Alex Miller leaves the Liverpool backroom staff - Good Bye, Good Luck and Best Wishes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Rafa Benitez has confirmed first-team coach Alex Miller will leave Anfield to become manager of J League side JEF United Chiba. 
The Scot leaves for Japan after nearly a decade at Liverpool both as chief scout and, since 2004, as part of the coaching staff.

Benitez confirmed Miller would be replaced over the summer.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It is very positive news for Alex. This is a very good opportunity for him to coach in Japan.

"It means we will be promoting some of the existing coaching staff and also over the summer we will be looking to bring in a replacement.

"We have some names and options but need more discussion first.

"I want to wish Alex all the best in his new job."

Chiba are bottom of the J League standings after collecting two points from 11 games so far this season - a run which led to Croatian coach Josip Kuze being sacked on Wednesday.

Miller enjoyed a 15-year playing career with Rangers before earning his European coaching licence.

His managerial CV includes South China AA, St Mirren and Hibernian, who he led to the Scottish League Cup. 

So it looks like another of our staff members is off this summer. Be interesting to see who comes in for him.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby metalhead » Thu May 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Good luck in japan alex!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu May 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Good luck Alex, see you back in blighty in six months! :p
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Sammy Lee coming in his place or maybe as Rafa's no.2 ?
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:08 pm

There'll be no back-room staff left at this rate.

We've lost Ochotorrena, Herrera, Ayesteran and now Miller.  Pretty much Rafa's entire staff from when he took over has now left.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 08, 2008 6:35 pm

john craig wrote:There'll be no back-room staff left at this rate.

We've lost Ochotorrena, Herrera, Ayesteran and now Miller.  Pretty much Rafa's entire staff from when he took over has now left.

Might be quicker and easier sacking Rafa and letting the new manager pick his own backroom staff  :D
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:43 pm

s@int wrote:
john craig wrote:There'll be no back-room staff left at this rate.

Might be quicker and easier sacking Rafa and letting the new manager pick his own backroom staff  :D

:laugh:

Nah it's cheaper keeping Rafa, he doesn't need coaching staff, he's that good at multi-tasking he must be a female :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Never heard of him and i think sammy lee would be a good number 2
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri May 09, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm happy for Alex Miller. For some reason I like the man a lot.

He has an age, and the ridiculously high wages of Japan league for foreign coaches will allow him to have a great retirement.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Manhattan was offered a management role in the J-League once.

But I got into a fight with the Japanese people when they referred to Doctor Robotnik from Sonic The Hedgehog as "Eggman"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri May 09, 2008 8:59 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Manhattan was offered a management role in the J-League once.

But I got into a fight with the Japanese people when they referred to Doctor Robotnik from Sonic The Hedgehog as "Eggman"

:upside:  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 9:07 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Manhattan was offered a management role in the J-League once.

:laugh:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Sammy Lee heads back to Liverpool as assistant manager

May 9 2008 by Tony Barrett & David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ wants to make Sammy Lee his new assistant manager.

The Reds boss is looking to move quickly to add to his backroom staff after first team coach Alex Miller quit the club to take the manager’s job at Japanese side JEF United Chiba.

Lee, who served Liverpool with distinction as a player and a coach, is at the top of Benitez’s wish list and an approach could be imminent if approved by both Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Publicly, Benitez says there are several names under consideration for the role but privately he has already decided Lee is his best man.

And having not had an assistant since Pako Ayesteran left Anfield under a cloud earlier this season, he will take the opportunity to fill that position rather than making a direct replacement for Miller.

Should Lee be appointed it will go down well with senior members of the Liverpool playing staff who are known to have enjoyed working with him in his spell as a coach during Gerard Houllier’s tenure.

In an eight-year playing career at Anfield Lee amassed a glittering array of honours that included three League titles, two European Cups and four League Cups.

An infectious enthusiasm and unquestionable commitment made him a firm crowd favourite, before injury and loss of form saw some sections of the crowd turn on him and he moved on to QPR.

After spells at Osasuna, Southampton and Bolton, Lee returned to Anfield under Graeme Souness in 1993.

He impressed as reserve team coach and in 1999 was promoted to first team coach under Gerard Houllier.

His coaching potential did not go unnoticed by those at the FA, however, and in July 2004 he left Anfield a second time to become a full-time member of the England coaching set-up.

Handed his first job as full-time manager at Bolton in March 2007, he survived just 14 games and has been out of the game since then.

On Miller’s departure Benitez said: “It is very positive news for Alex.

“This is a very good opportunity for him to coach in Japan and I want to wish Alex all the best in his new job.

“I am considering new staff for the new season. We are checking some names and will be in contact with them and see what we can do.”

Meanwhile, contrary to speculation, Liverpool have not received an offer from Inter Milan for captain Steven Gerrard.

And, as revealed in the ECHO earlier this week, the Reds have no interest in Barcelona left-back Eric Adibal.

Benitez confirmed rumours suggesting the French international is Anfield bound are totally unfounded.

He said: "I do not like to talk about players but he is not a player we are looking for."
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion