No wonder he wanted to leave

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby patkennelly » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:59 am

anyone know where i can obtain a copy of the liverpool versus notts forest game 87/88 season....cheers, pat_kennelly@hotmail.com
patkennelly

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:07 am

captainduck wrote:did get 4 points in the wrexham game..

:D  :D   :O  :O

4 Points!?!?!?!?

you mean goals? Must be a yank  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:24 am

No wonder he wanted to leave

Even though we played in the first gear for most of the game we scored three goals and kept a clean sheet. It doesn't take a cricket type of score to knock out anybody in the CL, we did what needed to be done.

This is our first competitive game since the 25th of May, you should had expected rustyness. Gerrard wasn't the only one who played well. Riise,Zenden,Alonso,Cisse also played well it just happens that Gerrard scored the goals and suddenly we're become a one man team?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:37 am

I agree with that post AB what do people expect .

At the end of the day we won the game so there shouldnt be this negativity surrounding it.
Granted if we play TNS in three months time and got  the same result i could understand the critisism.
But surely you cannot read to much into that result so early on in the season.
66-1112520797

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:41 am

If we show the same rustyness in our first Premiership game then that would be a problem but I don't think that will happen, we have quite a few pre-season friendlies plus CL qualifiers that will help us regain our match fitness.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby hobbes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:10 am

look the goal were scored by Gerrard true. But its a team effort. Gerrard went on and on because he is like that naturally. Thats why he is our driving force.

I like him to be with us, especially now he has proved that he deserve the 100,000.00  pounds weekly salary as he demanded.

But credits to the others as well. I was shocked the way Finann and warnock performed. Warnock's long pass to Letlec, almost won us a goal.

Overall the team showed a positive football spirit. Now they all are performing. Morientes tried several attempt but failed to put the ball in the net. At least he went for it.

The team is driven to perform well, after all Rafa is bringing new players. The players have to show that they deserve to start now.
hobbes

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:28 am

Morientes did have a bad game, he didn't put away the chances he had however it wasn't his night imo. He played well against Wrexham and nicked two goals.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby red_guy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:32 am

i think we'll play better when Premiership starts. just give the guys a few more matches to gain match fitness. :)
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:52 am

i agree with red_guy
hobbes

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:55 am

I also think that we lack fitness. We just resumed training a few weeks ago after a tough season and played only one friendly before that game. I suppose we would see some better football next week in Wrexham. Credits to TNS for their work rate and aggressivity which near cost us two ankles(Morientes and Alonso).
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:08 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Ive just had a big fat arguement with me mum :angry:  over the game, you would think I would be happy. But Im not continous sh.it from the bitters escpecially family members :angry: , oh the Champions of Europe cant get a cricket score against TNS etc etc, Ciggys made up but p.issed off.
You start as you mean to go on, a lot of us will run out of patients if we see a repeat of goals only coming from the midfield this season, and we are well known as the most patient fans.
No journey men aloud anymore.
We are the Champions of Europe well do your best lads go out and prove it. :)

It's not the thing for us to get cricket scores against such teams as TNS in the 1st Qulifying round !!
We've got a long season ahead of us and we don't need to see push our strenght when we don't need to , and in that case we REALLY don't need to.

Get a comfortable cushion, then preserve strenght.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:57 am

this is the start of a long haul. we didn't achieve a cricket score but we dominate the game playing only in 1st gear. the boys will slowly picked up steam once they get a couple of friendlies in their belt. overall i thought they played quite well with the exception of nando who missed a couple of sitters. i still think he will come good but we now do need another striker just in case.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:03 am

Usually when you play against a team of part-timers, you would expect that the Premiership stars superior fitness would tell probably towards the end of the first half. The second half would then be a cake-walk allowing you to run up a cricket score. Unfortunately, the fitness levels of the two teams are probably about the same right now so you have to rely purely on quality to see you through.
On the night we didn't show enough to be honest. The defence were untested but forward of that I would give plus points to Gerrard and Cisse only. Almost everything can be put down to rustiness and the lack of credible opposition but the form of Morientes in particular continues to give me grave concerns.
Unless he can develop the physical side of his game he will not be a success in British football, of that I am certain. A player with his fairly limited pace has to be able to protect the ball. In English football the defenders will not stand back while you survey the scene, they will muscle you off the ball if they can get to you. Nando needs to realise this or his undoubted class will be on view only for a few more months in England IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:44 am

I thought their keeper had a great game for them, otherwise you could well have been looking at a good 6-0 result. You have to hand it to them they did o.k defensively and their fitness levels were higher then i expected.
RED ANT

Postby RED ANT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:46 am

I wonder if Everton had any scouts at the game. I reckon a few of the T.N.S. players could improve their team. :p
RED ANT

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion