Alcohol - In light of recent events....

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby JBG » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:07 am

Britain and Ireland both have a serious problem with drink. In Ireland we have always had a terrible problem with alcohol, although in many ways this has largely changed. We still have a terrible problem with it but there are less ordinary Joes proping up bars spending their dole money because the country was in the toilet and bloody miserable. :D

Now the drink problem lies with the fact that most people are fairly flush with cash. They work hard all week, earn lots of money and then blow in on a drunken rampage on the weekend.

In many ways the Irish have now come to represent the English binge drink culture.

Dublin in the past 5 years has become a seriously scary place on a Saturday night. Walking down O' Connell Street sober/soberish at 3-00am is an eye-opener. There are thousands of people around rotten drunk. Liverpool is much the same as Dublin, although on a smaller scale as it is a smaller city.

I used to enjoy alcohol as much as anybody and I still enjoy the occasional Guinness in my local, but as peewee said earlier, I could take it or leave it now.

I drank hard for 5 or 6 years solid. When I say "hard" I mean hard. I could polish anything off and usually did. It starts to mess with your life as it affects work, you eventually start losing friends and its impossible to stay in a relationship. I still get drunk every now and again, but probably only 2 or 3 times a year at this stage. Up until recently I went a few years without getting drunk.

Alcohol is ok if you can handle it, but believe me, anybody who gets trolleyed twice a week every week eventually can't handle it.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:48 am

the sad thing is jbg that over in britain we used to laugh at the irish for being trolleyed all the time but by all accounts it's becoming the other way round. i used to go over to dublin every couple of weeks for years when i lived just a wee walk from the ferry and loved the place silly. i haven't been since about 1993 though but i'm reliably informed that it's just awash with drunken brits on stag/hen nights every weekend (especially down temple bar) although i've also been told the authorities are now trying (rightly in my book) to discourage those kind of tourists
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:50 am

listen to me, pontificating about boozing, sat on the sofa with a can of kronenbourg in my hand  :laugh:  :blush:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 am

Interesting since Liverpool is sponsored by Carlsberg and Everton by Chang Beer, I would have thought the whole of Merseyside would be plastered. :D
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm

JBG wrote:Alcohol is ok if you can handle it, but believe me, anybody who gets trolleyed twice a week every week eventually can't handle it.

Thats true JBG, one of my Aunts liked to get plastered every friday and saturday night and has just been rushed to hospital with liver failure .  :(

Doctors doubt that she'll survive to see another birthday .

71 next week  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:54 pm

love a pint me,not stepped foot in a pub for over six months,cans and bottles arent the same :(
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:03 pm

drummerphil wrote:love a pint me,not stepped foot in a pub for over six months,cans and bottles arent the same :(

Why haven't you been out Phil?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 pm

JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:love a pint me,not stepped foot in a pub for over six months,cans and bottles arent the same :(

cancer,operations,car accident .........you name it
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:47 pm

drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:

Jeeeez, sorry Phil, I didn't realise.

How are you doing now?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:55 pm

JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:

How are you doing now?

had the all clear on the cancer ,all though still waiting for some results but i'm sure they will be ok.Wounds continue to heal.The spine injurys leave me flat on my back for biggest part of the day and i have physio / hydrotherapy every week.I cant walk any further than about 100 yards which is bástard seeing that the pub is 110 yards away...(just my luck eh)........ :laugh: ............only joking .....the back and legs will take time.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:12 pm

drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:

How are you doing now?

had the all clear on the cancer ,all though still waiting for some results but i'm sure they will be ok.Wounds continue to heal.The spine injurys leave me flat on my back for biggest part of the day and i have physio / hydrotherapy every week.I cant walk any further than about 100 yards which is bástard seeing that the pub is 110 yards away...(just my luck eh)........ :laugh: ............only joking .....the back and legs will take time.

Best of luck mate.

What did you do, by the way? Break a mirror or run over a black cat?  :O
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:16 pm

JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:

How are you doing now?

Best of luck mate.

bloody god knows ...never known a 10 month period like it,still here though thats all that matters.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 pm

drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
JBG wrote:

How are you doing now?

Best of luck mate.

bloody god knows ...never known a 10 month period like it,still here though thats all that matters.

And the world is better for it, Phil.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 pm

cheers matey,and can i say if i hadnt been around on here day and night over that period.........god knows what i would have been like.This place has kept thinking,laughing but most of all a feeling of belonging.Their our many many on here who have made it that way and i thank them all.......:D
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:41 am

Glad to hear you're still getting better Phil.
Best of luck mate.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum