The dam - Any information, events, etc.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Rafa D » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi all my wonderful friends, (and Lando)

After grafting all the way through the summer, because my bird didn't want to go on holiday because she decided "I'm getting me teeth done so there perfect and whitened" instead of going to sunny Mexico with me, I am finally leaving England for a week.

BTW before all you bastar.ds start the jokes about the birds teeth, they were fine anyways and I can't see much difference. Apart from when we got to bed , her teeth light up like that fecking cat off Alice in Wonderland.  :laugh:

Anyways enough of my life story, my and 4 of the lads are going to Amsterdam on the Friday till Monday and then on to Prague till the end of the week. I haven't been before so I am expecting a eye opener. I just wondered if anyone can give me any tips on places to go, things to see, etc. All in all just make my holiday a lot more fun.

I know its 5 euros a bevvy, and theres the red light district and supposely more bikes than cars, but thats all I know. We are going to the Ajax V PSV game on Sunday and then onto the Kaiser Chiefs concert in the Weijbek or whatever its called. But any more ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rafa-Dodd
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm

I heard that in Amsterdam you can get stoned if that helps :;): :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:04 pm

dawson99 wrote:I heard that in Amsterdam you can get stoned if that helps :;): :p

Oh thanks for your wisdom Dawson, I would never of known. lol. Not my scene really, much more of an ale man like.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daxy1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:08 pm

i heard in amsterdam even you can get laid....too a woman....or a man

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:13 pm

I got mine done Rafa but Im suffering for it now with ultra sensitivity  :O  Never again!! Cant even go out without A gut full of painkillers and a scarf round my mouth
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Excellent beer, probably the best choice in the dam in a bar called In de Wildeman, in the centre somewhere.  Great selection of beers from Holland, Belgium and Germany, also served in their original glasses.

The Hoppe a great old fashioned dutch pub with leather sheets for doors ??? .  Great wheat beer and I insist you have a juniper gin shot to follow

Opposite the hopper is the Karma coffee shop, rare for this part of town it is used by locals, excellent solid, like a throwback to the 70's although Im sure Woof knows more than me on this score  :D

Have a toke of pollem and wander around the Ann Frank museum and Vam Gogh both excellent.

Great restaurant is Van Poofelen for dutch food, on one of the main canal streets cant remember which one

Alternatively just wander around sampling different bars, you might find some rough ones and some great ones

Also if you have time try the Jordaan area of the city, working class and alternative with great bars and coffee shops off the beaten track, just wander around its only a tram away from the centre if you get lost etc

Have a great time  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daxy1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:21 pm

i havent been for years but opposite the train station there used to be a cafe called the bulldog cafe nice place but funny enough i dont remember the stay too much? ???  :Oo:

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:22 pm

The Anne Frank museum sounds like a great fun time as well!!!

just get some hoes, some weed and stay in your room for the 3 days...sweet!!! :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 pm

woolly's top tip for amsterdam: don't fall in the canal - it's wet and at this time of year probably f*ckin cold as well. i can't remember much from when i went there, other than being offered a bewildering array of drugs everywhere we went. f*ckin great it was :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:47 pm

I'd love to help you, RD, but I've never been.

So there. :p :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:14 pm

Amsterdam is a great city.

Watch out for the bikes, which are dangerous, and I reckon the bikes could cause more accidents in Amsterdam than mopeds cause in Rome. At least in Rome you can hear the mopeds coming, whereas in Amsterdam every time you go to cross the streets a bleedin' cyclist appears out of nowhere.

The Red Light District is bizzare. Yes, its sleazy, with prostitutes in windows, pimps and drug dealers, but strangely the area around the canals feel quite safe for most of the night. If you go down there at about 9.00pm its actually full of tourists having a gawk, and not just Judge types: when we were down there there were loads of families (yes, kids n all) and couples looking around. Its bizzare, I'll tell you that.

I saw one of the shows, which wasn't cheap, about €25.00, for an hour of strangely unerotic live exhibition of people riding each other up on stage and performers asking members of the audience to come up and "extract" beads from certain orifices.

Some of the back streets just off the Red Light District are well dodgy and be careful that you don't get lost in the middle of the night if you are :censored: and there is only one or two of you.

During the day you'll get pestered by druggies/bums looking for money or trying to bum a cigerette.

The "brown bars", which are essentially small pubs in the British/Irish mould, are well worth drinking in, as strangely for the continent, they are relatively lively and enjoyable.

All of the locals have perfect English.

I haven't smoked grass or hash in 5 or 6 years, so when I was over I gave that a miss, therefore missing out on about 50% of the whole experience. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:22 pm

jbg makes a good point, the quiet backstreets on the edge of the red light area are VERY dodgy late at night. keep your wits about you if you're venturing down there, there's some very murky characters around*

*say hello to judge if you see him :D
Last edited by Woollyback on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:03 pm

I liked Amsterdam, got pissed and stoned a lot when I was there, didn't see the Red Light District because my wanker of an ex-girlfriend wouldn't have us going there as she suspected I had a bit of a roving eye (and she was right, but I've since been to Thailand so I know what I missed  :D ).  The red light district is something I will have a good look at when I next go there though. :D

The Bulldog was indeed a good place, the pubs are all belters, there are fit birds everywhere, the Ann Frank museum is quite an eye opening place if you can spare a couple of hours to go on the tour, I did and it was well worth it.  There's a good pizza restaurant on the corner just outside it as well.

Take plenty of money, it's by no means a cheap place.  Enjoy yourself.
jonnymac1979

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:27 pm

never been to Amsterdam (yet :eyebrow ) but Prague is sound. basically: sh1t food.(one example here where i would recommend maccie dees!)  great,wonderful ale! , oh and its f***ing freezing. but all in all a very lively place with loads to see and do. its spooky as f**k at night down all them back-alleys with gargoyles everywhere and cobbles..i loved the place...the cafes arent as accomodating as in amsterdam though  :glare:  :)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rafa D » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Going today cannot wait its saturday till tuesday, I am A TIT got everything ready yesterday lol :laugh:
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum