A case for the defence - Major overhaul?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm wrote:Skrtel isnt good enough - he cant dominate in the air, he lunges in too much on the ground and the main reason why Carra came back is because Skrtel cant organise at the back.

Should have sold him in the summer when we had the chance of a big fee

Why can't Agger organise the back then?

Skertel is more dominant in the air than both Agger and Carra, that;s not saying much but still. His lunging has become MUCH better timed and he's now become our defensive scapegoat.

One of them had to miss out and Aggers ability on the ball puts him ahead of Skrtel.

His form last season was a golden period as opposed to the norm

Doesn't mean Carra should be in for Skertel though, had Skertel have done a Carra Zenit back pass he would have been dropped right after that.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Someone needs to organise back there and it seems Carra is that person so either Agger or Skrtel will miss out - Agger will always win that battle and Skrtel missing out  IMO
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Think CB will be our biggest priority this summer. 

Carra is retiring.
Skrtel seems to have fallen out of favour and fallen out with Rodgers.  Also not sure he fits the system we're hoping to achieve.
Coates, Wisdom and Kelly aren't ready to be CB in a top side. (maybe backup)

The high line and pressing game Rodgers wants us to play can't be achieved at the moment because Carra is too slow and we're sitting much deeper.  This then affects Lucas and Allen because they can't really press when there is too much space.

Be interesting to see who Rodgers targets.  But it will have to be someone with a bit of pace that can play a high line and preferably good in the air also.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm

jacdaniel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am wrote:it will have to be someone with a bit of pace that can play a high line and preferably good in the air also.

Skrtel.
kartiek

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm

kartiek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm wrote:
jacdaniel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am wrote:it will have to be someone with a bit of pace that can play a high line and preferably good in the air also.

Skrtel.

I dont think Skrtel can play the high line - i think thats his major problem this season .
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm wrote:
kartiek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm wrote:

Skrtel.

I dont think Skrtel can play the high line - i think thats his major problem this season .

Agree.  He makes too many mistakes and in this system he also isn't really comfortable enough on the ball.   
He was much better under Roy and Kenny when we were playing deeper.

Would be sad to see him go but I do think we might need someone different for what we're trying to do.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

i'm not sure ashley williams is the answer who we've been linked with. it's one thing playing well for swansea. it's a different kettle of fish doing it for a side who want top 4 next season. i don't see him as a top 4 player and i'm also not a fan of his attitude. he thinks he's a lot better than he is and was also another one who was running his mouth off about suarez ealier in the season.

de vrij on the other hand who we are linked with would be a class signing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kartiek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 pm

stmichael » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:24 pm wrote:i'm not sure ashley williams is the answer who we've been linked with. it's one thing playing well for swansea. it's a different kettle of fish doing it for a side who want top 4 next season. i don't see him as a top 4 player and i'm also not a fan of his attitude. he thinks he's a lot better than he is and was also another one who was running his mouth off about suarez ealier in the season.

de vrij on the other hand who we are linked with would be a class signing.

Agree, Ashley Williams' comments about wanting to break suarez's legs or something earlier in the season are not welcome at all. I'd take de vrij over him any day if indeed we had to let go of skrtel
kartiek

Postby stmichael » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 am

today was just further confirmation of what we already knew really. defensively we were all over the shop both individually and collectively. skrtel had a mare (not surprising given lack of games in recent weeks) and johnson's form has dipped aswell. it doesn't exactly help when you start the game without an out and out defensive midfielder to help the defence out either.

if we got a decent offer for skrtel i'd sell personally. he's easily replaceable where as agger would be harder to replace. we also need another top class left back as enrique is better deployed further forward.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 am

we need a colossus in the ron yeats/ larry lloyd/ sami hyypia mould imo, someone who will attack the ball, clear our lines and do the bread and butter aspects of defending well.
when you look at the stats our defence doesnt appear to be that bad but imo the numbers dont tell the whole story, a lot of the time because of our midfield dominance teams just havent been able to put our back 4 under pressure, but any team that does manage to get us on the back foot usually scores.
our defensive unit isnt one of those `remember the alamo` type back 4`s that can hold out against wave after wave of attack.
once sustained pressure starts we crumble. we`ve thrown quite a few 2 goal leads away this season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby dundreamin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 am

If (WHEN) QPR go down I would get Chris Samba onboard beast of a man beast of a defender
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby dundreamin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 am

If (WHEN) QPR go down I would get Chris Samba onboard beast of a man beast of a defender
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am

With no Carra and no Reina there was no-one to dominate the back 4. They're all sheep and need directing. Our best goalies' have all dominated the defensive - Clem, Brucie, Reina.  Our weakest goalies have been the weakest leaders - Calamity James, Jerzy, and various one season wonders and Brad Jones unfortunately falls into that category.     No leadership = weak defense = goals against = sack the keeper.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am

dundreamin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 am wrote:If (WHEN) QPR go down I would get Chris Samba onboard beast of a man beast of a defender

and Julio cesar

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am

dundreamin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 pm wrote:If (WHEN) QPR go down I would get Chris Samba onboard beast of a man beast of a defender

The guy in on over £120 grand a week ! No chance
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion