Terror attacks in mumbai

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:33 pm

dawson99 wrote:Bob, you're in Canada right? Not exactly in the know when it comes to muslim views?
Try living in London, see what the people say. From what I've heard and seen in papers and in interviews there is afecking lot of sympathy. So sometimes its alittle too easy to just shake your head and think its all rosy
(im not just having a go at you bob lol, we just disagree)

If you're speaking about Muslims in London, mate, then say so.  Since they account for less than 1% of the world's Muslim population I might suggest not drawing overly broad conclusions about what all Muslims think on that basis, however.  In fact, unless you're spending time in the Muslim community, going to Mosques to hear what's being preached, etc. I'd probably avoid drawing firm conclusions about even what London's Muslim community thinks about terrorism.  it's not about having a "rosy" outlook, it's about putting the views of extremists in their proper perspective so that you're not guilty of condemning all Muslims for the terrible acts and/or hateful beliefs of a few.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Seriously lads, JBG, Andy, Bob and Woof for the spelling lesson :D

It has been interesting reading you're views, and no doubt you're probably right. I'm not going to ramble on anymore, its not "worth getting my knickers in a twist" I just hope you can appreciate where I'm coming from, likewise I appreciate what you've all said.

I just feel though it has become a little to fashionable these days to jump on the anti-West bandwagon, and the PC brigade one to.

You're opinions are fair, that I appreciate :)

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Bob, you're in Canada right? Not exactly in the know when it comes to muslim views?
Try living in London, see what the people say. From what I've heard and seen in papers and in interviews there is afecking lot of sympathy. So sometimes its alittle too easy to just shake your head and think its all rosy
(im not just having a go at you bob lol, we just disagree)

If you're speaking about Muslims in London, mate, then say so.  Since they account for less than 1% of the world's Muslim population I might suggest not drawing overly broad conclusions about what all Muslims think on that basis, however.  In fact, unless you're spending time in the Muslim community, going to Mosques to hear what's being preached, etc. I'd probably avoid drawing firm conclusions about even what London's Muslim community thinks about terrorism.  it's not about having a "rosy" outlook, it's about putting the views of extremists in their proper perspective so that you're not guilty of condemning all Muslims for the terrible acts and/or hateful beliefs of a few.

Majority of muslims are peace loving people but there is an increasingly worrying amount of wahabism being preached in mosques around the UK (mostly in the Midlands) that is being imported from Saudi Arabia. It is this form of teaching that breeds hatred and spawns home grown terrorists. The thing I am worried about in the UK is that it will eventually turn into an Islamic state. There is already Sharai mortages allowed in some banks and a lot are pushing for Sharia law as well.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:21 pm

This thread is funny! :D

Barry, alot of decent muslims do condemn the attack, the f*cking media don't give a :censored: though, they go for the big stories.

Extremists have different believes and ideologies than the other religious types of muslims, this is because both sets of muslims interpret the Koran in a different way (because the Koran is the hardest book to interpret). Unfortunately, for the fundimentalists they want to blow up innocent people who also believe in something and has nothing to do with politics.

Hate breeds hatred.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:35 pm

I think Bam and Bobs opinions highlight the contrast of feeling on this subject.There does'nt seem to be much sitting on the fence involved.
Personally I dont know what to think.What I do know is that the Muslim faith is a peaceful one and seems to be based on a passive way of life.BUT if the Koran is taken literally(as by extremists) it is a whole different ballgame.
Im not 100% sure but i have done a bit of reading of the Koran.Some of it is the most sense I have read and if people followed this code to life everything would be great!But there are parts that trouble me deeply.The constant condemnation of anyone non Muslim is disturbing and the part about off with infidels heads...is even more than disturbing.Its by this book that animals such as those that held Ken Bigley and the rest down with hands tied behind their backs and sawed their heads of with a knife justify their actions!
I dont know how Muslims feel about terrorists acting on their behalf(supposedly)
Only muslims can answer that!

The bible though is the same,it has distasteful condemnations of homosexuals,non christians etc,although im no expert on religion,I feel that people realise that these books were written a very long time ago.Morals were a lot different back then and its also worth adding that they have been re written over time.We are not reading the word of John,Luke etc.Muslims are not reading the exact literal word of Mohammad either.
At the end of the day its people that are the problem,each individual is solely responsible for his own actions.To use a book written thousands of years ago as an excuse to condone evil is pathetic.
Bad people that commit murder are just kunts,simple!they can hide behind any religion and use it to romanticise their actions,they can play the martyr,or whatever.
Bottom line is it takes more brains to find common ground and realize that there will always be different opinions whether ya like it or not!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:39 pm

Number 9 wrote:I think Bam and Bobs opinions highlight the contrast of feeling on this subject.There does'nt seem to be much sitting on the fence involved.
Personally I dont know what to think.What I do know is that the Muslim faith is a peaceful one and seems to be based on a passive way of life.BUT if the Koran is taken literally(as by extremists) it is a whole different ballgame.
Im not 100% sure but i have done a bit of reading of the Koran.Some of it is the most sense I have read and if people followed this code to life everything would be great!But there are parts that trouble me deeply.The constant condemnation of anyone non Muslim is disturbing and the part about off with infidels heads...is even more than disturbing.Its by this book that animals such as those that held Ken Bigley and the rest down with hands tied behind their backs and sawed their heads of with a knife justify their actions!
I dont know how Muslims feel about terrorists acting on their behalf(supposedly)
Only muslims can answer that!

The bible though is the same,it has distasteful condemnations of homosexuals,non christians etc,although im no expert on religion,I feel that people realise that these books were written a very long time ago.Morals were a lot different back then and its also worth adding that they have been re written over time.We are not reading the word of John,Luke etc.Muslims are not reading the exact literal word of Mohammad either.
At the end of the day its people that are the problem,each individual is solely responsible for his own actions.To use a book written thousands of years ago as an excuse to condone evil is pathetic.
Bad people that commit murder are just kunts,simple!they can hide behind any religion and use it to romanticise their actions,they can play the martyr,or whatever.
Bottom line is it takes more brains to find common ground and realize that there will always be different opinions whether ya like it or not!

As Ive said barry mate, people interpret the Koran in many different ways, some interpret it in a bad way, others don't. The Koran also states that killing innocent believers (doesnt have to be a muslim) is murder and the person will be punished in the afterlife.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:41 pm

And some will tell you the Koran says if you die a martyr then you go to heaven and wake up with 72 virgins. :laugh:
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:57 pm

MH Im not critcising the book as a whole mate!
What i meant to emphasise more is that it was written a long time ago and things have changed since then.It was written when the world was a lot different.
What I am trying to say is that it is foolish that some people apply its every word to their lives in a literal sense.As you say it can be taken in many ways,my point is that its the people that are the problem and not the book.
Take you for example(a civil fella we have chatted on facebook).You have the sense to dismiss certain parts as OTT or not applicable to the day in age we are at.Yet you can take other parts and apply them to your life in a beneficial way!

Take the radical..he sticks to every word and has not got the sense to distinguish between a passage that may be full of metaphors and a passage that is written to be taken literally!

As I said(or tried to)Its individual people that are the problem not the religion!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:21 am

Number 9 wrote:MH Im not critcising the book as a whole mate!
What i meant to emphasise more is that it was written a long time ago and things have changed since then.It was written when the world was a lot different.
What I am trying to say is that it is foolish that some people apply its every word to their lives in a literal sense.As you say it can be taken in many ways,my point is that its the people that are the problem and not the book.
Take you for example(a civil fella we have chatted on facebook).You have the sense to dismiss certain parts as OTT or not applicable to the day in age we are at.Yet you can take other parts and apply them to your life in a beneficial way!

Take the radical..he sticks to every word and has not got the sense to distinguish between a passage that may be full of metaphors and a passage that is written to be taken literally!

As I said(or tried to)Its individual people that are the problem not the religion!

lol, not saying you are criticising the book mate, just saying some people interpret it in different ways thats all :D

Agree with the Bold part, especially the last sentence.

Humanity start wars, and we use religion as an excuse for most of our problems. :)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:47 am

metalhead wrote:

lol, not saying you are criticising the book mate, just saying some people interpret it in different ways thats all :D

Humanity start wars, and we use religion as an excuse for most of our problems. :)

MH are you a Muslim mate ?

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:57 am

Yes I am Bam, A shia muslim to be exact.

Al quada are the sunni type, the ones that hate the shia :D

Im sounding extremist now lol, we are all muslims in the end.
Last edited by metalhead on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:59 am

Bam wrote:
metalhead wrote:

:laugh:
Yes he is and a decent guy,feck sake Bam i thought you would have gathered MHs religion over the years!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:00 am

metalhead wrote:Yes I am Bam, A shia muslim to be exact.

Al quada are the sunni type, the ones that hate the shia :D

Im sounding extremist now lol

Well, then I apologise on behalf of myself or anyone who has offended you. I know ALL Muslims are not terroists mate, so again I apologise for any discomfort you have when reading such threads.

Although you do seem to take these threads in good spirit, fair play to MH, you're as sound as a pound.  :buttrock

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:02 am

Number 9 wrote:
Bam wrote:
metalhead wrote:

:laugh:
Yes he is and a decent guy,feck sake Bam i thought you would have gathered MHs religion over the years!

I'm a fecking divvy sometimes.  :D

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:04 am

My husbands a muslim an all
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum