Michael owen - Overrated!

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:28 pm

GOAT wrote:God some of you are bellends, what are you going to say next? ronaldinho, thierry henry etc. are overrated and are really cr.ap?

puroresu: "Well compared to Cisse, yes he is, yes he is overrated.  :laugh:
48-1119859832

Postby puroresu » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:41 pm

why are you comparing him to Cisse.  Thats not what I was doing.  I was just making a point that Owen isnt technically great.
puroresu

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:48 pm

puroresu wrote:why are you comparing him to Cisse.  Thats not what I was doing.  I was just making a point that Owen isnt technically great.

It's called a p.iss take. You seem to think that Cisse is the bees-knees of all football strikers, so I thought I'd bring him into the equation, I mean you were bound to at one point weren't you? I've just saved you the trouble.  :D

Owen's technically not brilliant, but you give him the ball in the 18 yard box and he'll more than likely will slot it home. He doesn't have to do all these fancy flicks and tricks but he simply doesn't need to, he's quite happy doing what he's paid to do and that's put the ball in the back of net.
48-1119859832

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:25 pm

I find it amazing at all those that say "Cisse has no 1st touch" yet would like Owen back at Anfield.  Once again today as usual Owen showed us how technically poor he is.  He fails to control simple passes time and time again.

I find it amazing that the fact he has done an excellent career so far, plus the fact that he's been injured and with lack of matches are overseen by you blatantly, and you say Michael Owen is overrated basing your opinion on just one game.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:44 pm

What would Rafa think of this attitude? If Djibril Cisse said such a thing all hell would break loose.

England's under-fire striker Michael Owen says he has no intention of changing his playing style.

The Newcastle United ace has failed to shine so far in his two World Cup matches to date and is under increasing pressure to deliver the goods with Wayne Rooney returning to fitness.

Many feel Owen's all-around game has not been good enough as he has not put in the effort in every area of the field.

However, Owen, who has missed much of this season through injury, believes it is not his job to work all over the pitch just to be the side's fox in the box.

"I'm in the team to be in the box," said Owen. "If the ball is in the box and I'm not on the end of it you can blame me.

"But that's where I should be, in the box scoring goals for England.

"One thing I'm not going to do is change my game to please everyone's eye."
puroresu

Postby Good Bob » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:20 pm

puroresu wrote:What would Rafa think of this attitude? If Djibril Cisse said such a thing all hell would break loose.

England's under-fire striker Michael Owen says he has no intention of changing his playing style.

The Newcastle United ace has failed to shine so far in his two World Cup matches to date and is under increasing pressure to deliver the goods with Wayne Rooney returning to fitness.

Many feel Owen's all-around game has not been good enough as he has not put in the effort in every area of the field.

However, Owen, who has missed much of this season through injury, believes it is not his job to work all over the pitch just to be the side's fox in the box.

"I'm in the team to be in the box," said Owen. "If the ball is in the box and I'm not on the end of it you can blame me.

He's a top class goalscorer who's scored goals at the highest level's in world fooball on a consistent basis. He's single handedly won games for teams, he's ripped good sides to shreds and is an ex european player of the year.

Why should he listen to "fans"? I'm sorry but your love of Sissy is really starting to :censored: people off. Sissy isn't fit to lace Heskey's boots. Let along Michael Owen's.

He's completely and utterly :censored:. Thats the end of it.
Good Bob

Postby madred » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Puroresu come on mate. Michael Owen and overated in the same sentence? He may never be the player he once was at his prime but when he is on form he is still Englands biggest goal threat. Its just bad for Michael that he needs games while the world cup is taking place. If that injury he got in the new year had come a little earlier or if better hadnt have happened at all he would have been amongst the goals by now.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:58 pm

Good Bob wrote:
puroresu wrote:What would Rafa think of this attitude? If Djibril Cisse said such a thing all hell would break loose.

He's a top class goalscorer who's scored goals at the highest level's in world fooball on a consistent basis. He's single handedly won games for teams, he's ripped good sides to shreds and is an ex european player of the year.

Why should he listen to "fans"? I'm sorry but your love of Sissy is really starting to :censored: people off. Sissy isn't fit to lace Heskey's boots. Let along Michael Owen's.

He's completely and utterly :censored:. Thats the end of it.

Right so I guess Ronaldo because of his past glories would be in his right to say to everyone "I dont need to run, Im Ronaldo, I can do what I want".

And how many times I am not defending Cisse or making a comparison.  What I'm trying to see is what peoples reaction is to these comments from Owen.  If Cisse was playing for France and said something similar you know as well as I do people on this board would say "Cisse's attitude stinks, his selfish etc etc and only cares about himself"
puroresu

Postby Good Bob » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:34 pm

You keep mentioning him.

He's rubbish. A joke, not fit to be mentioned in the same SENTANCE as Owen.
Good Bob

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Good Bob wrote:You keep mentioning him.

He's rubbish. A joke, not fit to be mentioned in the same SENTANCE as Owen.

Yep and Michael Owen shouldnt be in the same sentence as previous European player of year winners. The list since 1985.

Owen is the least gifted player to win the award in the last 20 years.

2005 Ronaldinho Barcelona Brazil
2004 Shevchenko AC Milan Ukraine
2003 Pavel Nedved Juventus Czech R
2002 Ronaldo Real Madrid Brazil
2001 Michael Owen Liverpool England
2000 Luis Figo Real Madrid Portugal
1999 Rivaldo Barcelona Brazil
1998 Zinedine Zidane Juventus France
1997 Ronaldo Inter Milan Brazil
1996 Matthias Sammer Borussia Dort Germany
1995 George Weah AC Milan Liberia
1994 Hristo Stoitchkov Barcelona Bulgaria
1993 Roberto Baggio Juventus Italy
1992 Marco Van Basten AC Milan Holland
1991 J-P Papin Marseille France
1990 Lothar Matthaus Inter Milan Germany
1989 Marco Van Basten AC Milan Holland
1988 Marco Van Basten AC Milan
1987 Ruud Gullit AC Milan Holland
1986 Igor Belanov Dynamo kiev Ukraine
1985 Michael Platini Juventus France
puroresu

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:01 pm

JEEZUZ H CHRIST ! :angry:  PURORESU WHAT THE FU'CK ARE YOU DOING IN A FOOTBALL FORUM ?

You've made a post that consists of an Owen quote , you don't bother to add what you view might be but a subsequent post indicates that you think Owen may be arrogant about his ability despite his lack of form  .

What the fu'ck will you say when he nicks a winner in the knockout phase ?

I'm getting sick and f'ucking tired of the know f'uck all pundits in this forum

:angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Good Bob » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:JEEZUZ H CHRIST ! :angry:  PURORESU WHAT THE FU'CK ARE YOU DOING IN A FOOTBALL FORUM ?

You've made a post that consists of an Owen quote , you don't bother to add what you view might be but a subsequent post indicates that you think Owen may be arrogant about his ability despite his lack of form  .

What the fu'ck will you say when he nicks a winner in the knockout phase ?

I'm getting sick and f'ucking tired of the know f'uck all pundits in this forum

:angry:

He's obviously a bitter blue who's never seen a game in his life live and on the wind up.

No-one could be so stupid as to say something like that. Its like comparing Heskey and Rooney.
Good Bob

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:37 am

While I certainly don't think Owen's overrated, I don't think that there's any doubt that he's still quite rusty.  Having a thinly-veiled go at the team's tactics in public--no matter how true the comment may be--is not how he should be carrying on, however.  His comment about accepting criticism for chances he misses in the box suits me fine.  To that end, Mikey, you should have done better with the ball Hislop spilled in the first half the other day!

I certainly hope Sven plays him on Tuesday, though.  Owen needs match fitness and sharpness and England need a sharp Michael Owen.  Benching him will solve nothing.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:52 am

I agree whilst Owen certainly isnt the player who scored that wonder goal against Argentina in 98,his record stands up in internationals,a record when you consider his age he should go on and break Bobby Chartons record of 49.A fit Owen in and around the box you can never discard and England need that.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:57 am

drummerphil wrote:I agree whilst Owen certainly isnt the player who scored that wonder goal against Argentina in 98,his record stands up in internationals,a record when you consider his age he should go on and break Bobby Chartons record of 49.A fit Owen in and around the box you can never discard and England need that.

Who needs Owen? We've got Sissy... :laugh:
Good Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion