No wonder he wanted to leave

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:54 am

Its only 2 weeks into pre-season and i think its a decent result.We cud and prob shud hav scored more but they dun the job and thats all that needed rite now.Match shrpness will come by the start of the season and then the strikers will be scorin.But its a gd sign that our midfield is scorin 2.

Is cisse gonna be playin up front or on the wing this season ???  ???  ???
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:27 am

I think the result was OK, i'm not complaining i didnt expect much. Pre-season games are generally low key and the players are nowhere near match sharpness.
This might of been a competitive game, but the players seemed to play as if they new they could play at 60-70% and still be comfortable.
I agree with big Mick about Morientes, he needs to protect the ball alot better and realise that within a second of recieving the ball he will be challenged.
One thing that did disappoint me (slightly) was the team selection, i know its pre-season and managers give young or unestablished players a chance, but i would not of started Le-Tallec. Dont get me wrong, i think he did OK, but Cisse should of played from the start (as striker) give Cisse and Nando a chance to gel as a partnership imo.
But am happy with things and realistic to know that the first game back was always going to be a bit lacklustre.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:19 am

Considering that the players have just got back to Liverpool, this result is OK. The only worrying thing is that the strikers have not scored.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:20 am

I think the only one at near full fitness was SG himself and that was onoly because he was out to provee a point. But so what if they didnt score 10. They were playing some great football.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:24 am

Little disappointed would have like to have seen a 4 or 5 nil result mainly though due to the fact that we have a long and arduous campaign ahead. I really like to see us bury them in the first home leg and rest up as much of first XI as possible.
Though its very hard to be unhappy about a 3-0 win especially one that has happened in July
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:15 am

Yep...just get the job done, qualufy for the group phase and don't unnecessarily over-extend themselves or get booked/injured etc and keep Baros and Dudek available in the shopping window. No need for fancy stuff and cricket-esque score line.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Ok Ok before anyone kicks off and says they wernt fit its our first commetitive game etc etc.
I am very angry at the 3-0 score line, and I am exremly angry that our strikers fail to put their names on the scoresheet once again.

Last season and even in the CL and CC the goals came from midfield, ok you can say this was down to Michael Owen leaving which has probably a lot of truth in it, and Cisse's injury was horendus, so we cannot blame him, 14 million pound striker out for most of the season.

At Liverpool we have always had prolific goal scorers, Barnes, rush, Aldo, Beardsley, Fowler, owen, and we are now left with a big gap, in this position I am not a football manager but I would say that peter crouch will get us maybe 11-15 goals a season? Is that good enough for a club of our caliber? No I dont think so, ffs for the past few years now we have had this Stevie palava because he is the driving force of our team.

And I dont want that, I mean I want Steven as the driving force but I also want to see ten other men driving the force with him  but theres not theres only 9, him and carra know what it means to play for Liverpool.  They know what it means to us fans how much it hurts with no results, and under performers.

It was the first commetitive game of the season so I will give the squad the benifit of the doubt, but we DO NOT want to see only Steven gerrard doing all the work once again, no matter how much money he's on.

We are Liverpool football club, we are NOT a one man team, its time for them just playing for their pay cheques to earn their cash.
And pronto.

When You Walk, Thru A storm Hold your Head up High.

I suppose there is a first time for everything, and this is it.

CIGGY girl you are so wide of the mark it is not even funny.

1) There is no reason in the book for Stevie to leave other than pure unadulterated greed.

2) Stevie is not forced to take all the resposibility, some times his biggest fault is that he feels the need to do so. This is down to him and not the other players.

3) Last season most of the goals came from midfield cus we had no strikers. Morientes was either injured or not match fit due to his lay off, any match time Cisse enjoyed after his "break" was a god send and Baros was and always has been average at best. Add to that Pongolle and Mellors respective injuries, and we never had a strike force. This is however a posotive and not a negative. Just think what we can do now with one World class striker, and two top class ones and a couple of young up and coming strikers (injury permitting)

4) You said we have always had prolific scorers and I will give you that, but Digger and Quasymodod where midfielders, so using your own way of thinking nothing wrong in that.

5) You say we dont want to see Gerrard doing all the work, and I agree. But I would like to know from where you watched the game last night to think that happened. Alonso ran the show in midfield behind a more advanced Stevie G and Warnock and Finnan saw plenty of the ball at full back.

6) Although Morientes was looking a little off the pace, I am sure that will come with more competetive games. Zenden crossed perfectly when he came on, Xabi knocked it round superbly, Riise tried to be bit fancy at times but worked well, and Potter I though had another excellent game on right midfield. He got behind the opossing full back on a number of occasions at Wrexham including for Moro's goal, and did so again last night. I know its not top class opposition, but I think there might be some hope for him, and if Rafa's giving him a go, then I would not write him off just yet as others have on this thread. The centre halves were untroubled, and that showboat turn from Cara was superb. Reina had diddly squat to do, but one thing impressed me greatly. Let me explain. At Wrexham, we watched the players warm up, and Reina was punching all the crosses. Murrf said to me "I dont like the fu.ckin look of that". There is nothing worse than foreign goal keepers who try and punch and flap at stuff (see Dudek). But one cross he had to deal with last night, he came out and clattered both Riise and the striker, and puched the ball well clear without flinching. Mind at rest.

Ciggy, you know I loves you, but a bit jump the gun that post kiddo.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:50 am

With Stevie already looking sharp in front of goal this ealry in the season and Cisse also looking sharp im sure we wil scroe thos goals we missed last season which coud have turned around a few points for us. Morientes has prven himself on the highest stage o world football and needs only a matter of time before he gets on the scrosheet ona  regular basis. Alonso also look very sharp.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:03 pm

I know what you mean leon and it was the first game, but rafa wasnt to happy either.
Traces of last season where on show last night.
And the mentality of the players has to change.
No one wants to see a repeat of the last few season with half @rsed players.
As I said before you start as you mean to go on.
Of course Im made up we won but I do not want to see Steven gerrard relied on as much as he has been over years. We want to see all the players pulling there weight.
last night I was a bit tipsy so that explains my outburst, you know you cannot get a senisble dissgussion with a drunk :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:22 pm

here we go again,1 game...3-0 win,hat-trick,job done but the whingers are out in force already???
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 pm

neil wrote:here we go again,1 game...3-0 win,hat-trick,job done but the whingers are out in force already???

I said I was drunk didnt I  :angry:  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:38 pm

You don't get cricket scores anymore. Ten years ago, if a Goliath like Liverpool had met a David like TNS, they would have trounced them 10-0 in all probability. But times have changed. Minnows no longer go out to match their top flight opponents, they go out to defend. That match wasn't played against a TNS 4-5-1, it was played against a TNS 10-1-0. But the fact that they only got beaten 3-0, got to walk out at Anfield and play against some of their heroes made the occasion seem like a victory and one of the best days out ever for the team, supporters and everyone. Of course I would have liked to see one of Morientes' 10 chances go in, but the fact that he even had 10 chances is good enough consolation for me. Remember, as the commentators were saying last night, Schools haven't broken up yet, we haven't even started the ashes yet and it's still 360 days until the world cup final!

Last night did provide some possitives though. I know that it was ONLY TNS, but class is permanent right? So here goes.

1. Cisse - It's good to see him as he was at the start of last season and that he has not lost an ounce of that deadly pace which makes him such a threat.

2. Potter - Looked handy to say the least and confident too. Some excellent crosses

3. Zenden - Delivered everything that Harry Kewell has failed to do. He showed pace, flair and skill and although he was only on for 30mins, he seemed full of confidence and ability.

4. Reina - Didn't have much to do at all, but when he needed to do something, he did it properly. None of Dudeks hessitation and flapping punches, but vision and quick release, coupled with a punch so strong, John Arne Riise will never forget it!  :D

So it wasn't all doom and gloom, and I'm sure that as the pre-season progresses they'll regain shape and form. so when we have to start the arduous slog of the prem and the cl and the FA cup and the league cup and whatever else, we'll have the drive, abilty, flair, determination, sharpness and whatever else you need to go far.

:pirate  :buttrock

VIVA LOS RAFA-LUTION!!! VIVA LOS NETO CONTESTACION COMPLETO!!! E VIVA LOS ROJOS PODEROSO!!!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:41 pm

Brilliant post Ace.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:54 pm

A.B. wrote:Brilliant post Ace.

:censored: Lick
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Lyns with post likes that, the auld woman should be in the kitchen when the footys on will arrise more often than not. :D   

I luv you really.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion