Luis Suarez signs for Barcelona

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:15 pm wrote:Oh well well Sixth it is next season.

To say I'm annoyed at supporting a small time selling club with no ambition is an understatement. For the time since I've supported us we don't have a world class playhr. We don't even have a top class player.

We're quite frankly a laughing stock who do not learn from our own mistakes or anyone elses as far as I'm concerned and this season I think serious questions need to be asked of all asscociated with the club in any managerial capacity.

There wasn't much we could do with Suarez Stu, he wanted out almost from the first moment he got here. I'm just glad that he didn't go to one of our rivals (which could have easily happened last summer) and we got good money for him.
If we do get Markovic we'll probably have the quickest forward line in Europe (Sterling - Sturridge - Markovic) and in Coutinho and Lallana we have the players with the vision to put them through so it's not a total washout.
If we spend the Suarez money on a pair of top fullbacks, a CB and a keeper (like Begovic) we might lose a great player but we'll have a better team.
My big concern is that we won't go out and buy the best fullbacks/central defender that we possibly can, we'll go for the cheap option like Bertrand and fritter the rest of the money away on over priced bench fodder instead.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Greavesie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 pm

I think some of the reaction is OTT. If its one thing we know its that a TEAM will always be greater than the parts, yes its great to have world class players in the team but it's equally as important to have a team who are united and on the same wave length. I genuinely believe Rodgers knows what he's doing and trust him going into next season. There's lots of sides in the World Cup who have shown what a TEAM can achieve and I'm under no illusion that Rodgers will build that with us.

With regards to Suarez, I've no real ill feeling towards the man, there's a lot of theorists and people who will always find the negativity but for me he's a bit of a pantomine villain, one the English media will always target, therefore making his position at Liverpool untenable, which I don't think we could do much about as a club. His statement to us feels genuine and I for one wish him all the best at his new club. His wife is from Barca so he finally gets to live with them in the country where she's from, surrounded by family. He's by far the best player I've seen in an LFC shirt by a distance and noone can take that away from him, the only niggle will be not winning the league last season

Anyway, LFC will always be bigger and at least this has given us time to sort things out, unlike a certain blonde *****. We have time to address the team, it'll be a bloody stressful two months  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby laza » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:38 am

JC_81 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:16 am wrote:Well, the inevitable has happened then in Luis going.  Anyone who says good riddance or that they're glad to see the back of them is in denial.  Despite the baggage he's one of the most talented players ever to wear the shirt.  Genuine world class player and we'll definitely miss him.

It's not the end of the world though.  He'll be almost 28 by the time his ban finishes, so you could say that the fee (whether 64 or 75 mil depending on who you believe) is a good one, especially when he cost us 22 mil and we've got 3 excellent seasons out of him.  It's inevitable he'll do something daft again in the future so perhaps with hindsight we'll say some day that this was the right thing to do, even if it doesn't feel that way now.

I would also remind people that Luis Suarez was not considered to be in the 'world class' bracket as a player before we signed him.  Spurs were our only competition to sign him and even they pulled out of the running leaving us a free run.  Signing Andy Carroll the same transfer window was bigger news and the signing of Luis was fairly low key.  This is why we shouldn't get hung up on signing a 'marquee player'.  It could be that Sterling develops into our main man in coming seasons or someone like Lallana or Markovic kicks on and becomes that player.  Nobody, absolutely nobody believed that Suarez would turn out to be better than Torres and look what happened.

Don't cry over Suarez or about missing out on Sanchez... we have a top manager who will improve us in the long term.  That's not to say that we didn't slightly over achieve last season or that we won't have a post-Suarez hangover as the team adapts to his loss and integrates new players this coming season.  I expect the usual negative muppets to be bawling at letting Suarez go if we have a few bad results early on, but we have to believe in the project and in the collective - it's a team game.  We have had great sides before Suarez and we'll have great teams in the future.

One day Suarez, like Torres, Owen and many others before him, will realise how good he had it.  We move on.

Top post that John
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 am

Soccernet said 80 euros, while espy (the same company) said 75 pounds, so it sounds like nobody knows anything about what the price was. If it's true about the first refusal, friendlies and such, that could be a nice added little bonus.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 am

JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:16 pm wrote:
I would also remind people that Luis Suarez was not considered to be in the 'world class' bracket as a player before we signed him.  Spurs were our only competition to sign him and even they pulled out of the running leaving us a free run.  Signing Andy Carroll the same transfer window was bigger news and the signing of Luis was fairly low key.  This is why we shouldn't get hung up on signing a 'marquee player'.  It could be that Sterling develops into our main man in coming seasons or someone like Lallana or Markovic kicks on and becomes that player.  Nobody, absolutely nobody believed that Suarez would turn out to be better than Torres and look what happened.

Very good point. As you said, our new Suarez we may already have or will come under the radar and produce. We do have a number of talented youngsters in the team with a desire to prove themselves. Suarez may score more goals for Barcelona but he was at his high point last year and I don't think he will improve. I have no doubt he will keep his nose clean this year but he is a bomb waiting to happen. Better to get rid now and cash in, at some point we have to accept a situation as not good for the long term. I will miss watching him in a red shirt as last year he was phenomenal.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:41 am

ethanr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 am wrote:Soccernet said 80 euros, while espy (the same company) said 75 pounds

an absolute bargain either way

:Oo:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Now we just wait for Barcelona to get the ban overturned or suspended lol

It's good he's gone. He always wanted to go. We did fine last season when he was suspended and we'll do fine again. I have enough trust in Rodgers and the team to think we'll be ok
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:39 pm

To be fair when Sturridge played with Suarez, Sturridge was the man to play in the middle with Suarez and Sterling behind him. I think Markovic is the Suarez replacement in the system of playing in the triangle behind the front man.

That's why we are going for either Bony or Remy, to replace Sturridge incase of injuries.. and then we have Lambert incase we go to plan B of crossing balls in and using a target man.

Sturridge, Bony/Remy, Lambert - Striker
Coutiniho, Markovic, Sterling, Lallana - Behind Striker

Only thing we will miss if this is the case is the rotation in middle of games.. Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling had the ability to switch positions in the mid games which really confused the oppositions.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 pm

I thought Barca were banned for signing players for 18 months? ???

On a different note, goodbye to the best player ever to pull on a red shirt. It was a pleasure watching play and some of the goals, bits of skill, passes, vision, work ethic and moments of madness will never be forgotten!

:bowdown  :buttrock  :blues:

#thanksforthememories
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:20 pm

To be honest, I'm quite happy that the saga is over... and from more and more reports indicating the fee is 75 million pounds, it's not too shabby. Did I want Suarez to stay? Of course. But on the other hand, now we have the money, which if invested rightly, could make the team even stronger. I do believe that BR is about his system of football rather than the individual brilliance. Germany has shown in the world cup that a team playing as a cohesive unit is far stronger than a team with individual brilliance. We also won't have to deal with the 4 month ban of Suarez, which could actually weaken us at the start of the season...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Stu the Red » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 pm wrote:I thought Barca were banned for signing players for 18 months? ???

A club that is banned from signing players just signed a player that is banned from all football activities.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 pm wrote:I thought Barca were banned for signing players for 18 months? ???

A club that is banned from signing players just signed a player that is banned from all football activities.

It seems fair when you put it that way  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Barcelona appealed the punishment which delayed the start of the ban until the decision has been resolved.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Corrupt fifa, barca do what they please
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:00 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:59 pm wrote:Barcelona appealed the punishment which delayed the start of the ban until the decision has been resolved.

By the time Barcelona's Lawyers have taken it to the court of arbitration in Switzerland, then appealed the decision, then appealed the appeal etc Suarez will be about 31.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion