Are manchester united really in decline?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:35 pm

A.B When you've one Championship afte Championship.
Brought through some of the best players in recent years.
You can decide who can do what in the team till then leave it to the professionals

It doesn't matter if he's won championship after championship, it doesnt' mean that his decision will be right about everything. Even with the trophies he won, he managed to lose to Norwich.

The point is that they should had brought in a class natural central midfielder, not convert a striker into one. Ballack or Smith as a midfielder? I'd take Ballack over Smith on any day of the week.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:59 pm

Smith might do a reasonable job at centre midfield for a mid table side, but Manchester United?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:26 pm

My thoughts exactly.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:39 pm

R manure in the decline ? ....er yeah.....

I am not talking only about their football but also about their status as the most popular club in the world.

lets face it...they were popular because of 2 icons...cantona & beckham...now they have no-one to replace those 2 (in charisma & popularity).....

Their recent asian tour did not even sell out  :D ....

so r manure in decline ? yes.

And on the football field......once keane retires and they can't get an able replacement (i ain't talking about alan smith either).....God save them.
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HistoryGirl » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:43 pm

Man U are definitely Fergie should have retired when he originally planned. We're going to finish above Man U this season, the players they have relied on for the past decade are at the end of their careers.

Great post JBG very interesting
You'll Never Walk Alone

Justice for the 96

Blog
HistoryGirl
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:49 pm

I watched United today in their game against Blackburn in what was a very entertaining game.

However, the paucity of United's playing resources shocked me. They had Fletcher and Alan Smith in midfield, which is hardly a basis to go on and dominate for the next decade.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:41 pm

There is a lot of talk of Man UTD signing Michael Ballack next summer.

On a superficial level, at first glance, he would make a brilliant signing.

However, another way of looking at it is that Ballack's signing is merely placing a bandaid over a festering wound, in much the same way as signing Van der Saar was. Ballack is a great player, but he is nearing 30 and Man UTD would only get a maximum of two top class seasons from him, before age and injury gets the better of him.

12 years ago Man UTD could go out and break the transfer record and buy a hungry 22 year old player to fix a problem position. They cannot do that anymore, because Chelsea will simply outbid them (like with Essien).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:19 am

I think fergies just biding his time, waiting for the right player to replace keane and to be honest, i dont really think Utd are worried about the chelsea threat when it comes to signings.They have the bigger name etc and most players would choose utd over chelsea. I dont think theres much wrong with their current team-they still play fast flowing exciting football but they create so many chances and dont capitalize on them,must wreck fergies head when you consider who his forwards are  :D and we think we have problems
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:22 am

Arjen Robben choose Chelsea over Man Utd.

Michael Essien originally was keen on Man UTD but Chelsea completely outbid Utd and Essien was happy enough to go to Stamford Bridge.

Man UTD are in decline, relatively speaking. They are still a very good team, but the fact that Chelsea are bossing the league and the transfer market is testament to UTD's relative decline when compared to their rivals.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby neil » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:33 am

its all swings and roundabouts, man u had their turn, its over for a while. We've since had Arsenal and now it is Chelsea and Liverpools time. Our foundation for upcoming success is built on being tactically astute( with some excellent team players) and chelseas is based on the fact they are dripping with coin. This next week or so will be fascinating. BRING IT ON !
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:42 am

Well I dont know much about  Utds transfer bids -I never even heard they bid for essien but maybe chelsea wanted him more .I believe when ferguson really wants a player like in the rooney case he will get him. I know what you mean about them bossing the league and the transfer market but in doing so then -its not just utd in decline -its everyone
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:57 am

Manchester United looked at Essien early in the summer and for a while, it looked like there might be something in it, as Essien proclaimed that he was a Man UTD supporter.

Chelsea then got involved and UTD never really put together a tangible bid.

The ironic thing is that when Essien was a teenager, he was on trial at UTD, but they passed him over.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:44 pm

JBG wrote:The ironic thing is that when Essien was a teenager, he was on trial at UTD, but they passed him over.

They also accused him of thieving.They told him to take some kit home but he ended up with a few suitcases full of shirts,tracksuits and boots. :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:36 pm

Roy Keane is rumoured to be leaving UTD at the end of this season. I'm sure there will be a big denial over the next few days, but there is no smoke without fire.

Keane is a single minded fella, and once his mind is made up, its made up.

I think he has one last season left in him as a player (he could keep going for another few but Keane will want to bow out at the top), and there's a fair chance that will be at Parkhead.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:12 pm

If Keane goes then they are in serious trouble in central midfield, if they're not already. Scholes is still a good player, but is falling away and Fletcher and Smith are not even a good enough pairing for one of the bottom clubs. Thy have good wide players, but for such a big club they have a very average midfield overall. They desperately need to sign two central midfielders next season IMO if they are to compete, especially when you compare what ourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal has.

They have a reasonable defence however, and Rooney and Ruud are an excellent partnership. They are still a quality side, but their dominance is well and truly over, it's the time of Chelsea now, and I feel we aren't far behind. Arsenal could still be a force too with the quality of youngsters they have at the club and the astuteness of Wenger.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion