Alcohol - In light of recent events....

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:06 pm

it was on teletext yesterday that overall alcohol consumption in britain has doubled since 1960 which suggests that we were either a bunch of puritans back then or we're a nation of sad drunks now

we still lag behind half of europe in terms of overall alcohol consumption but it's the way we drink causes the problems -
all the booze drunk in britain tends to get drunk all at once by a minority of people, whereas on the continent far more people actually drink regularly but it will be one or two drinks with a meal every night rather than nothing all week then 15 pints of stella on a friday night, followed by a kebab & a fight

british culture on boozing stinks, it's perpetuated by the gutter press associating drinking with something "naughty but fun" like page 3 or "saucy" old seaside postcards. when it comes to drinking we're so f*ckin infantile it's untrue   :no   don't get me wrong i love a drink and going out on the lash is great, but why do we have to snigger like children about it and nudge-nudge, wink-wink let's have a tipple oooh matron we are naughty eh kind of way? what a load of cobblers

PS haven't had a drink since monday, can't wait to get a boatload of ale down me neck tonight  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 pm

as for rules surrounding drinking, the countries with the worst alcohol problems in europe are in scandinavia & britain where alcohol is at it's most expensive and heavily regulated & restricted. the countries with the least alcohol-related health & social problems are greece & protugal where booze is dirt cheap and hardly regulated at all

doesn't take a genius to draw a conclusion from that does it?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 pm

dawson99 wrote:Lee, in all honesty for those people if ti wasnt drink it would be something else. I can handle my drink but when i see some of the people coming out of pubs/clubs i dont know what to say. its sad that some people just cant handle it.

Everythiung has good and bad points. i love a drink but i know its something that can get out of hand. gotta find that happy medium

i think that's the case for everyone.  It's just really got on my nerves how the media are connecting social drinkers with the likes of Gerorge Best (and now Charles Kennedy), what they don't say is, these guys are alcholoics and would have a drink from the moment they get up to the moment they go to bed.  Drinking a bottle of Whiskey a day isn't unsual for them....yet because it's 'alcohol' its all deemed bad.

I wouldn't mind, but i don't smoke, don't take drugs and rarly ever get into trouble, yet i have 1 vice and the PR brigade are trying to get rid it that too!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:38 pm

I drink way too much

Im young and im happy though so, who cares?!! :D
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:47 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - Pressure mounted on jonnymac on Friday to quit as newkit moderator leader after his admission of a drink problem, with one senior party figure calling him a "dead man walking".

Bigmick, the  leader in the Europe , urged jonnymac to ditch his plans to call a leadership vote and stand for re-election which he announced in a dramatic personal statement on Thursday about his drinking.
And a survey in the Evening Standard found 16 of 23 members of his own shadow forum now want jonnymac out.

The party's leader since 1999, jonnymac said he had been tackling alcoholism for the past 18 months and believed the problem was "essentially resolved".

But Bigmick said jonnymac had to face up to the fact that alcoholism was not easily defeated.

"What's the horrible American expression? He's a dead man walking," said Bigmick, head of the 12-strong group of forum  members in Europe.

"jonnymac needs to accept that an alcoholic who has admitted the problem is not the same as someone who has mastered the problem," he told BBC radio.

"I think we have to face up to political realities. People are not going to join a forum because they feel sorry for its leader," he said.

jonnymac, 27, told reporters he stood by his decision and had received many messages of support.

"We're a one member, one vote forum and I believe I've the members' strong support," he said outside his Liverpool home.

While some members expressed support for their leader, others added to the calls for him to step down.

"I think jonnymac is in an untenable position. No leader of any party can survive if he doesn't have the confidence of his colleagues " said member of nekit dawson 99.

"It's a problem of political direction and a question of lack of team leadership skill and nothing has changed as a result of what he did last night," he told BBC radio.

wrighty(not mark), a  member , said he hoped the Mods would force a confidence vote in jonnymac next week.

"If you were looking for someone to play the part of Tarzan you wouldn't employ a one-legged actor and if we're looking for someone to lead our party, we wouldn't deliberately go for an alcoholic," wrighty(not mark) said.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:10 pm

lawrenson_sarah wrote:I drink way too much

Your liver and brain?
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:18 pm

neil wrote:LONDON (Reuters) - Pressure mounted on jonnymac on Friday to quit as newkit moderator leader after his admission of a drink problem, with one senior party figure calling him a "dead man walking".

Bigmick, the  leader in the Europe , urged jonnymac to ditch his plans to call a leadership vote and stand for re-election which he announced in a dramatic personal statement on Thursday about his drinking.
And a survey in the Evening Standard found 16 of 23 members of his own shadow forum now want jonnymac out.

The party's leader since 1999, jonnymac said he had been tackling alcoholism for the past 18 months and believed the problem was "essentially resolved".

But Bigmick said jonnymac had to face up to the fact that alcoholism was not easily defeated.

"What's the horrible American expression? He's a dead man walking," said Bigmick, head of the 12-strong group of forum  members in Europe.

"jonnymac needs to accept that an alcoholic who has admitted the problem is not the same as someone who has mastered the problem," he told BBC radio.

"I think we have to face up to political realities. People are not going to join a forum because they feel sorry for its leader," he said.

jonnymac, 27, told reporters he stood by his decision and had received many messages of support.

"We're a one member, one vote forum and I believe I've the members' strong support," he said outside his Liverpool home.

While some members expressed support for their leader, others added to the calls for him to step down.

"I think jonnymac is in an untenable position. No leader of any party can survive if he doesn't have the confidence of his colleagues " said member of nekit dawson 99.

"It's a problem of political direction and a question of lack of team leadership skill and nothing has changed as a result of what he did last night," he told BBC radio.

wrighty(not mark), a  member , said he hoped the Mods would force a confidence vote in jonnymac next week.

"If you were looking for someone to play the part of Tarzan you wouldn't employ a one-legged actor and if we're looking for someone to lead our party, we wouldn't deliberately go for an alcoholic," wrighty(not mark) said.

Fucking cheeky bastard!!!! 

I'm 26!!!!

Anyway, I've just drawn a crisp £50.00 from my bank account about ten minutes back in anticipation for a night on the piss.  It is Friday night.  It wont be that bad though as I want this to last me tomorrow night as well as I will be in the boozer tomorrow as well.  I'll have to go and grab a sarnie from Subway to line my stomach I think.
jonnymac1979

Postby Judge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:53 pm

jmac, have you ever won the lotto, you seem to have an endless supply of cash??

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:56 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:
lawrenson_sarah wrote:I drink way too much

Your liver and brain?

Probaly cabbaged  :wwww
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 pm

the liver and brain pickle sarah, you get cabbaged by drinking :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:06 pm

Judge wrote:jmac, have you ever won the lotto, you seem to have an endless supply of cash??

:D

No, I just manage it well.  I came out the other side of Christmas and New Year with just shy of £400.00 in my account.  A miracle for me to be honest.  Don't know how I managed that trick!!!

I am planning on hitting the booze 'just a little bit' this weekend though.  Tomorrow night will more than likely be my blowout though.  Tonight will be child's play.  I reckon I will be home by 21:00pm tonight.  I'm off out very shortly though, as soon as I can find a victim to go the boozer with me now.  They all finish at 17:00pm in my work, although I can get off now as I don't care.  I could have got off hours ago but I've been sitting in my office with my mate, playing Sensible Soccer on a 50 inch Plasma telly all afternoon until the batteries ran out on it about two hours back.
jonnymac1979

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:08 pm

Woollyback wrote:it was on teletext yesterday that overall alcohol consumption in britain has doubled since 1960 which suggests that we were either a bunch of puritans back then or we're a nation of sad drunks now

we still lag behind half of europe in terms of overall alcohol consumption but it's the way we drink causes the problems -
all the booze drunk in britain tends to get drunk all at once by a minority of people, whereas on the continent far more people actually drink regularly but it will be one or two drinks with a meal every night rather than nothing all week then 15 pints of stella on a friday night, followed by a kebab & a fight

british culture on boozing stinks, it's perpetuated by the gutter press associating drinking with something "naughty but fun" like page 3 or "saucy" old seaside postcards. when it comes to drinking we're so f*ckin infantile it's untrue   :no   don't get me wrong i love a drink and going out on the lash is great, but why do we have to snigger like children about it and nudge-nudge, wink-wink let's have a tipple oooh matron we are naughty eh kind of way? what a load of cobblers

PS haven't had a drink since monday, can't wait to get a boatload of ale down me neck tonight  :D

It's doubled cos women drink now, whereas in 1960 it was deemed less appropriate.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:15 pm

LeeJ.

I said that boozing was fine as long as you don't turn into a tw*t.

Besides, the uproar and riots that would ensue if it was ever banned would make a few drunks scrapping over a slapper pale into insignificance. :D

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Judge wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:F*ck 'em.
I like a drink and don't turn into a tw*t after supping a few

fortunately lando is a Top man before he starts drinking, and absolutely brilliant after! Infact, I really love him, and want to be his b*tch. :laugh:   :D

Judge you pervert.
STOP HARRASSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D  :rasp

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1136150807 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Woollyback wrote:it was on teletext yesterday that overall alcohol consumption in britain has doubled since 1960 which suggests that we were either a bunch of puritans back then or we're a nation of sad drunks now

Words that come to mind:

Nail
Head
Hit

Spot on Wooly.
72-1136150807

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum