Luis Suarez signs for Barcelona

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Boocity » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:22 pm wrote:I don't know why people are going on about Sanchez, he went to Arsenal because of London, he abviously know jacksh1t about the club when he was saying that they are a club with a massive worldwide fan base

:no

He went to Arsenal because he saw us losing our biggest asset and concluded that in the longer term our finish in last seasons title race was maybe just a flash in the pan and that we're not really one of the top 4 clubs in England.

Arsenal on the other hand have finished in the top four (i.e. CL qualification) year after year after year after year ...............and will do so again next year  :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Just read the Telegraph's piece on Sanchez on why he signed for Arsenal. He said it's because Arsenal nearly won the title.

They must have interviewed him when he was 14.  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby C-R » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Reports in Spain that Suarez deal includes 2 preseason friendlies, 15/16 & 16/17 + first refusal on loan deals and transfers for 12 months
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 pm

£75 million is a good deal, especially when you factor in the ban.

Thanks for all your work Luis, but at the end of the day you're too bat sh!t crazy for this club
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:14 pm

cardiff-red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 pm wrote:Reports in Spain that Suarez deal includes 2 preseason friendlies, 15/16 & 16/17 + first refusal on loan deals and transfers for 12 months

Be funny if we got Delofeu on loan, I'm sure that would go down well with the bluenoses.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Well, the inevitable has happened then in Luis going.  Anyone who says good riddance or that they're glad to see the back of them is in denial.  Despite the baggage he's one of the most talented players ever to wear the shirt.  Genuine world class player and we'll definitely miss him.

It's not the end of the world though.  He'll be almost 28 by the time his ban finishes, so you could say that the fee (whether 64 or 75 mil depending on who you believe) is a good one, especially when he cost us 22 mil and we've got 3 excellent seasons out of him.  It's inevitable he'll do something daft again in the future so perhaps with hindsight we'll say some day that this was the right thing to do, even if it doesn't feel that way now.

I would also remind people that Luis Suarez was not considered to be in the 'world class' bracket as a player before we signed him.  Spurs were our only competition to sign him and even they pulled out of the running leaving us a free run.  Signing Andy Carroll the same transfer window was bigger news and the signing of Luis was fairly low key.  This is why we shouldn't get hung up on signing a 'marquee player'.  It could be that Sterling develops into our main man in coming seasons or someone like Lallana or Markovic kicks on and becomes that player.  Nobody, absolutely nobody believed that Suarez would turn out to be better than Torres and look what happened.

Don't cry over Suarez or about missing out on Sanchez... we have a top manager who will improve us in the long term.  That's not to say that we didn't slightly over achieve last season or that we won't have a post-Suarez hangover as the team adapts to his loss and integrates new players this coming season.  I expect the usual negative muppets to be bawling at letting Suarez go if we have a few bad results early on, but we have to believe in the project and in the collective - it's a team game.  We have had great sides before Suarez and we'll have great teams in the future.

One day Suarez, like Torres, Owen and many others before him, will realise how good he had it.  We move on.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:51 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:37 pm wrote:
Boocity » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:22 pm wrote:I don't know why people are going on about Sanchez, he went to Arsenal because of London, he abviously know jacksh1t about the club when he was saying that they are a club with a massive worldwide fan base

:no

He went to Arsenal because he saw us losing our biggest asset and concluded that in the longer term our finish in last seasons title race was maybe just a flash in the pan and that we're not really one of the top 4 clubs in England.

Arsenal on the other hand have finished in the top four (i.e. CL qualification) year after year after year after year ...............and will do so again next year  :kungfu:

Don't buy that. What "assets" do Arsenal have Sanchez was attracted to? If he had paid any attention to the league he would have seen how fragile Arsenal are.

The incentive for Arsenal was London. Plain as day
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Bear in mind when seeing various prices quoted in the media for Suarez that the exchange rate between pounds and euro's at the moment is pretty huge, i am going away tomorrow for 2 weeks and we get way more euros this year for our pounds compared to last year

So, just saying, we may well have agreed a fee of say 75 million euros but that may well exchange to a much lower pound note value

In fact based on the exchange site i just used, 75 million euros comes out at just over 59 million pounds
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 pm

All the reports I've seen have quoted 75 million POUNDS and not euros
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 pm

@ SCS

Don't buy that. What "assets" do Arsenal have thatcher was attracted to

I think I've just stumbled into the twilight zone  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby C-R » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 pm wrote:All the reports I've seen have quoted 75 million POUNDS and not euros

Just one example from SKY Sports

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... uis-suarez

Barcelona have agreed a fee with Liverpool for Luis Suarez, which Sky Sports News understands is £64.3million.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 pm

cardiff-red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 pm wrote:
Barcelona have agreed a fee with Liverpool for Luis Suarez, which Sky Sports News understands is £64.3million.

Look on the bright side, it's ten to twelve million £'s less for our transfer "comittee" to ***** down the sink !  :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 pm wrote:@ SCS

Don't buy that. What "assets" do Arsenal have thatcher was attracted to

I think I've just stumbled into the twilight zone  :laugh:

I get the oddest typo of the year award !
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Oh well well Sixth it is next season.

To say I'm annoyed at supporting a small time selling club with no ambition is an understatement. For the time since I've supported us we don't have a world class playhr. We don't even have a top class player.

We're quite frankly a laughing stock who do not learn from our own mistakes or anyone elses as far as I'm concerned and this season I think serious questions need to be asked of all asscociated with the club in any managerial capacity.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:11 pm

stmichael » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:52 pm wrote:Just read the Telegraph's piece on Sanchez on why he signed for Arsenal. He said it's because Arsenal nearly won the title.

They must have interviewed him when he was 14.  :laugh:

had a chuckle at that myself  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion