Fifa World Cup 2014

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:27 pm

I thought Gerrard was awful, for someone supposed to be in the side acting as a screen in front of the back 4 he was bypassed way too easily, he just hasn't got the positional sense of a genuine DM and on top of that he no longer has the athleticism to get about the pitch to put out fires. IMO Hodgson should have left Henderson on and taken Gerrard off, Hendo was doing well I thought.
Hodgson also needs to make a decision about Rooney, he either plays him as a striker or doesn't play him at all, England have other players who can do a better job out on the flanks (including tracking back)
Apart from Gerrard I thought all our other lads had good games, even Johnson did okay, before they started to cramp up Raheem and Danny were great.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Exactly my thoughts Yakka. I don't think that the subs were the correct ones. There was clearly something wrong with Gerrard (he seemed a bit ill), he was awful and Hodgson should have had the guts to take him off instead of Henderson. I also didn't understand the introduction of Lallana. Roy should have replaced like for like, a striker for another striker. Lambert should have came on.

Anyway, I'm glad that the 3 stand out players for England were Sterling, Henderson and Sturridge. As for England, I think they'll still go through to the next round where they'll have an easier fixture against Ivory Coast and then lose to Brazil in the quarter-finals.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:26 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:10 pm wrote:Exactly my thoughts Yakka. I don't think that the subs were the correct ones. There was clearly something wrong with Gerrard (he seemed a bit ill), he was awful and Hodgson should have had the guts to take him off instead of Henderson. I also didn't understand the introduction of Lallana. Roy should have replaced like for like, a striker for another striker. Lambert should have came on.

Anyway, I'm glad that the 3 stand out players for England were Sterling, Henderson and Sturridge. As for England, I think they'll still go through to the next round where they'll have an easier fixture against Ivory Coast and then lose to Brazil in the quarter-finals.

England still have a lot to do to get out of that group mate, Uruguay can't play that bad again and they are bound to be fired up after getting lambasted back at home. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Gerrard and Rooney as well which will mean England won't get the most out of their available squad.
If I was Hodgson I'd pick a pair of workhorses who can run all day to screen the back 4 and then go with an adventurous, pacey front 4. Something like this -

Henderson             Milner

Sterling                 Barkley              Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sturridge

It doesn't matter that Milner isn't as good as Wilshere or Gerrard he would be in there solely for his legs and his energy. Every one of those front 4 are very quick and can go past a man, any defence would have their hands full with them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:28 am

MESSI   :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:10 pm wrote:Exactly my thoughts Yakka. I don't think that the subs were the correct ones. There was clearly something wrong with Gerrard (he seemed a bit ill), he was awful and Hodgson should have had the guts to take him off instead of Henderson. I also didn't understand the introduction of Lallana. Roy should have replaced like for like, a striker for another striker. Lambert should have came on.

England still have a lot to do to get out of that group mate, Uruguay can't play that bad again and they are bound to be fired up after getting lambasted back at home. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Gerrard and Rooney as well which will mean England won't get the most out of their available squad.
If I was Hodgson I'd pick a pair of workhorses who can run all day to screen the back 4 and then go with an adventurous, pacey front 4. Something like this -

Sturridge

It doesn't matter that Milner isn't as good as Wilshere or Gerrard he would be in there solely for his legs and his energy. Every one of those front 4 are very quick and can go past a man, any defence would have their hands full with them.

No what he will do is move Rooney back to the middle and push sterling and sturridge out wide because Rooney is our only world class player and must be accomodated or so the 'experts' keep telling us
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04 am

Agree with yakka
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:54 am

Boocity » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:33 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm wrote:

Sturridge

No what he will do is move Rooney back to the middle and push sterling and sturridge out wide because Rooney is our only world class player and must be accomodated or so the 'experts' keep telling us

That said I do think Rooney will perform better in a central role. Sterling's best moments came when he attacked from the wing, inversely it is clear that Rooney cannot perform a wide attacking role and offer any defensive protection as Sterling would.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:23 pm

I agree that he is better in the middle although whether he merits a starting place is another matter
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Germans 1 up already.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Boocity » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:23 am wrote:I agree that he is better in the middle although whether he merits a starting place is another matter

I'd give him another game in a central position. Even with Suarez Uruguay are beatable, defensively they looked shocking against Costa Rica.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:41 am

England - Italy
Sunglasses: 0-13.
Long hair: 0-8
Suit from the 80'ies: 25-0
Ability to organize a photo-shoot: 1-0
Ability to look good in a photo-shoot: 0-19
Missing Mum already: 0-19
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:43 am

laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 pm

What a goal from Cahill, the Aussies have got the Dutch rattled here, they should be ahead
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:18 pm

bye bye spain  :laugh:
who would have thought it  :lookaround
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Spain looked all over the place, Casillas has had a nightmare tournament, Costa doesn't look fit and even Alonso's passing radar was well and truly on the blink.
The Aussie's are the ones I feel sorry for, they got drawn in a really tough group but they gave it a right go and went down swinging, they don't deserve to be going home.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion