Who to cheer for in euro 08

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:17 am

Is there a thread about what is wrong with British football?

It has never been top class and unless the right questions are asked it won't be fixed.

Is it the coaching of the kids?
The :censored: weather
The fast food/video game culture (although they weren't around in the 1970s when British football was still terrible)
The tactics

I don't believe that the wrong managers have been picked decade after decade.

Scotland,Wales,and Northern Ireland are all so small they are unlikely to ever have good teams so England is really Britain's only hope of a good team.

Personally, I think the problem is that from a young age the game is all about pace and no patience.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:37 pm

I'll answer like the footballer who told Four Four Two when asked that question:

Argentina.  :buttrock  :laugh:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Is it the coaching of the kids?
The  weather
The fast food/video game culture (although they weren't around in the 1970s when British football was still terrible)
The tactics

1- Yes, they are taught to hoof the ball away on full size pitches, which is difficult when you are only six years old. A full size pitch for kids also means they have very little time on the ball. They don't need Mr Jenkins (PE teacher) telling them to "GET RID OF IT!!!" on a muddy rainy school pitch, they need Mr Sanchez (foreign exchange PE teacher) telling them to keepa da balla in five-a-side games.

2- No, it's got more to do with facilities and training ethics. Germany has bad weather too, but they are much more successful as an international team. We need to ditch the "PE lesson" culture.

3- No, the USA eats fast food and plays video games, yet always do well in the Olympic games because they reject a loser whereas Frank Bruno and Gazza become national heroes. Britain lacks a killer instinct when it comes to competition.

4- Yes, as mentioned in #1.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yessicajax » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:43 am

Big Niall wrote:I'd prefer if all LFC players got knocked out first round. We don't want them playing a long tournament. I hope they all fall out with their international managers before the championship starts.

Ideally Didi Hamann come back to play for Germany and they'd win it. Spain get knocked out early so LFC players not tired.

bit sad dont you think...you dont feel happy for the liverpool players if they win the EC.
I really do hope that holland win ofcourse...but if gabri was playing for spain i will feel really happy for him if he won it.
Image Image Image
A.F.C.A ..... As Finishing touch...God created the Dutch!
Yessicajax

Postby Owzat » Wed May 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Austria, host nation and underdogs.

EDIT : and not a single manc player or bitter in sight.............
Last edited by Owzat on Wed May 14, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 17, 2008 1:14 pm

Barcelona forward Bojan Krkic has been left out of Spain's 23-man squad for Euro 2008, while Raul has failed to earn a recall.

Raul was a notable omission from the initial 31-man party named by Luis Aragones last month but there had been media pressure for him to be brought back.

The experienced Real Madrid man has not been included, however, with Fernando Torres, David Villa, Daniel Guiza and Sergio Garcia named as the four strikers.

Torres is joined in the squad by Liverpool team-mates Jose Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso, while Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas also makes the cut.

Valencia duo Joaquin and David Albelda are among the eight players to have been left out after being named in the original squad.

Krkic misses out due to fatigue, but there are places for fellow youngsters Ruben de la Red and Raul Albiol.

Squad

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Reina (Liverpool), Andres Palop (Sevilla); Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Raul Albiol (Valencia), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Fernando Navarro (Real Mallorca),

Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool), Juanito (Real Betis); Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), David Silva (Valencia), Santi

Cazorla (Villarreal), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool), Ruben de la Red (Getafe), Marcos Senna (Villarreal); David Villa (Valencia), Daniel Guiza (Real Mallorca), Sergio Garcia (Real Zaragoza), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 pm

I will be an honourory Spaniard for Euro 2008 for obvious reasons!

I hope thats OK Sabre! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat May 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Number 9 wrote:I will be an honourory Spaniard for Euro 2008 for obvious reasons!

Yes and if we win (we won't), you'll be entitled to say you beat the current champions 3-2 not long ago  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Sabre wrote:
Number 9 wrote:I will be an honourory Spaniard for Euro 2008 for obvious reasons!

Yes and if we win (we won't), you'll be entitled to say you beat the current champions 3-2 not long ago  :D

Even better!! :D

And think positive,Spain certainly have the individuals to make a great team.Its a question of getting it together and gelling on the pitch!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Manhattan has declared himself to be Spanish from now until the end of Euro 2008.

Upon hearing the news, the entire Spanish population declared themselves "people without a country" from now until the end of Euro 2008.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Big Niall wrote:I'd prefer if all LFC players got knocked out first round. We don't want them playing a long tournament. I hope they all fall out with their international managers before the championship starts.

Ideally Didi Hamann come back to play for Germany and they'd win it. Spain get knocked out early so LFC players not tired.

I agree mate, although I will be supporting Holland not Germany , they play good football, if Kuyt plays well his value may go up and we can sell, if not and he's tired or injured its not going to ruin my sleep anyway.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 17, 2008 6:21 pm

Spain 23-Man Squad For EURO 2008 Finals:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Manuel Reina (Liverpool/ENG) , Andres Palop (Sevilla)

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Juanito (Real Betis), Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool/ENG), Fernando Navarro (Real Mallorca), Raul Albiol (Valencia), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)

Midfielders: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal/ENG), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), David Silva (Valencia), Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Ruben de La Red (Getafe), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool/ENG), Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Strikers: David Villa (Valencia), Sergio Garcia (Real Zaragoza), Fernando Torres (Liverpool/ENG), Daniel Guiza (Real Mallorca)
account deleted by request

Postby JoeTerp » Sat May 17, 2008 8:09 pm

s@int wrote:Spain 23-Man Squad For EURO 2008 Finals:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Manuel Reina (Liverpool/ENG) , Andres Palop (Sevilla)

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Liverpool/ENG) , Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Juanito (Real Betis), Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool/ENG), Fernando Navarro (Real Mallorca), Raul Albiol (Valencia), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)

Midfielders: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal/ENG), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), David Silva (Liverpool/ENG) , Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Ruben de La Red (Getafe), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool/ENG), Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Strikers: David Villa (Liverpool/ENG) , Sergio Garcia (Real Zaragoza), Fernando Torres (Liverpool/ENG), Daniel Guiza (Real Mallorca)

I think you forgot some  :D .  Interesting that both Raul and Bojan were left out. Also good to see Ruben de la Red made the squad if that deal does happen, which I don't want to.
JoeTerp

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:03 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
s@int wrote:Spain 23-Man Squad For EURO 2008 Finals:

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Liverpool/ENG) , Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Juanito (Real Betis), Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool/ENG), Fernando Navarro (Real Mallorca), Raul Albiol (Valencia), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)

Midfielders: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal/ENG), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), David Silva (Liverpool/ENG) , Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Ruben de La Red (Getafe), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool/ENG), Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Strikers: David Villa (Liverpool/ENG) , Sergio Garcia (Real Zaragoza), Fernando Torres (Liverpool/ENG), Daniel Guiza (Real Mallorca)

I think you forgot some  :D .  Interesting that both Raul and Bojan were left out. Also good to see Ruben de la Red made the squad if that deal does happen, which I don't want to.

Some said De La Red was not a great player,Sabre said he had came on well over the last 2 years since his transfer!I know nothing about the lad tbh!

The lad must be doing something right and must be a very good player to be selected for a squad with that quality!
Im looking forward to seeing this guy play in the Euros!

As i said i know nothing of his quality but with a name like de la RED...fate may take him to Anfield! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Personally I'm amazed Aragones is still the Spanish national coach.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion