Fifa world rankings - What is says on the tin

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby PhiLFC » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:12 am

FIFA World Rankings

So that makes England no 12 in the World and no 10 in Europe - useless bums.

I know you can manipulate statistics but I can't argue with the position England are in... maybe they should be even lower down the table.
PhiLFC

Postby Big Niall » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:31 am

rankings mean nothing to me.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Have to agree. I'm not big on these rankings as well.
JamCar05

Postby Owzat » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:18 am

Those rankings are a nonsense, you can tell when Scotland overtake England when England had reached three consecutive QFs while Scotland hadn't qualified for a decade. I can only assume a qualifying home win over France counted three times as much as any number of regulation wins England managed. Any one-off result counts more than standard wins. England have lost only nine competitive matches since January 2000 - three under McClueless

And how are Spain and Croatia currently ranked higher than England, previous three tournaments they managed just ONE QF between them.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:29 am

A point system is used, with points being awarded based on the results of FIFA-recognized international matches. Under the existing system, rankings are based on a team's performance over the last four years, with more recent results and more significant matches being more heavily weighted to help reflect the current competitive state of a team. The ranking system was most recently revamped after the 2006 World Cup, with the first edition of the new series of rankings issued on July 12, 2006. The most significant change is that the rankings are now based on results over the previous four years instead of the previous eight years. The change is perceived to respond to criticisms that the rankings do not effectively reflect the relative strengths of the national teams.

rankings dont lie. a big win over jamaica wont give england many points, but scotland doing the double over france recently will...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:36 am

I wasn't asking how the system works, questioning if it actually proves anything - which quite clearly it doesn't. You can pick huge holes in it, the fact is friendlies shouldn't count and teams should not pick up huge points for beating a high ranked team. That's a farcical concept, Scotland could beat the top teams, lose to everyone else and be in or around the top ten - which they are!

If Scotland were as good as France they'd be in the finals more often than not which they're not. The rankings don't lie, they are just not anywhere near as indicative as they should be.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion