Fifa World Cup 2014

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 13, 2014 3:29 pm

damjan193 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 pm wrote:Btw have you seen some of the players in that Brazil squad? How the hell did Coutinho not get in when the likes of that Jo who played for Everton and Paulinho did? Oscar has been shyte this season too and apparently that Bernard has done nothing either and he's playing in an average league.
Coutinho's face obviously doesn't fit for some reason.

There are some players who tend to do well for their country despite not being too spectacular for their clubs. Such players are Jo and Bernard. Also, Jo and Fred are Brazil's only strikers so it's understandable why they were picked. Paulinho has been an integral part of Brazil's midfield for years and he wasn't so bad at Spurs either, he was just a bit unlucky that he was injured for a good part of the season. Also, I think that we're overrating Coutinho here a bit. He's had some great games for us but he's been way too inconsistent. I agree that Oscar hasn't been a lot better than him but he's got more experience and more caps so he gets the nod.

Over rating Coutinho a bit? I think your the one over rating the likes of Jo, Bernard and Oscar.
At least Coutinho produces flashes of genuine brilliance, the others haven't got that in them.
I'm not impressed with Brazils squad at all, the likes of Cesar, Fernandinho, Ramirez, Paulinho, Luiz, Hulk, Willian etc are decent players but certainly nothing special, good job they've got home advantage, they'll need it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:43 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 13, 2014 3:29 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 pm wrote:Btw have you seen some of the players in that Brazil squad? How the hell did Coutinho not get in when the likes of that Jo who played for Everton and Paulinho did? Oscar has been shyte this season too and apparently that Bernard has done nothing either and he's playing in an average league.
Coutinho's face obviously doesn't fit for some reason.

There are some players who tend to do well for their country despite not being too spectacular for their clubs. Such players are Jo and Bernard. Also, Jo and Fred are Brazil's only strikers so it's understandable why they were picked. Paulinho has been an integral part of Brazil's midfield for years and he wasn't so bad at Spurs either, he was just a bit unlucky that he was injured for a good part of the season. Also, I think that we're overrating Coutinho here a bit. He's had some great games for us but he's been way too inconsistent. I agree that Oscar hasn't been a lot better than him but he's got more experience and more caps so he gets the nod.

Over rating Coutinho a bit? I think your the one over rating the likes of Jo, Bernard and Oscar.
At least Coutinho produces flashes of genuine brilliance, the others haven't got that in them.
I'm not impressed with Brazils squad at all, the likes of Cesar, Fernandinho, Ramirez, Paulinho, Luiz, Hulk, Willian etc are decent players but certainly nothing special, good job they've got home advantage, they'll need it.

Why did you decide to discard my entire post and go with just the overrating part? I explained very well why, in my opinion, those players were picked and us overrating Coutinho definitely wasn't my main argument.

Anyway, this Brazil squad is the same squad that won the Confederation cup last year, beating Spain with 3 goals in the final. I had a similar opinion as you do but I changed my view after I saw them play in a few games.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm

woof woof ! » Sun May 11, 2014 10:16 am wrote:Just looking at the groups again.

Group A
Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

Group B
Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

Group C
Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan

Group D
Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Group E
Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras

Group F
Argentina, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Group G
Germany, Portugal, Ghana, United States

Group H
Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Looking at the other teams in their group I doubt that England will even get out of the group stage.

I expect teams going through to the 2nd round to be .

From
Group A. Brazil, Mexico
Group B. Spain, Holland
Group C. Columbia, Ivory Coast
Group D. Italy, Uruguay
Group E. France, Switzerland
Group F. Argentina, Nigeria
Group G. Germany, Portugal
Group H. Belgium, Russia.
England will qualify. I actually think Italy will fail.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed May 14, 2014 5:28 am

laza » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm wrote:CAN we at least let the Socceroos lose with dignity? 

Every World Cup team is heading to Brazil with a slogan emblazoned on the side of the team bus.

And ours is a shocker. Ready for it?

“Socceroos: Hopping our way into history!”

Football’s world governing body FIFA and sponsor Hyundai held a competition asking for entries from across the globe, with an online poll and public vote deciding the eventual winner.

You have to wonder how many Australians actually voted

Below is a list of all the slogans, and a whole heap of them are ordinary (see Chile’s own version of Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi) but Australia’s is far and away the worst.

As for the best of them? Our vote goes to The Netherlands.

Algeria:  Desert Warriors In Brazil

Argentina: Not just a team, we are a country

Australia: Socceroos: Hopping Our Way Into History!

Belgium: Expect The Impossible!

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Dragons In Heart, Dragons On The Field!

Brazil: Brace Yourselves! The 6th Is Coming!

Cameroon: A lion remains a Lion

Chile: CHI CHI CHI!, LE LE LE! Go Chile.

Colombia: Here travels a nation, not just a team!

Costa Rica: My passion is football, my strength is my people, my pride is Costa Rica.

Côte d’Ivoire: Elephants charging towards Brazil!

Croatia: With Fire In Our Hearts, For Croatia All As One!

Ecuador: One Commitment, One Passion, Only One Heart, This Is For You Ecuador!

England: The Dream Of One Team, The Heartbeat Of Millions!!

France: Impossible Is Not A French Word

Germany: One Nation, One Team, One Dream!

Ghana: Black Stars: Here To Illuminate Brazil

Greece: Heroes Play Like Greeks

Honduras: We are one country, one nation, five stars on the heart

Iran: Honour Of Persia

Italy: Let’s paint the FIFA World Cup dream blue

Japan: Samurai, The Time Has Come To Fight!

Korea Republic: Enjoy it, Reds!

Mexico: Always united, Always aztecas

Netherlands: Real Men Wear Orange

Nigeria: Only Together We Can Win

Portugal: The past is history. The future is victory.

Russia: No one can catch us

Spain: Inside our hearts, the passion of a champion

Switzerland: End Station: 13.07.2014 Maracana! Final Stop: 07-13-14 Maracana!

Uruguay: Three million dreams … Let’s go Uruguay

USA: United By Team, Driven By Passion

CRIKEY

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: I have to admit its pretty sad isn't it.

I think the Portugal one is quite apt
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 am

SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm wrote:England will qualify. I actually think Italy will fail.

Hope you're right on both counts SCS, with a significant contingent of our lads in the team I'd like to see England progress but I won't be putting any money on it.

As for Italy, I'm not expecting them to win in Brazil but when it comes to the world cup they're a pretty good tournament team. In the last 8 world cups they've only failed to qualify from the group stage on one occasion, they have in that same period won it twice, been runners up and also made it to the semi and quarter finals.

I might just put some money on them at least making it to the semi's.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 am

woof woof ! » Wed May 14, 2014 7:01 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm wrote:England will qualify. I actually think Italy will fail.

Hope you're right on both counts SCS, with a significant contingent of our lads in the team I'd like to see England progress but I won't be putting any money on it.

As for Italy, I'm not expecting them to win in Brazil but when it comes to the world cup they're a pretty good tournament team. In the last 8 world cups they've only failed to qualify from the group stage on one occasion, they have in that same period won it twice, been runners up and also made it to the semi and quarter finals.

I might just put some money on them at least making it to the semi's.

I was going to say Uruguay would fail but climate wise they're well accustomed.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed May 14, 2014 9:16 am

History shows the  continent home factor plays a huge factor in World cups so it will be interesting to see which European heavyweights do adapt best to the conditions.

As a non English LFC fan I also like to see  England go out early so our boys can be well rested before next season :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 am

Argentinas front line is just amazing they might be the Liverpools on the world cup in terms of it doesnt matter how many you score we will score more than you.

Messi, Higuian, Lavezzi, Aguero they are all 30+ million pound players

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 15, 2014 9:01 am

laza » Tue May 13, 2014 1:08 pm wrote:CAN we at least let the Socceroos lose with dignity? 

Every World Cup team is heading to Brazil with a slogan emblazoned on the side of the team bus.

And ours is a shocker. Ready for it?

“Socceroos: Hopping our way into history!”

Football’s world governing body FIFA and sponsor Hyundai held a competition asking for entries from across the globe, with an online poll and public vote deciding the eventual winner.

You have to wonder how many Australians actually voted

CRIKEY

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

That's pretty lame

Did no one consider "Bouncing in Brazil" ? still a bit lame but "bouncing" at least gives it a Football + Roo connection.   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 pm

LFC1990 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:07 am wrote:Argentinas front line is just amazing they might be the Liverpools on the world cup in terms of it doesnt matter how many you score we will score more than you.

They've had similar line ups in the past but have always been let down by their defence when they reach the latter stages of the competition.
It's tough to win the World Cup without a good defence, the likes of Germany and Italy both have superb records in the tournament based mainly around being organised and tough to beat.
Since 1966 there has been 12 World Cup finals and 9 of those 12 finals have contained either Germany or Italy (sometimes as in 82 both of them).
The problem for the World Cup as a spectacle is that coaches around the world have noted that the flair teams that have often lit up tournaments (i.e the Dutch in 74, the Brazillians in 82, the Danes in 86 etc) always came a cropper against dour, well organised defensive teams. The Italians in particular over the years have been about as exciting as watching paint dry and the Germans have been a bit more entertaining but they've never lit up a tournament.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Looking at Argentinas defence, Zabelta and Demechilis have both just won the premier league and Zabaleta was one of the highlights for Citeh.

I also cant see how speroni was not included in their side he was part if a strong palace defence

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:44 pm

The England squad flew out to Miami today and Hodgson has said Ricky Lambert will start the friendly on Wednesday but I was under the impression that Lambert was to be officially unveiled as a Liverpool player tomorrow?
Doesn't look like there's going to be a press conference or anything, the club will probably just release a statement.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:24 pm

LFC1990 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 am wrote:Argentinas front line is just amazing they might be the Liverpools on the world cup in terms of it doesnt matter how many you score we will score more than you.

They're that good they haven't even took Tevez...

f*cking unreal!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 pm

I watched France the other night and their football was mesmerising at times ,so much cohesion in their build up play
and their squad consists of a veritable plethora of options in attack.....'Dark horses' ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:01 pm

These tournaments always throw up a surprise team (Peru in 78, the Danes in 86, Bulgaria in 94, South Korea in 02 etc) so it will be interesting to see who punches above their weight this time around.
Hodgson talked big before the tournament about being attack minded and having a right go but reading some of his comments in the papers over the last few days it looks like he's getting cold feet.
Apparently he's been lecturing Sterling and Barkley about checking to see if they have enough cover behind them before they attempt to take someone on and telling them they can't just play in an off the cuff style they have got to consider the shape of the team as well.
So in other words prepare to be bored $hitless by England again.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion