Alonso just as big a player as gerrard? - Also good luck djibril

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby morientes_gerrard » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:24 pm

Juventus game: Alonso played, Gerrard out.

Xabi looked emense and it was his first game back. His vision and ability to pass is just amazing. Gerrard is a big player yes but is Xabi more key?

Also good to see Djibs back in the squad, and I wish him well!

So Xabi or Gerrard?  Is it possible to be a force without Stevie G next season woth Alonso around?
morientes_gerrard

Postby barnesrush » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:35 pm

quick answer yes
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 pm

we are a force with xabi... we are a force with stevie

id rather be a force with both than just with one.
just a shame that so far they havent had much to do together as one ro the other is always injured, lets see how the rest of the season goes
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Macgregor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:01 pm

Alonso and Gerrard a mouthwatering combo !!
Alonso was immense against Juventus, shirked no tackles, controlled the supply of Liverpool ball, he was the heartbeat of the team. Gerrard would have added the driving force, if only we can get the two together !!  We will rip the heart out of Europe !!
Red Macgregor

Postby Ciggy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:27 pm

Xabi the coolest player at liverpool and the best :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:31 pm

I think Xabi is as good as Gerrard, the best thing about it he is still young and will get even better, but I think both playing in the team would be a blessing :)
Last edited by Paul C on Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coolsobs » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:38 pm

previously i would have said that xabi would need to work on his takling to become a better defensive player but in that game his tackling was amazing
coolsobs

Postby JohnnyAldridge fan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:41 pm

Personally I beleve with both we have the best midfield pairing in the premiership,we havent seen a  better passer of the ball since Molby when it comes to Alonso.
JohnnyAldridge fan

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:46 pm

He is a defensive player with that ability to create. Where as Gerrard is a defensive player with the ability to drive forward.

Both have the potential and correct mix of talent to become immense. What Gerrard needs to realise is he'll never control a game like Alonso does and never be able to pass like Alonso does, Gerrard needs to play his own game, have Xabi in the there with him playing his own game and we'll be laughing.

Alonso and Gerrard are both capable of holding and creating and they need to find the right mix. Xabi is Similar to Hamann in the way they are both holding midfielders, but he has an attacking intend in every pass.

He's a deep lying play maker. Gerrard is sort of an attack minded ball winner. They have the right mix, its just weather they can be moulded into a partnership.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:22 pm

I think Stu that Benitez has 3 central midfielders in mind in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Look at what he has played this season when he has had most of his midfielders fit:

Alonso         Hamman

Gerrard          Garcia          Riise

This is echoed by Benitez' Valencia side, when he would play Aimar, Albelda and Baraja in the centre.

Gerrard could learn a lot from Alonso. Gerrard has many bad habits such as his desire to hit killer balls with every touch, when really 90% of really good midfield play means recycling and keeping posession.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby the return of HAS » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:33 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I think Stu that Benitez has 3 central midfielders in mind in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Look at what he has played this season when he has had most of his midfielders fit:

Alonso         Hamman

Gerrard          Garcia          Riise

This is echoed by Benitez' Valencia side, when he would play Aimar, Albelda and Baraja in the centre.

Gerrard could learn a lot from Alonso. Gerrard has many bad habits such as his desire to hit killer balls with every touch, when really 90% of really good midfield play means recycling and keeping posession.

Spot on JBG.

I don't think the Gerrard is that well suited to the way Rafa wants to play anyway. Rafa likes his players to play a short passing game. Gerrard hasn't developed that part of his game yet. It's the final stage for him and I think he will have to learn that at Chelsea because they play that way a lot.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:44 pm

I think he will have to learn that at Chelsea because they play that way a lot.

I disagree about him going to Chelsea.

Mourinho has two good midfielders that are both essential to his squad, Makalele is the unsung hero in the midfield. He does all the dirty work, and does it well while Lampard goes forward.

If Gerrard were to come Chelsea would Mourinho bench Makalele or Lampard in order to play Gerrard? I don't think so. Gerrard and Lampard are too a like in my opinion and therefore the central-midfield would be a ruin for Chelsea thats why I don't see Gerrard going to Chelsea.

I think Gerrard would be at his best at Barcelona.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby the return of HAS » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:46 pm

A.B. wrote:
I think he will have to learn that at Chelsea because they play that way a lot.

I disagree about him going to Chelsea.

Mourinho has two good midfielders that are both essential to his squad, Makalele is the unsung hero in the midfield. He does all the dirty work, and does it well while Lampard goes forward.

If Gerrard were to come Chelsea would Mourinho bench Makalele or Lampard in order to play Gerrard? I don't think so. Gerrard and Lampard are too a like in my opinion and therefore the central-midfield would be a ruin for Chelsea thats why I don't see Gerrard going to Chelsea.

I think Gerrard would be at his best at Barcelona.

They play this system and probarly with these players next season:

Cech

Ferrira Terry Gallas(Carvalho) New Left Back

Makelele
             Gerrard              Lampard
   Joaquin                                    Robben

Drogba(or new striker, possibly Adriano)
Last edited by the return of HAS on Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tlplaya » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:49 pm

agreed, if the two got a chance to play together that would be great, a powerful combo of finess, control and xabis defense if this keeps going. Now when we consider that gerrard could possibly leave ,we shouldnt forget that another world class midfielder could take his place. personally i think that if benitez  uses the 4-2-3-1 a  quick fast moving fast paced player like ronaldinho would be an even better asset, do you guys agree??
if the 4-4-2 is played , than again a a midfielder that is fast paced and intelligent with the ball yet defensivly effective is needed. you guys agree? ????
Tlplaya

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:50 pm

Cech

Ferrira Terry Gallas(Carvalho) New Left Back

Makelele
            Gerrard              Lampard
  Joaquin                                    Robben

Drogba(or new striker, possibly Adriano)

Considering that the Russian's favorite player is Duff, I doubt that he will be left out of the squad. Joaquin will end up joing Real Madrid.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion