Owen maybe shown the door

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:51 pm

Baros has already improved imo. His awareness is better than it was at the begining of the season. He started really to make an impact when we were playing against Palace but he picked up an injury which has ****** up his form
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:56 pm

No i don't.

When he does look up he chooses the wrong pass or a pass which doesn't get anyone anywhere, rather the second than no pass at all i supose.

He also isn't enough of a goal poacher. He isn't as good a finisher as people make out, he's very good, but nowhere near the likes of Owen, Fowler, van Nistlerooy or Henry.

He's also not got great ball control. Its erratic to say the least, his technique is good, but not great.

His movement, although alot of it leaves alot to be desired. He's not a constant goal threat. He may threaten to skin defenders alot, but he's not always getting into the right positions to score goals. He also doesn't get in the box enough and attacks crosses.

He runs the ball out of play far to often. His link up play is very poor. He never uses a team mate as a decoy, he never makes decoy runs and he never tries to use his pace and play a 1-2 through the last line of defence and the number of times this season i've seen him fluff it when Cisse tried to do this is hugely frustrating.

Baros is also very selfish although this aspect of his game is definately showing an improvement.

He also struggles to last for 90 minutes down to not pacing himself.

Another thing about him is his closing down and positional play. He does alot of chasing down, but not in the correct area's and right way. Sometimes its easier to stand and make a defender play the ball a certain way rather than going chasing after him like a headless chicken and watching him simply pick you off with a 1-2.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. If you want me to really think about if, i'll sit here and come up with a bigger list.

Tell me all of those aren't true...
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Milan Baros summed up for me...

Deportivo at home.

He chased the ball down and robbed a defender in there half. I was sitting there saying to myself, that was world class. The way he done it was. Used his pace, muscle and skill to win the ball.

He then had a few options...

1. Run with the ball a bit, then hold it up, pass it back into midfield and build an attack from there.

2. turn with the ball and lay it off to a team mate and then start again from a deeper position.

3. Run with the ball and run into three depor players.

Baros chose option 3 which resulted in him undoing his great work and us conceeding a goal kick because he ran the ball out of play.

A player the quality of Angel or Bellamy or Andy Cole may have done number 2.

A player like Owen, Anelka, Henry, RvN would have done number 1.
115-1073096938

Postby Mikz » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:07 pm

Oh stop complicating the issue. :D Someone said he had the second best goal-minute ratio ,so whats the problem? As long as hes banging them in I dont care wether hes world class,almost world class or non league class :;):
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Fine then, Mellor's your man isn't he.
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:13 pm

stu_the_red wrote:No i don't.

When he does look up he chooses the wrong pass or a pass which doesn't get anyone anywhere, rather the second than no pass at all i supose.

He also isn't enough of a goal poacher. He isn't as good a finisher as people make out, he's very good, but nowhere near the likes of Owen, Fowler, van Nistlerooy or Henry.

He's also not got great ball control. Its erratic to say the least, his technique is good, but not great.

His movement, although alot of it leaves alot to be desired. He's not a constant goal threat. He may threaten to skin defenders alot, but he's not always getting into the right positions to score goals. He also doesn't get in the box enough and attacks crosses.

He runs the ball out of play far to often. His link up play is very poor. He never uses a team mate as a decoy, he never makes decoy runs and he never tries to use his pace and play a 1-2 through the last line of defence and the number of times this season i've seen him fluff it when Cisse tried to do this is hugely frustrating.

Baros is also very selfish although this aspect of his game is definately showing an improvement.

He also struggles to last for 90 minutes down to not pacing himself.

Another thing about him is his closing down and positional play. He does alot of chasing down, but not in the correct area's and right way. Sometimes its easier to stand and make a defender play the ball a certain way rather than going chasing after him like a headless chicken and watching him simply pick you off with a 1-2.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. If you want me to really think about if, i'll sit here and come up with a bigger list.

Tell me all of those aren't true...

You're a f@cking comedian kid. Go to bed. It's bedtime.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:15 pm

He makes a difference on the pitch when he plays imo. 8 Premiership goals, 11 in total. By the end of the season I would say that Baros will have at least 20 Premiership goals and maybe 25 in total. His job is to score goals and he is our number one goalscorer so he has done his job as far as I'm concerned, he can still improve and in some ways he already has.
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:38 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Milan Baros summed up for me...

Deportivo at home.

He chased the ball down and robbed a defender in there half. I was sitting there saying to myself, that was world class. The way he done it was. Used his pace, muscle and skill to win the ball.

He then had a few options...

1. Run with the ball a bit, then hold it up, pass it back into midfield and build an attack from there.

2. turn with the ball and lay it off to a team mate and then start again from a deeper position.

3. Run with the ball and run into three depor players.

Baros chose option 3 which resulted in him undoing his great work and us conceeding a goal kick because he ran the ball out of play.

A player the quality of Angel or Bellamy or Andy Cole may have done number 2.

A player like Owen, Anelka, Henry, RvN would have done number 1.

I think you being overly critical of the lad Stu. You held a similar opinion at the start of the season, as did many others and it doesn't seem to have changed despite the fact Milan is heading for that 20 goals in a season total that you yourself hold up as a benchmark. Comparing him to Mellor is criminal in my book. I know the lad is not your stereotypical team player and he is a selfish bugger but we look a very workmanlike outfit when he isn't on the teamsheet.
I have been very impressed with him this season. He works his ****** off, he must have won more free-kicks than any other player in the league and he scares the life outta defenders.
Ok, he's not a natural poacher - but he has still scored a few scrappy goals this season. He's still stares at the floor when hes on the ballhis but his pass for Mellor's goal against Newcastle is one example of the improvements he is making in terms of awareness. He still has me tearing my hair out at times but it's that unpredictability that makes him the player he is.
I hope we keep him for years cos he will get better and better. If Morientes comes in to work the middle it will give Milan the freedom to work right across the final third. I hope we keep him for years cos he will get better and better
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:40 pm

baros does have a habit of running like a headless chicken, euro 2004 he was brilliant but i dont think hes ever produced that sort of form for liverpool
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:55 pm

Thats because he was benched most of the time. He has slowly started to create the form he was in the Euro however injuries have taken its toll so he will have to start from scratch. He will improved and will get better and better.

When he's on the pitch he wins ous the corners and the free kicks we need. Anelka/Morientes and Baros partnership would be great either way.
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:34 am

Firstly to Banana. I wouldn't expect you to agree lad. You've never been to a live Liverpool match in your life and have no clue about the game. Do you actually believe Baros is a better player than Owen? :D

Pick apart my post and tell me your opinions on it then instead of just dismissing it like that. I'd like to see you try, any match going fan would back me up. I can give you hundreds of examples of each occassion where he does the things i've said.

I think you being overly critical of the lad Stu. You held a similar opinion at the start of the season, as did many others and it doesn't seem to have changed despite the fact Milan is heading for that 20 goals in a season total that you yourself hold up as a benchmark. Comparing him to Mellor is criminal in my book. I know the lad is not your stereotypical team player and he is a selfish bugger but we look a very workmanlike outfit when he isn't on the teamsheet.
I have been very impressed with him this season. He works his ****** off, he must have won more free-kicks than any other player in the league and he scares the life outta defenders.
Ok, he's not a natural poacher - but he has still scored a few scrappy goals this season. He's still stares at the floor when hes on the ballhis but his pass for Mellor's goal against Newcastle is one example of the improvements he is making in terms of awareness. He still has me tearing my hair out at times but it's that unpredictability that makes him the player he is.
I hope we keep him for years cos he will get better and better. If Morientes comes in to work the middle it will give Milan the freedom to work right across the final third. I hope we keep him for years cos he will get better and better

Overly critical?

Get real please. I'm being realistic. Everything i mentioned is a major fault in his game. He of course has many plus points, he's definately a top half of the league player no question and he's a very good player. But he's a long long way from being class. Let alone world class.

I also agree he works his balls off if you read my post.

You say about his pass to Mellor against Newcastle... Can i point out he had Robbie Elliot marking him who allowed him to turn and have all the time in the world. Do you think he'd get that joy out of any decent centre half. Elliot is an average premiership fullback at best, he's not a centre half, not even a poor one.

Baros is a good player, i love his effort and his determination. However he lacks discipline, sense and intelligence and its not a little bit. He lacks in these area's ALOT. Hence the reason he'll never become the player some people think he will.

He's a fans favourate because he gives it everything, he's quick, very direct and shows no fear. Not because of anything else.is he a better dribbler than Giggs? can he pass like Alonso? can he play an intelligent pass like Zidane? can he outpace Henry? can he win every header like Ferguson? can he finish like van Nistlerooy? can he move like Owen?

No, no, no, no, no and no.
115-1073096938

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:49 am

Firstly to Banana. I wouldn't expect you to agree lad. You've never been to a live Liverpool match in your life and have no clue about the game. Do you actually believe Baros is a better player than Owen

Does that theory apply to everybody? Because I've never unfourtanetly been able to go to a Liverpool match yet I know that Owen is a superior player than Baros, HOWEVER

Baros is a type of player that can get better. Look at his performance today. Ok so we played against a ****** poor side however he made an impact on the pitch and has done so in almost every game. I think his weakness will become his strengths in matter of time under Benitez. That's just my opinion
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby tel » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:52 am

stu_the_red wrote:Fowler was class, Anelka is class, Owen is class.

Baros is just a very good player.

Massive difference.

Baros was the top scorer at Euro 2004. How many goals did Owen score in the same tournament?
tel

Postby tel » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:06 am

All this stuff about comparing Owen with Baros is nonsense.

The correct comparison is Owen with Van Nistelrooy and Henry over the past 2 seasons.

This for me is a big factor on what separates the clubs winning premierships, and us. Owen has been nowhere near the player the other two were in his last 2 seasons with LFC. Yet we built our entire team around him socring. When he didnt, we had problems winning games.

If you want to compare Baros with Owen, a lot of the critisms about Baros being selfish and lacking awareness were the same criticisms pundits said about Owen when he was the same age as Baros.

In fact, Camacho was going nuts at Owen at the start of the season for not playing deeper and getting involved in the build up play. He's too used to sitting on the back 4 and waiting for a pass to clean him through on goal. When your fwds play like that, your midfield is one dimensional ie the same as it has been at LFC for the past 2 years.

Owen was a great player for us, but we couldnt afford to continue to depend on him as our only avenue to goal. Look at the difference the team has this year. Gerrard for one is 10 times the player he was compared to 2 years ago, scoring more goals, getting more shots at goal. Same for Riise.
tel

Postby Mikz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:27 pm

I just think some people go too deep into things. Ok Baros isnt perfect -very good ,but he still does his job and scores goals. Thats his strong point. Alonso cant dribble like Giggs or tackle like Viera or Keane but he can pass and thats his strong point. I believe Baros will become a very good player obviously and hes under the best management. Just because he doesnt dribble like Giggs ,pass like Alonso,think like Zidane or outpace Henry etc doesnt matter. John Aldridge couldnt either but he was still able to put the ball in the net.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion