Anelka slates houllier - "i never wanted to leave liverpool"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:22 pm

Nicolas Anelka has lamented the fact he has a less than positive reputation in England as he looks to secure a move back to The Premiership.

The talented Frenchman is eager to quit current club Fenerbahce and return to the country in which he made his name with Arsenal.

As a starlet Anelka proved his goalscoring credentials in North London before making a less successful switch to Real Madrid, leaving in acrimonious circumstances.

Later in his career the striker played at both Manchester City and Liverpool and again, his departure from the former drew criticism.

However, Anelka - who is attracting strong interest from Portsmouth - feels his reputation is very much unjust and that it is such rumours that surround his persona that are off-putting to Europe's bigger clubs.

In an outspoken outburst, Anelka has criticised former Liverpool boss and current Lyon incumbent Gerard Houllier for the manner in which he treated him at Anfield during a loan switch.

''You know, I never wanted to leave Liverpool,'' he told L'Equipe. ''It is the best club I know.

''If everything went off as smoothly as I expected, I would have signed for five years at that time, and today, I would be in talks for a contract extension.

''Let’s say when he (Houllier) told me at the last minute he won’t keep me, I found myself in difficulty because I had absolutely not started to talk with any other clubs.

''Finally I joined a club (Manchester City) against my will.''

With Anelka clearly not enamoured with Houllier's man-management skills he has been quick to dismiss reports of a possible return to France, as Lyon ponder over whether to submit an offer.

''I didn't have any direct contact with Lyon,'' he added. ''But I abandoned the idea to come back to France.

''Lyon has not been my priority, moreover, Gerard Houllier is the main reason for what I am enduring at the moment.

''If he did not do that to me at Liverpool, I would not have been playing in minor clubs for four years, where I would never think to play for one day.''

Anelka concluded by offering another riposte, this time in the direction of City, another club whom he feels are partly responsible for the more barren years in his career.

''I heard people from Manchester City said bad things about me when someone asked for information.

''The clubs should rather ask the English players with whom I played.

''That is even more incredible as I never had any trouble in England, except when I asked to leave Arsenal.

''And people forget they sold me for €33 million (£22.5 million) after buying me for €750,000 (£500,000) two years earlier from PSG.

''Now if the great clubs don’t try to hire me, it is never for football reasons.''
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 pm

I thought he was a good player, and he is proven in the Premiership.

The baggage I think Rafa can handle, but I am not sure he fancies the lad to be honest.

I would take him over Kuyt though.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:30 pm

i think if we go back in time it was his brother that was making waves everywhere he went, although i know nicolas sulked a bit but so do a lot of players. i think we should have signed him after his loan.

and its nice to have players making comments like this again

''You know, I never wanted to leave Liverpool,'' he told L'Equipe. ''It is the best club I know.
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 pm

Anelka did a decent job for us and was widely quoted as being "suprised and bitterly disappointed" when Foolier let him go . Despite his reputation re his "attitude" I don't recall him spitting any dummies during his time with us . Pity he wasn't kept on imo .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby davo_LFC » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:33 pm

I'd take him, proven goalscorer in the prem and hes coming into his prime. Hes got everything a striker needs and still has plenty to offer. Rafa could sort him out, and like bellamy, it would be his last chance at the big time. Last chance to win trophies and play for a big club.

Can't see it happening though.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:44 pm

Anelka never lived up to his reputation he had at Arsenal. He was never consistent with his scoring. His enthusiasm was non-existent. I didn't like him and think we could do far better
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:06 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Anelka never lived up to his reputation he had at Arsenal. He was never consistent with his scoring. His enthusiasm was non-existent. I didn't like him and think we could do far better

His goal scoring record for a pityful Citeh team was second to none mate.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Houllier had a choice of players to spend his 10 million on.

Diouf or Anelka.

he got it very wrong.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:15 pm

I would welcome him back. He obviously loves the club. He had no dicisplinary problems while with us. I think Rafa would be able to sort out any problems if they occur. He is proven in the premiership, he has pace, puts himself about, runs at defenders and can put the ball in the back of the net.

While he was with us he was brilliant IMO. He was just not given enough chances by houllier. He did not only contribute with goals but he assisted goals aswell. Involved in everything.

I'd love him back. I hope it happens. As Leon says I'd have him over Kuyt.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 pm

We all took it for granted that there must have been unrest behind the scenes when cluso let him go, we were wrong,

would love to see him back, class act
teamleader1

Postby tubby » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:29 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I thought he was a good player, and he is proven in the Premiership.

The baggage I think Rafa can handle, but I am not sure he fancies the lad to be honest.

I would take him over Kuyt though.

Most definatley. Not only would he be a cheaper option but he is already proven in the Premiership.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PureLoneWolf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:37 pm

I'd take him back, he was shipped out just as he looked to be finding his feet.  Not to mention his comments when EFC were linked..."Everton fans must stop dreaming of me, I have played for Liverpool so I will never ever play for Everton"

Gotta love it
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

"If we lose the ball up front, if the opposition player manages to get past our forwards, and then get past me, its ok, cos I know Carra's behind me, and they aint getting past him" - Stevie G
PureLoneWolf

Postby Garymac » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:26 pm

"His enthusiasm was non-existent. I didn't like him and think we could do far better".

I hope your joking, 8 million for him is an absolute steal and better than any player we have been linked with, id love to se him back.

And as for Problems, can anyone mention anything of any note that he has done wrong in the last 4 years since he left us??

Hes done nothing but get his head down at clubs he probably knows he could do better than, and scored sh!tloads of goals.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby spion » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Some people are so easy. Every player who said he love's liverpool seems to gets praise on here. Fact is Anelka would rather go to a big club than Pompey or Bolton & is trying to gain favour with us liverpool fans. He knows Rafa wants another striker on the books & with Kuyt looking too pricey I for one wouldnt mind seeing Le brat at Anfield.
spion

Postby stoney » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:58 pm

spion wrote:Some people are so easy. Every player who said he love's liverpool seems to gets praise on here. Fact is Anelka would rather go to a big club than Pompey or Bolton & is trying to gain favour with us liverpool fans. He knows Rafa wants another striker on the books & with Kuyt looking too pricey I for one wouldnt mind seeing Le brat at Anfield.

Anelka has always said that he loves Liverpool.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion