Alonso just as big a player as gerrard? - Also good luck djibril

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:29 pm

yeah we played well and fair due`s to spurs they played some slick stuff too, they`ve a long tradition of keeping it on the deck and they didnt try to take the easy way out like a lot of clubs do these days and try to be destructive rather than constructive e.g blackburn, everton and bolton.
i was concerened about pellegrino today, looked worryingly slow, and we missed some great chances. its going to be tight to get fourth and it wouldnt surprise me if united field a team of kids and makeweights midweek against everton just to spite us.
just seems so unfair we never had alonso and gerrard playing in the centre all season, this one has definatley been a season of what could have been - in the league anyway.
we`ll give chelsea all they can handle in the champions league if we keep them fit.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:30 pm

Can't wait to see Xabi's masterclass on MOTD tonight. Listened to the game on city fm with some suitably biased punditry from Aldo and it sounds like he had an absolute blinder of a game....        ....all after coming back from a serious injury

Take into account his age and imagine JUST HOW GOOD will become, then remember he cost the same as Heskey and Diouf
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:40 pm

I watched the game today and Xabi was unbelievable. It's one of the best midfield performances I've seen by anyone. He just controlled the game brilliantly and his range of passing beggars belief. As for the game itself. Although disappointed with the result, the performance was very good and the signs ofr the future are extremely promising. On another day we would have scored 4 or 5 and not conceded. Just think of the Spurs goals. The first one was special. Nothing anyone could do about it, the second one should have been cleared by Pele, and even then it took a bad deflection of Jamie as I think Jerzy had it covered. The furure is looking good :D
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:44 pm

Woollyback wrote:Can't wait to see Xabi's masterclass on MOTD tonight. Listened to the game on city fm with some suitably biased punditry from Aldo and it sounds like he had an absolute blinder of a game....        ....all after coming back from a serious injury

Take into account his age and imagine JUST HOW GOOD will become, then remember he cost the same as Heskey and Diouf

Wooly, get ready to drool. Passing from heaven. :)
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:35 am

stu_the_red wrote:He is a defensive player with that ability to create. Where as Gerrard is a defensive player with the ability to drive forward.

Both have the potential and correct mix of talent to become immense. What Gerrard needs to realise is he'll never control a game like Alonso does and never be able to pass like Alonso does, Gerrard needs to play his own game, have Xabi in the there with him playing his own game and we'll be laughing.

Alonso and Gerrard are both capable of holding and creating and they need to find the right mix. Xabi is Similar to Hamann in the way they are both holding midfielders, but he has an attacking intend in every pass.

He's a deep lying play maker. Gerrard is sort of an attack minded ball winner. They have the right mix, its just weather they can be moulded into a partnership.

perfectly summarized Stu, different players. Gerrard is very much all out agression and pace, whereas Alonso has the ability to dictate the pace of the game. much calmer on the ball.

I woul go as far as saying Alonso is a more accomplished player than Gerrard, and more consistent.

Both excellent players with different and complimetnary atrributes. Hopefully Stevie G realises this and wants to keep what is possibly the best midfield partnership in Europe alive.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jericho » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:59 am

I do think xabi is much better then gerrard in terms of teamwork, passing and shooting. I know i will get flame here.. but don't u guys think that without gerrard, the team is better? I don't mean that gerrard is not a good player, but the team overall fare much better without him.. and they got the end result to prove it..
Jericho

Postby Santa » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:02 am

LFC #1 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:He is a defensive player with that ability to create. Where as Gerrard is a defensive player with the ability to drive forward.

Both have the potential and correct mix of talent to become immense. What Gerrard needs to realise is he'll never control a game like Alonso does and never be able to pass like Alonso does, Gerrard needs to play his own game, have Xabi in the there with him playing his own game and we'll be laughing.

Alonso and Gerrard are both capable of holding and creating and they need to find the right mix. Xabi is Similar to Hamann in the way they are both holding midfielders, but he has an attacking intend in every pass.

He's a deep lying play maker. Gerrard is sort of an attack minded ball winner. They have the right mix, its just weather they can be moulded into a partnership.

perfectly summarized Stu, different players. Gerrard is very much all out agression and pace, whereas Alonso has the ability to dictate the pace of the game. much calmer on the ball.

I woul go as far as saying Alonso is a more accomplished player than Gerrard, and more consistent.

Both excellent players with different and complimetnary atrributes. Hopefully Stevie G realises this and wants to keep what is possibly the best midfield partnership in Europe alive.

Right on. Alonso and Gerrard should compliment each other to form arguably the most attractive midfield force in football, but at this moment (since Xabi return), I will have to value Xabi's contribution more than Stevie's, but that's just me.

In footballing terms, I'll have to honestly say that it will be more beneficial for Stevie to stay where he is right now and not to seek a move. See...our injury list is beginning to clear off, team is finally gelling, Rafa is slowly getting up on his feet to English football, we are definately moving in the right direction, a CL is very much a possibility and with additional summer signings, we will definately be a force and Stevie can be a central part of all this instead of being another peripheral figure in the mafia org.

Now on to the supporting cast...what happened to Warnock? I though Riise and Nunez both played well. Garcia is beginning to score some beauty (at the same time miss good opportunities). Dudek save well a certain winning goal and can't be faulted for both the goals, Hyypia and Carra played well again. Only concern is Pellegrino.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:07 am

I might get critisized for saying this but like all English players who have talent, Gerrard has been hyped up by the media,players,managers and he's been caught up in his own hype.

Alonso imo is a player we've missed the most when he was injured therefore at this point of time he's a better player than Gerrard. I am not saying SG isn't good but Alonso plays to his strengths and plays to them very well. He doesn't do things that are not needed, simple but effective.

Alonso is a great player already but because he's not English he hasn't been hyped up.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:13 am

Alonso was spraying his 30~40 yards pin-point passes all day with incredible precision, but he is not afraid to pass 3 yards to a team mate if no suitable opening is available. It was a joy to see those passes landed at the feet of the receipient...amazing. Gerrard is all power and aggression and he should concentrate on that and leave the build up to Alonso. Then we will begin to see an awesome midfield partnership.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Macgregor » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:29 pm

the return of HAS wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:I think Stu that Benitez has 3 central midfielders in mind in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Look at what he has played this season when he has had most of his midfielders fit:

Alonso         Hamman

Gerrard          Garcia          Riise

This is echoed by Benitez' Valencia side, when he would play Aimar, Albelda and Baraja in the centre.

Gerrard could learn a lot from Alonso. Gerrard has many bad habits such as his desire to hit killer balls with every touch, when really 90% of really good midfield play means recycling and keeping posession.

Spot on JBG.

I don't think the Gerrard is that well suited to the way Rafa wants to play anyway. Rafa likes his players to play a short passing game. Gerrard hasn't developed that part of his game yet. It's the final stage for him and I think he will have to learn that at Chelsea because they play that way a lot.

Absolute rollocks, Gerrard is excellent at quick short passes.
Red Macgregor

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:01 pm

What Gerrard have you been watching? ???
115-1073096938

Postby Red Macgregor » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:15 pm

Gerrard moves the ball quicker than most, his major problem is that some of his instant short passes can be dangerous 'hospital passes' on to badly positioned or marked players. 
Don't underestimate Gerrard, you sound as though you are making excuses, to say that we are not going to miss him if he goes. Of course he will be missed he is a great player!!
Just as Micky Owen has been missed this season, if he had still been here, he would have bagged 20 goals by now and we would have been challenging for one of the top three slots and not f&rting around in 6th slot.
Red Macgregor

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:16 pm

Gerrard plays many, many short passes successfully to keep midfield possession. He can have great  awareness in his passing. He played a beautiful quick pass to put Steve Finnan through at the end of the match yesterday. He IS guilty of attempting the perfect long pass too much.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Macgregor » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:50 pm

A.B. wrote:I might get critisized for saying this but like all English players who have talent, Gerrard has been hyped up by the media,players,managers and he's been caught up in his own hype.

Alonso imo is a player we've missed the most when he was injured therefore at this point of time he's a better player than Gerrard. I am not saying SG isn't good but Alonso plays to his strengths and plays to them very well. He doesn't do things that are not needed, simple but effective.

Alonso is a great player already but because he's not English he hasn't been hyped up.

Agree with that.
I think that Gerrard is not experienced in understanding the media.
He handles himself well on TV, keeps it simple and steers away from dangerous ground.
But I am not sure that he is wise enough to differentiate between hype and comment of true value, with respect to his own press.
I suspect that he quietly enjoys feeding his ego, hence his initial interest in falling for the Chelski £harm of cups filled with adulation, power and gold.
I also think he has some wiser heads in his family, who are helping to keep his feet on the ground, let's hope that they prevail until Stevie develops the wisdom to go with his talents and that he remains with us.
Alonso is without doubt, the best signing since Ian Rush, an absolute star and with no disrespect to Carra, probably the future skipper if SG follows his ego.
Red Macgregor

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:51 pm

Santa wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

Right on. Alonso and Gerrard should compliment each other to form arguably the most attractive midfield force in football, but at this moment (since Xabi return), I will have to value Xabi's contribution more than Stevie's, but that's just me.

In footballing terms, I'll have to honestly say that it will be more beneficial for Stevie to stay where he is right now and not to seek a move. See...our injury list is beginning to clear off, team is finally gelling, Rafa is slowly getting up on his feet to English football, we are definately moving in the right direction, a CL is very much a possibility and with additional summer signings, we will definately be a force and Stevie can be a central part of all this instead of being another peripheral figure in the mafia org.

Now on to the supporting cast...what happened to Warnock? I though Riise and Nunez both played well. Garcia is beginning to score some beauty (at the same time miss good opportunities). Dudek save well a certain winning goal and can't be faulted for both the goals, Hyypia and Carra played well again. Only concern is Pellegrino.

pelle did make some great plays yesterday, yes he was caught standing there. He did make some good tackles and moved the ball up. I dont think he should be said about so harshly, for the most part he is doing his job to bring experience of rafas tactics to the club.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion