Javier Mascherano
57%
Martin Skrtel
22%
Emiliano Insua
3%

Total votes : 65

Postby GYBS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:So when Fowler come bak he didnt make an impact ?

And i am not just meaning giving the fans a lift either, he scored some vital goals as well as being able to drop deep and play the support role.

Obviously he wasnt the player he was first time around, but intelligence wise he was better than anything we currently have, am talking things like appreciation of space and bringing players into the game etc.

There's two ways of looking at this thread, the way i looked at it...initial impact the player had to the rest of the season.

Or the way the majority have, long term best buy in January, but thats not always what a signing in January is about, ask Harry Redknapp, the amount of times in the past he has signed players just to give the squad a lift and provide something missing for a short period.

Thats why i picked Robbie, nothing sentimental in that.

Can see why some people picked him - think he did well when he came back - wasnt outstanding but wasnt as bad as been made out - he did make an impact both in the stands and on the field but think the other three have overall made bigger impacts.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:57 pm

roberto green wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:i voted for Fowler. no sentiments at all.

just white love juice instead  :D

:D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 pm

I thought Fowler was vital to our run-in that 05/06 season and was a huge reason (along with a fit Harry Kewell) why we reached our highest points total in the league.  He scored five goals for us during the last two months of the season.  All five of those were the all-important first goal of the match and three were the winning goal.  In fact, we ended the season on a 9 game winning streak that Fowler was at the heart of.  His first goal of the 2nd coming, opened the scoring in a 5-1 drubbing of Fulham, which brought to an end a month-long winless streak.  From then on we were on fire, with Robbie providing the goals to see off West Brom, Bolton and Blackburn in successive games in April.  He then finished the season off in style by scoring first against Pompey in our last league match of the season.

So, he may not have had the long-term impact of some others on the list but he's not there purely for sentimental reasons.  Re-signing God was an inspired bit of business from Rafa. :nod
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Some good players get signed in January, long term good buys. We've picked up a few ourselves under Rafa, and players like Evra have joined other clubs. The classic January signing though, is the short term hit who comes in and really impacts on the last four months of the season. Usually it's a seasoned campaigner who chips in with the odd vital goal or perfromance and really gives the squad a lift. It's an oxygen player who can carry a team over line (didn't Ferguson sign Cantona in January? Might be wrong).

For us it was Fowler. He came in and did what we needed at the time (still need now in truth) and put the ball into the onion bag on a regular basis. What's more, he didn't do it when we were already 3-1 up, he scored first goals, only goals, important goals. I reckon he was no more than 50% of the player he was in his prime, but that was more than enough.

Morientes was a poor signing though nobody could have forseen he'd be quite as terrible as he turned out, but he'd take the other prize.

Perhaps we could pick up another "oxygen" player this time. Owen would be the obvious choice, if we can forgive those who trespassed against us.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:So when Fowler come bak he didnt make an impact ?

And i am not just meaning giving the fans a lift either, he scored some vital goals as well as being able to drop deep and play the support role.

Obviously he wasnt the player he was first time around, but intelligence wise he was better than anything we currently have, am talking things like appreciation of space and bringing players into the game etc.

There's two ways of looking at this thread, the way i looked at it...initial impact the player had to the rest of the season.

Or the way the majority have, long term best buy in January, but thats not always what a signing in January is about, ask Harry Redknapp, the amount of times in the past he has signed players just to give the squad a lift and provide something missing for a short period.

Thats why i picked Robbie, nothing sentimental in that.

Good post and a agree.

I believe he had much much bigger impact than people gave him credit for. His performances were excellent aswell and we always looked twice as likely to score when he was on the pitch.

Hang on a minute - you saying the second signing of Fowler was a better signing than Masch, Skrtel or Agger? ???

Those 3 players have had way more influence on the pitch ( and
i doubt Fowlers "influence" off the pitch counters that).

Please state why.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:44 pm

bigmick wrote:Some good players get signed in January, long term good buys. We've picked up a few ourselves under Rafa, and players like Evra have joined other clubs. The classic January signing though, is the short term hit who comes in and really impacts on the last four months of the season. Usually it's a seasoned campaigner who chips in with the odd vital goal or perfromance and really gives the squad a lift. It's an oxygen player who can carry a team over line (didn't Ferguson sign Cantona in January? Might be wrong).

For us it was Fowler. He came in and did what we needed at the time (still need now in truth) and put the ball into the onion bag on a regular basis. What's more, he didn't do it when we were already 3-1 up, he scored first goals, only goals, important goals. I reckon he was no more than 50% of the player he was in his prime, but that was more than enough.

Morientes was a poor signing though nobody could have forseen he'd be quite as terrible as he turned out, but he'd take the other prize.

Perhaps we could pick up another "oxygen" player this time. Owen would be the obvious choice, if we can forgive those who trespassed against us.

spot on...
fowler for me too...

Mascherano AS A LOAN would be a close second ...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 pm

bigmick wrote:Some good players get signed in January, long term good buys. We've picked up a few ourselves under Rafa, and players like Evra have joined other clubs. The classic January signing though, is the short term hit who comes in and really impacts on the last four months of the season. Usually it's a seasoned campaigner who chips in with the odd vital goal or perfromance and really gives the squad a lift. It's an oxygen player who can carry a team over line (didn't Ferguson sign Cantona in January? Might be wrong).

Ok Fowler had an impact...... but far too much of it here is sentlementle.The matches in which he did play he couldn't complete because he was shattered and even tho he was clever on the ball he had lost every bit of pace he ever did have.If he had every bit of an impact that most of you suggest why didn't he get more games and why was there no prem takers when he got released to Cardiff.
roberto green

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I thought Fowler was vital to our run-in that 05/06 season and was a huge reason (along with a fit Harry Kewell) why we reached our highest points total in the league.  He scored five goals for us during the last two months of the season.  All five of those were the all-important first goal of the match and three were the winning goal.  In fact, we ended the season on a 9 game winning streak that Fowler was at the heart of.  His first goal of the 2nd coming, opened the scoring in a 5-1 drubbing of Fulham, which brought to an end a month-long winless streak.  From then on we were on fire, with Robbie providing the goals to see off West Brom, Bolton and Blackburn in successive games in April.  He then finished the season off in style by scoring first against Pompey in our last league match of the season.

So, he may not have had the long-term impact of some others on the list but he's not there purely for sentimental reasons.  Re-signing God was an inspired bit of business from Rafa. :nod

yeah i agree. Fowler for me for sure.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:04 pm

who voted for Insua? please explain.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Effes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Maybe Bob's opening post was too subjective in asking who was "best" as
most seem to be picking Fowler over the remaining season rather than players who've
stayed since.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:12 pm

roberto green wrote:

Ok Fowler had an impact...... but far too much of it here is sentlementle.The matches in which he did play he couldn't complete because he was shattered and even tho he was clever on the ball he had lost every bit of pace he ever did have.If he had every bit of an impact that most of you suggest why didn't he get more games and why was there no prem takers when he got released to Cardiff.

It's all opinions mate. I think he had a big impact, you don't think so, it's cool. I did qualify my "january signing" criteria et the start of the post, and in that sense Fowler fits the bill perfectly.

I'm not saying he's a better player than Masherano, or a better long term signing that Skyrtel, but he came straight in and did what he was brought in for. As you say, he was completely knackered after 45 mins which for me just goes to show what a fantastic footballer he was to be still able to impact on games despite chronic fitness issues.

Put it this way, in the same situation again with the same player available, would you bring him in tomorrow (going back in time a couple of years of course)? Do you think he might have nicked a goal against West Ham, or Fulham, or late on against Hull? He might not be able to run around as much as Dirk Kuyt, but he could do one or two things the Dutchman couldn't as well.

Anyway, like I say it's all about opinions.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 pm

skrtel for me. it seemed like an unknown panic buy to fill the gap left by an injured agger but after a shakey start he's been nothing short of exceptional and a bargain to boot. i'm sure that when he's fit again he'll walk straight into the side, and i'd even go as far as to say i wouldn't be TOO upset if agger did decide to leave. to come in an and become a better defender, and maybe more important to the squad, than our previous 'next hansen' is quite an achievement in my book.

p.s. mr skrtel, sir - will you promise not to hit me now, please?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 pm

bigmick wrote:
roberto green wrote:

It's all opinions mate. I think he had a big impact, you don't think so, it's cool. I did qualify my "january signing" criteria et the start of the post, and in that sense Fowler fits the bill perfectly.

I'm not saying he's a better player than Masherano, or a better long term signing that Skyrtel, but he came straight in and did what he was brought in for. As you say, he was completely knackered after 45 mins which for me just goes to show what a fantastic footballer he was to be still able to impact on games despite chronic fitness issues.

Put it this way, in the same situation again with the same player available, would you bring him in tomorrow (going back in time a couple of years of course)? Do you think he might have nicked a goal against West Ham, or Fulham, or late on against Hull? He might not be able to run around as much as Dirk Kuyt, but he could do one or two things the Dutchman couldn't as well.

Anyway, like I say it's all about opinions.

Id have fowler now over Kuyt to be honest!!!
roberto green

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Alvaro Arbeloa very soild player and has grow with the time he had at club.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm

roberto green wrote:
Alex G. wrote:value for money:

Skrtel - reasonable price - :censored: class.

Totally agree there mate i was going to go for mascha but skrtel has been nothing short of a revelation and will be in the future,he has brought more steel to our team as i thought it was near impossible to better our defence at the time.A close 2nd would be Mascha.

I can't believe people putting Robbie's name just because of what he done previous,ok it give us a lift but let's face it he was past his sell by date by this point.

said it all for me, great posts on both accounts.  :nod
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion