jazz.

That said, if the fee was 20 million, I can think of worse players we've paid that much money for.

Errrrr.....let's hope it's absolutely NOT Carlton Cole for one simple reason - he's categorically MUCK !

And FWIW, if we did have 10M to spend, Doyle would be an infinitely better investment than Cole....good grief - why anybody would even WISH Cole would join is beyond me....

Doyle? Kevin Doyle...........but hes shitter no way id spend 10 million on him id rather have Ngog
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby pokster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:34 am

Kevin Doyle is a very good player. Just because he play for an unfancied club it doesnt mean that he's :censored:. HE holds up the ball well, brings in other team mates into play and making intelligent runs. I like him. I agree that 20 million pounds for carlton cole is rubbish, not worth it. maximum 12 million for carlton cole in my opinion.
pokster

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:50 am

PabloMedina28 wrote:
Fauxy wrote:He will count as a home grown replacement for Cavalieri and we might generate more than 2.5 Mill from selling Cavalieri.

No drama.

Doesnt Bouzanis count though (not 100% sure about the rules)

2.5 million Wasted

Even if we sell Cavlieri 4 more, we coulda used it 2 spend on the LB/F/LW positions

I think this homegrown ruling has so many people in a flap. We don't need to panic, we certainly don't need to splash out on back-up keepers to fulfil quotas. It's EIGHT players need to be homegrown, and you can top up the registered 25 man squad with as many u21s as you like, so the rule is rather token and pointless.

Here's NINE players one person identified who count a while back :

"Carragher, Gerrard, Johnson, Kelly, Darby, Spearing, Insua, Gulacsi, Pacheco"

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=164112

If we sell Insua we can simply buy a homegrown replacement. Gulacsi could sit on the bench, he did a couple of times in the league last season. That was of course before we signed Wilson, Cole and Shelvey so there's 10. I think there's a few double whammies mind, that some of our English/homegrown could be in the squad one way or another, but frankly we shouldn't need more than 25 players. Gerrard, Johnson, Carra, Kelly, Cole, Shelvey, Pacheco and Gulacsi should do fine. If we sign any more that qualify and therefore can use names in that list as U21 then fair does, but I wouldn't go paying £2.5m for an ordinary keeper when we have a keeper (or two if Martin is still here) that qualifies already

It beggars belief so many people get in such a flap about this, last thing we need to do is sign average keepers to fulfil a quota. You look at Arsenal's squad and you'd immediately think they'd be in trouble, but they can manage the quota quite comfortably with players (apparently) including Fabregas, Song, Denilson, Clichy and bendtner as "homegrown" ! That's how naff the rule is
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion