Roberts - Reply or not

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby taff » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:42 pm

PLEASE DO NOT LOCK OR MOVE QUITE YET

Although I think Roberts is a wind up we have to allow the man his opinion and a lpot of people are jumping down his throat (ok I understand why)

Although a fan of Benitez I do not like this follow them blindly mentality. Like a lot of football fans worldwide Roberts airs his pessimism publicly and for his reasons does not like Benitez and wants him out, now accusing him of not being a fan because he speaks out is I think out of order i.e. remember Houllier, what about Biscan LET HIM WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE

But this frying pan nonsense etc is out of order and a lot of posts are degenerating because of this so PUT UP OR SUT UP

In another topic the best reply I saw was from ACE1983 which I have copied so ROBERTS as you ignored this last time round but not the petty arguments afterwards PLEASE reply as I wouldnt mind knowing your reasons without pictures etc and this is a serious attempt to have a debate as you have opinions different than a lot of people here

FROM ACE 1983

Dear Roberts,
        I want to open this reply to you by acknowledging that every single person in this world is entitled to an opinion, and I think each one deserves respect. But your one not only tests, but puzzles me.

Why do you, and how can you blame Rafa Benitez for Liverpool's current position. Of course he is not infallible, but you must admit that the odds were stacked against him from the start. There cannot be another club in the world with expectations as high as ours. We still believe that we "should" be winning the EPL every season because of our "history". It would be hard for any manager to live up to these expectations but this season has been particularly difficult.

When he came to this club, Benitez had arguably the best strike force in the premiership with Cisse, Owen, Baros and FSP. Owen left because he wanted money and instant success and now we were a man down. To make this worse, only a handful of games later and Cisse was injured, with a double broken leg. Neil Mellor is still young, FSP is still learning and Baros was (and is still) carrying an injury. But of course injuries were not limited to the frontmen with long term sufferers including Alonso, Gerrard, Hyypia, Kewell, Garcia, Josemi, Finnan, Kirkland and more. Injuries also bring with them a secondary influence, which is the pressure that they put on the remaining players. Can you imagine what it's like being the only player to fill a certain possition , with the likes of us and all the other fans insisting that we MUST win. You can hardly blame these injuries or their effects on Mr Benitez. Do you think he broke Alonso's ankle?

One of the other contributary factors that you have to think of is the Benitez is suffering from the hangover created by the reign of Houllier who didn't exactly have a good purchasing sense. A squad with the likes of Diao, Biscan, Diouf and the other flops isn't exactly championship winning material is it?

The whole Steven Gerrard situation hasn't helped either. With the aforementioned odds against him, he also has to wait for the likes of Madrid and Chelsea to pounce for our jewel in the crown. Whether you like him or not as a person, you really are a fool if you don't appreciate his talent on the pitch. I can understand him wanting to win things, he's world class, and Benitez is trying with many things against him to provide medals for the whole team... in his first season in charge. We are in the league cup final and the last sixteen of the CL.

I thought at the beginning of this campaign, we all agreed to give the new manager a season, to settle in, bring in his type of players, and develop the current players into a top class team. He has already brought in two world class players in Morientes and Alonso, and turned some of our less talented individuals into, at least, competant players who can do a job if there is one that needs doing. He has reinstated the idea of wingers, and showed that we can still operate without the "Owen" crutch, and he has installed a possitive attitude within the team.

What I want to know from you is why you have such animosity for an individual who left a championship winning side in spain, to help rescue us from the "glory" of antiquity? Why is he, in your mind, such a bad manager when for a man serving his first term has landed us a final and a shot at european glory, however hard that will be? I remember a lot of bad weeks under Houllier, Evans et al, but I can only think of one bad week under Benitez. Is this a knee jerk reaction to the losses last week, or do you simply believe that we should not have a blip? What logical reason do you have for hating Benitez so much?

I think I look forward to your reply, provided it's longer than five words and not all of them just single syllabals.

Yours apprehensivley,
                    The Ace1983
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:48 pm

Well for one i am definitely not a wind up, there have even been pictures of me on here in the past in a Liverpool kit.
Injuries or not, we had them last season and we were still finished 4th in the league, we have a big squad that should be able to cope with injuries.
Also some of Benitez decisions have been baffling such as fielding the reserves against Burnley in the FA Cup and some of the football this season has been awful.
I just feel now we are further away from the title now than we were under Evans or Houllier.
Thats not a wind up or a vendetta thats how I feel about the situation.
82-1074641017

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:51 pm

fair enough.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:53 pm

I'm probably guilty of jumping down Roberts throat a time or too. I understand he's got his opinions etc and for that reason I apologise for my part in the proceedings.

[LeeJ holds hand out to Roberts....]
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:01 pm

Roberts tends to have pretty pessamistic posts which tends to make people think where his loyalties lie but if its his opinion you have to respect it i suppose.Its all about opinions and passion of vareing degrees.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:02 pm

Roberts wrote:Well for one i am definitely not a wind up, there have even been pictures of me on here in the past in a Liverpool kit.
Injuries or not, we had them last season and we were still finished 4th in the league, we have a big squad that should be able to cope with injuries.
Also some of Benitez decisions have been baffling such as fielding the reserves against Burnley in the FA Cup and some of the football this season has been awful.
I just feel now we are further away from the title now than we were under Evans or Houllier.

The fact that you have been seen in a Liverpool kit is well, what can I say.........but so what  ???

Injuries?? We have a number of players on loan, If you read the LFC .TV website, Benitez has said that the Anfield doctors, have never seen an injury crisis of this magnitude for 25 years!!

Ok, the desicion to field reserves against Burnley baffled me as well, however on the plus side (if there is one?) this has given us extra time to prepare for the Charlton game, which will kick start our push for CL qualification and CL progression (2004/05 tournament) as well as Benitez first trophy in the form of the League Cup.

How you can say that our football this season has been awful, out of everything you have posted, this ultimately proves to me (and I was starting to give you the benefit of the doubt) that you are absolutely clueless.

We are further away than ever before?? I f*ckin give up     :angry:

Lastly 2 La liga titles in 3 years.........case closed, viva Senior Benitez, you have my utmost respect.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:27 pm

IMHO Roberts, despite his protestations to the contrary, is a total wind-up merchant. That said he is occasionally funny and as I've commented before, I find his computer dexterity very impressive at times. He probably contributes more than he takes out and deserves his place on the forum. Not quite a legend but an interesting character nontheless. 1234spam and that pseudo Welsh bloke Tubin or whatever he's called are entirely different 'characters'. Just a never-ending stream of vaccuous nonsense which infects every thread it touches.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:34 pm

well knowing him personally (obviously) i can say ur right bigmick about the wind up merchant thing :D

but when he gets serious about things he is almost impossible to talk to, so just let him be accept his opinion and move along!
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby taff » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:41 pm

Roberts wrote:Well for one i am definitely not a wind up, there have even been pictures of me on here in the past in a Liverpool kit.

Ok then what who would be your alternative and how would this person change it round and with what players etc
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:49 pm

Martin O'Neill is what he will say....not sure about the players!
when you're 4-0 up..
Dom1

Postby supersub » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:58 pm

I believe in free speech and have no problem in members taking opposite views and thrash it out with sensible and reasoned arguement.I also believe if you make rash statements then produce evidence to back it up.I have a season ticket and I have enjoyed the football at Anfield more this season than last..fact.
    Roberts tell us...What's the story in Balamory?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:21 pm

supersub wrote:   Roberts tell us...What's the story in Balamory?

supersub you evil individual, you've just implanted that bloody balamory tune in my head for the remainder of the evening :angry:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:27 pm

Well ive slagged him off and ive also stuck up for him on having a right to an opinion but the fact of that change's when he cant let anyone else have an opinion .The bloke is a Moron full stop yeah he has a right to post his opinion but not to abuse every other person who disagree's with him .I opt to ignore him most of the time and post when it suits me.To be hohnest even having this topic on him show's what a complete T W A T  he is as for Martin o neil being this good and that good how much money does he have to spend (a lot more than Liverpool) and where is he in europe? i think that should answer ya question about him ,yeah he did ok with Leicster with limited funds but how much money would he have at Liverpool? prolly less than he had at leicster and they didnt even get a european spot with him in charge let alone a cup final or the last 16 of the C L .Martin O neil i ****** him
ronmeister

Postby ronmeister » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Exscuse my spelling i'm illiterate
ronmeister

Postby Dom1 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:30 pm

ron :D
when you're 4-0 up..
Dom1

Next

Return to General Chat Forum