Alonso just as big a player as gerrard? - Also good luck djibril

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:52 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:You can see a mile off they only want gerrard to give fat frank a rest, and Duff was saying today thats hes knackerd the whole team are, thats why they are conceding goals of late :O

With the finances they have, it is not a problem for them to pay hugh salaries and add big names players to their squad. Their ambition is to round up the top players in Europe and win every tournament they participated. To do that you need big name players outside your first XI.

I seriously think it's time the FA introduce a salary cap in the premiership otherwise you will see Chelsea tapping up every good players (incl those from Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool) and make the league their own.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bedlovedays » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:50 am

the return of HAS wrote:I don't think the Gerrard is that well suited to the way Rafa wants to play anyway. Rafa likes his players to play a short passing game. Gerrard hasn't developed that part of his game yet. It's the final stage for him and I think he will have to learn that at Chelsea because they play that way a lot.

god boy you really talk some ******!!!!!!!!!   :kungfu:

Gerrard has not learned how to make short passes,, how on earth did he become one of the world's best midfielders if he hasn't developed his short passing game!!!!!!!

really!!!
bedlovedays

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:54 am

Am not into salary capping its up to the clubs what they want to pay, and some players are better than others so deserve a bettter salary ( admittedly not as much as they get)but thats the way football is. Lets see how many of these players they actually get cos from my point of view they wont get any of the BIG 3 they have been linked with (GERRARD FERDINAND, ASHLEY COLE) out of them Gerrard is the only one not negotiating a new contract...the other 2 are both likely to stay with their clubs and are trying to engineer better deals.
With regards to the prospect of an Alonso Gerrard midfield partnership on paper it could easily be the best in Europe, with Alonso controlling of the game through picking the right pass almost every time...an Stevies driving the team forward, battling qualities and goals, not many sides could overrun or cope with them.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:15 pm

Xabi not as key a player as Gerrard . . . yet.  He is only young and he will be immense for us.

Gerrard is still the captain and without him god knows where we'd have been the last 2 seasons, lets not forget that or jump on the Xabi bandwagon after his superb display vs Juve

Gerrard and Xabi will play together next season, honestly don't think Gerrard will go anywhere next season, not with the progress we're making under Rafa - champ lge semi in 1st season!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:26 pm

bedlovedays wrote:
the return of HAS wrote:I don't think the Gerrard is that well suited to the way Rafa wants to play anyway. Rafa likes his players to play a short passing game. Gerrard hasn't developed that part of his game yet. It's the final stage for him and I think he will have to learn that at Chelsea because they play that way a lot.

god boy you really talk some ******!!!!!!!!!   :kungfu:

Gerrard has not learned how to make short passes,, how on earth did he become one of the world's best midfielders if he hasn't developed his short passing game!!!!!!!

really!!!

What I meant by that coment is that, Gerrard hasnt learnt when to slow the tempo down and play a short passing game, rather than rushing off and trying to do everything himself. Sometimes he gets too excited and just hiting everyball long and trys to win the game on his own. He needs to control his game a bit more and bring others into play.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:04 pm

john craig wrote:Xabi not as key a player as Gerrard . . . yet.  He is only young and he will be immense for us.

Care to change your statement after today's game?

How do you know Gerrard will be going no where next season? Statement from within the club seems to be preparing us for the loss of SG. I won't go into debate whether he will/will not leave. I just can't be bothered anymore. The club WILL progress with or without Gerrard.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:23 pm

Gerrard will stay im sure of that. But,if he doesn't then forty million and keeping Alonso will allow us to finance a great team.

Alonso was absolutely unbelievable today, he only mis-placed one pass.  I thought Molby was the best that i had seen for vision, (too young for Souness) but i change my mind now, cos he is the best passer of a ball in world football. More performances like that and Madrid and barca will pay a massive fee for that boy.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:41 pm

Santa wrote:
john craig wrote:Xabi not as key a player as Gerrard . . . yet.  He is only young and he will be immense for us.

Care to change your statement after today's game?

How do you know Gerrard will be going no where next season? Statement from within the club seems to be preparing us for the loss of SG. I won't go into debate whether he will/will not leave. I just can't be bothered anymore. The club WILL progress with or without Gerrard.

No.  One game does not change my opinion and neither it should
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:55 pm

Alonso is a completely different class of player to Gerrard. He's far better in terms of playing to strengths, in terms of what they can do (ability) and there potential theres nothing in it. In terms of knowing his limits and what he can and can't do Alonso is streets ahead.

Gerrard tactically and composure wise is distinctly average. His short passing and lack of movement times causes huge problems and his glory passes hardly ever come off.

Gerrard has a fantastic level of ability, but he doesn't play to his strengths.

Unlike Xabi. If Gerrard leaves he will never fulfill his potential. If he stays, playing along side a player of Xabi's class and with Morientes and having a coach like Benitez he could become one of the worlds greats in a team with a perfect mix. Go to Chelsea Stevie and you'll only slightly improve beyond you're current level, which isn't quite what its made out to be.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:11 pm

Top post Stu.
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:14 pm

Alonso's performance today was absolutely astonishing. How the hell did we fail to win that game with him running the show? ??? ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:25 pm

jonnymac1979

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:32 pm

Fanx Johnny :D
115-1073096938

Postby fivecups » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:48 pm

It's a great discussion to be able to have:

'Which of our central midfielders is more world class than the other?'

It's a difficult question to answer. As said they are different types of midfielder. Xabi is made to play in front of the back four, protecting them and distributing the ball to the rest of the midfield and the strikers. His passing is sublime - his performance today was as good a display of passing as I've ever seen - simply unbelievable. Despite the draw, there was real quality in our play today, it seemed to emanate from Xabi and settle on everyone else.

Steven Gerrard has been the best Liverpool player in a red shirt since John Barnes at his peak. He is more offensive than Alonso. He's also more versatile - he can play the holding role if needed - as he does for England. He can play on either wing if required although I think that's a waste, and he's likely to give you 10 goals in a season. He's a world class passer of the ball - not many people can play those raking cross-field passes so successfully. He's got natural ability, vision, pace and he can tackle. He's got desire and can run the whole match and not get tired. He too, can dictate the pace of matches, and he can win matches. He's not perfect - we all know he tries to do too much himself, he can loose possession, can be too elaborate and loose form like the first couple of months of this year. Most damaging of all, when he thinks too much he can't play and he does get injured. But he's not over-rated. Im not the only person that thinks this. There's a reason why he's worth £30 million, and every big team in Europe want him in their midfield.   

Im glad I don't have to choose!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Yes, there was real quality in our display today at times. Obviously we are all disapointed with a draw and the league is going to be difficult now, but its becoming clear that we could be a genuine force next season.

We have our weaknesses (and they are many) but we have reached certain levels of midfield play this season that no other team in England has matched.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion