Are manchester united really in decline?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:19 pm

No. They are in transition.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:05 pm

the new owners have looked at the past for a green future, you cant draft a new leftback or a rightwinger. Big signings only cost 8 million in the NFL and I dont see them doing that much of it. As alot of people have said their wounds are starting to open and without some sort of cover, the wound will start to puss open. The glazers will give the moneyfor purchases of good buys rather than extravegent ones. Our sissko as the next veira, smaller buys but i dont think fergie has that ability to polish those diamond in the rough type players. To be able to that he needs some leverage with the owners on money. I dont think that is going to happen with the glazers ship. They will stick around for a few years but with places like NewCastle being able to spend more money on players. Im not sure that the ManU of old is going to help to defend of the new challengers.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:27 pm

Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:15 pm

Q. Are manchester united really in decline?

A. not if they buy Owen
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:29 pm

i would say that it  is harder for a team to slip away now than it was for us 15 years ago. We fell away at the worst time, just as money was begining to flow in football. We missed out on the champions league and suffered for that. Now Man utd make so much money it would be impossible for them to completely fall away. They will always be top 5, probably 4th or 5th from now on.
Last edited by RAFABENITEZ on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:46 pm

wow. this is a very in-depth discussion. very impressive.

sorry i couldn't add anything  :blush: but JBG and jonny have summed it up totally

Check This Out

And This

:D  :D :laugh:

very funny :D
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:06 am

I wouldn't say that manure are already in decline, it a double whammy thing.

Chelski are loaded with both talent and money and obviously they are percieved to be at the very top of the tree now. Last season's achievement showed Cheski's quality - record EPL points collection, low goals conceded etc. They have stocked up yet again with overpriced but still quality players - SWP and Essien in particular, I don't know much about Del Horno. Mourinho is nobody's fool, not after steering Porto to 2 successive European titles on a shoestring budget relative to the opposition in general.

Back to the topic at hand, while Chelsea have strengthened in the playing and management department, the mancs may have been weakening in the playing department as Fergie has been getting it more wrong than right on players. However, they still have Rooney and Ronaldo, 2 players who still have yet to reach anywhere near their peak. In Heinze and Rio, they also have quality. They need to get long term replacements for Keane, Scholes and Giggs. Of course, they had clown as goalkeepers and Van der Sar should be a strengthening move. I still think they are good for third place or higher this season if Arsenal slip-up.

It is Fergie who may be in decline as his old powers of motivation and getting the best out of players may be on the wane.

Arsenal have strength and quality, but the squad is a bit thin. Hleb has been impressive for me while we all know about Fabregas. Flumini, van Pierse and Reyes should grow in strength with experience and Gilberto will have come to the fore in Viera's absence. Only their defence, starting with Lehmann looks suspect. They still can play breath taking football.

As for us, we should improve but I think the leap to the top will be a bit of a tall order and we should be challenging for 3rd with the mancs. Of course, improvements beyond that is welcome for me!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:40 pm

IMO manure are not as good as they were there loosing there wonder kids and there better players are aging but I dont think they are as bad off as the manure customers think they are, Mr. Glaizer is there to make money we all no that but he can not make enough money if he lets the team decline. But to chalenge for the title they need more depth and a few more players than they have. I doubt they will win the title again for a long time.
Last edited by Reinas No.1 Fan on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:46 am

I hate them but they really aren't in decline. They will comesecond not far behind Chelsea but a good 10 points ahaed of Arsenal and ourselves.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:26 pm

People are deluded if they think we have a better squad than them. We are only stronger than them in midfield and will be very lucky to get anywhere near them this season imo.

They let in 26 last season in the PL, we let in 41. That was with two dodgy keepers and the dopey Rio banned for the first 2 months. Now they have fixed the Goalie position with a class keeper they look even stronger. They haven't exactly had a bad start defensively either, 0 goals conceded in 5 competitive games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Mikz » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:14 pm

I agree, i dont think they are the team they were, but now van nistelrooys back they look confident. I think theyll go close this year -PAINS me to say it coz theres nothing in life i hate more then them
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:43 pm

Man U in decline ? unfortunately not . I regret to say I think they will recover from there apparent blip and will probably finish in the top two . :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Things look rosy for UTD at the moment. However they have not addressed the problem that has been lingering for the past two seasons or so: how do they replace Keane and Scholes?

Scholes will probably float about for another couple of seasons, but Keane could quit next summer....I can see it happening.

Many people thought that they'd buy a top class midfielder this summer but it hasn't happened. Genuinely top class midfielders cost £20m+ (unless you can find a one in a million bargain like a Patrick Vieira or Xabi Alonso) abnd UTD don't have that kind of cash anymore.

I was surprised to see Phil Neville leave and rumour has it he left because the Glaziers thought that he was dispensible and could cut costs be disposing of him. I don't think the Glaziers will sell star names but they might try and offload squad players like Ole Gunnar Solsjaere, John O' Shea and Quinten Fortune and replace them with inexpensive youth team graduates. O' Shea and Fortune are not the greatest players in the world, but UTD built a lot of their success over the years on the shoulders of squad players like Ronnie Johnsen, David May, Fortune and Nicky Butt. The Glaziers could sell guys on the edges of the team in an effort to make big savings, and this could be disasterous for the side.

UTD have started well but they will have a crisis this season. They have an excellent first 11 when all their players are fit, but they don't have the same strength in debt they had a few years ago.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:38 pm

I agree with JBG. Whilst Utd aren't really poor they haven't fixed the problems they have surrounding the replacements for Keane and Scholes. And now Smith is not the answer despite that Ferguson seems to think so.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Afroman » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:25 pm

A.B. wrote:I agree with JBG. Whilst Utd aren't really poor they haven't fixed the problems they have surrounding the replacements for Keane and Scholes. And now Smith is not the answer despite that Ferguson seems to think so.

A.B When you've one Championship afte Championship.
Brought through some of the best players in recent years.
You can decide who can do what in the team till then leave it to the professionals
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion