Fifa under-20 world cup - Lucas and insua in action

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:51 pm

I am going to Nevada Smiths (famous footy bar in NYC, where I am working this summer) to watch USA in Copa America. Its not on their website, but I would imagine they would have the U20s on some of the smaller screens.  I don't get cable because my roomates and I are cheap, but on the weekend i watched Brazil, USA and Argentina play back to back to back in the U20s curtosy of live-footy.
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:15 am

JoeTerp wrote:I am going to Nevada Smiths (famous footy bar in NYC, where I am working this summer) to watch USA in Copa America. Its not on their website, but I would imagine they would have the U20s on some of the smaller screens.  I don't get cable because my roomates and I are cheap, but on the weekend i watched Brazil, USA and Argentina play back to back to back in the U20s curtosy of live-footy.

You must be one of the lucky ones, I've got friends on the west coast and the time difference means an early rise (or a very late night!)

Plus you're bound to find plenty of Irish bars like Nevada Smiths to cover the footy in NYC.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 am

GOAL Colombia!

... but the Argies fight back

Edit, wrong thread  :Oo:
LFC2007

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:54 pm

USA 6-1 Poland and Poland just beat Brazil with only 10 men. Freddy Adu with a hatrick. Its his third u20 for the USA, he is the captain, and the 2nd youngest on the team.  the youngest being Jozy Altidore who has loads of talent and size and needs to get out of the US so he can learn something about the game while he still can.
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:21 am

JoeTerp wrote:USA 6-1 Poland and Poland just beat Brazil with only 10 men. Freddy Adu with a hatrick. Its his third u20 for the USA, he is the captain, and the 2nd youngest on the team.  the youngest being Jozy Altidore who has loads of talent and size and needs to get out of the US so he can learn something about the game while he still can.

It was the day for goals today, Joe.  In addition to the US mullering of Poland, Argentina put six goals past Panama and Brazil went up 3-0 over South Korea, only to concede two late goals to make the game interesting.  And, wouldn't you know it, CBC didn't televise any of the games on the main network but showed reruns of cr.ap Canadian sitcoms instead, FFS!  :angry:

Hopefully the goals will be flowing on Friday when I go the matches live in Ottawa.  The Argies have hit their stride and I want to see them put a few past North Korea.  Then it'll be Brazil vs. USA in a great match-up!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Bad Bob, if a young Spaniard named Elustondo pops up in the Spanish games, look at him, and tell me later if he reminds you of somebody :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Sabre wrote:Bad Bob, if a young Spaniard named Elustondo pops up in the Spanish games, look at him, and tell me later if he reminds you of somebody :)

Will do, mate, but I may have to wait until the quarter finals to see Spain see as the CBC is farming most of their games to cable channel cousins that I don't have subscriptions for.  :veryangry
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby puroresu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:40 am

Archie Gemmil (Scotland Manager) is an idiot.  His attitude in the two scotland games has been negative and his just tries to stop the opposition.

Last year he played in the under 19 euro championships the side went out with an attitude of nothing to lose and the side was allowed to play.  The flair players were picked and the side did well. A year later Gemmill drops the more talented players sticking defenders into midfield and its been a disaster.
puroresu

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:34 pm

puroresu wrote:Archie Gemmil (Scotland Manager) is an idiot.  His attitude in the two scotland games has been negative and his just tries to stop the opposition.

Last year he played in the under 19 euro championships the side went out with an attitude of nothing to lose and the side was allowed to play.  The flair players were picked and the side did well. A year later Gemmill drops the more talented players sticking defenders into midfield and its been a disaster.

On the bright side, they've still played better than Canada!  :D

Off to Ottawa this afternoon to see Argentina v. N. Korea and Brazil v. USA.  The Argies have found their shooting boots (scoring 6 against Panama last time out) some I'm looking for them to steamroll the Koreans.  I'll pay attention to Insua when I'm not focusing on Aguero.

The second game should be a real corker.  The US obliterated Poland last match while Brazil fell asleep after taking a big lead and almost let South Korea back in the match.  I'm gutted that Leiva's out of the tournament as I was hoping to get a look at our new lad.

If anyone's watching via satellite, I'll be the lad in the nosebleed seats sporting the goatee and the Liverpool home kit (I'll leave the jester's hat at home, though)!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:49 am

USA 2-1 Brazil. Altidore with a double. we have had three players score three goasl in three games. and given up a total of 3 goals (1 in each). USA topping a group? I must be having a laugh.  :D

Highlights from the game

Watch it and try and tell me the US doesn't have a bright future in football.
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:20 pm

JoeTerp wrote:USA 2-1 Brazil. Altidore with a double. we have had three players score three goasl in three games. and given up a total of 3 goals (1 in each). USA topping a group? I must be having a laugh.  :D

Highlights from the game

Watch it and try and tell me the US doesn't have a bright future in football.

I was there live Joe and, yes, the US does have a bright future in world football.  What a phenomenal performance against a very skilled and spirited Brazilian side!  It looked like it would be a huge clash in styles early on, with the U.S. looking to lump long balls up to Altidore, with Adu running onto knock-downs and flick-ons.  After a while, though, the Americans starting play some lovely football on the deck and were worthy 1-0 leaders at half time.  Brazil fought back with an uncharacteristically scrappy goal but the American go ahead goal was superb.  Adu worked some magic in the corner to allude two defenders and, with the help of a slight deflection, his pass fell to Altidore, who buried it.

So, depending on results today, Brazil may be going home early (the top 4 3rd place teams out of 8 still qualify for the knock-out stages but Brazil's only sitting on 3 points).  It's a shame, as they play tremendous football but, on the flip side, it's nice to see other countries making the step up.

In the other match, Argentina beat North Korea 1-0 thanks to a sublime free kick from Aguero.  He hit the upright with a second free kick and should have buried a third, when he received the pull back in acres of space on the break.  All in all, though, the Argentines put it on cruise control way too early and were very fortunate to escape with all 3 points: N. Korea played some lovely 1-2s around the area in the second half and could have had 3 or 4 goals if they'd brought their shooting boots.

In terms of up and coming players, I would love for us to get into the hunt to sign Alexandre Pato.  Everything dangerous the Brazilians put together came through him or Jo (the Adebayor look-alike) and he was desperately unfortunate to hit the side netting with a sublime chip after a superb run down the right.  Aguero is obviously the class of the Argentine side but he's spoken for already and won't leave Atletico Madrid cheaply.  But, there are other promising Argentinians worth looking at.  Mauro Zarate is a skillful and powerful striker who's currently playing in Qatar--a league well beneath his skill level, even if the pay is good.  I also like the look of their lanky CB, Federico Fazio.  I gather he's with the Sevilla B side in the Segunda at the moment.  He's got great anticipation, poise, aerial prowess and fantastic feet for a big man.  And, I know we're full up on CMs but Ever Banega is a midfield maestro for the Argies.  Finally, if you can see past all the hype, it's clear that Freddy Adu (USA) has bags of skill on the ball and can create as well as score goals from his withdrawn striker position.  I know he didn't impress the Mancs when on trial there but he may possibly be worth a look.

As for Insua--the big Argentine lad who we do have on loan--I've not been particularly impressed, TBH.  To be fair, he did play at CB rather than his preferred LB the other night, but he looks decidedly ordinary to me: competent if not entirely commanding in defense, with very little to offer going forward.  I can't see him challenging for a first team position with Riise, Aurelio and even Arbeloa fit.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:56 pm

I had heard  that Insua had lots of good balls that ended up leading to goals in the game when Argentina scored 6.
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:59 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I had heard  that Insua had lots of good balls that ended up leading to goals in the game when Argentina scored 6.

:D

It would stand to reason...that's the only game of theirs I've missed!

Perhaps I'm being a bit hasty and a bit harsh in my judgment.  If CBC pulls their finger out, I'll watch more of their matches in the knock-out stages and see how he does then.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:26 pm

USA grinded out a really ugly win, but advance to the 1/4 finals to play Austria, thank got Besian isnt play he would light us up.
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:48 pm

JoeTerp wrote:USA grinded out a really ugly win, but advance to the 1/4 finals to play Austria, thank got Besian isnt play he would light us up.

The Americans showed great determination to win that match, mate.  Ugly it may have been but they came from behind and got the result when the chips were down.  Fair play to them.  As for Uruguay, I haven't seen a team dive and carry on as shamelessly as they did in a long time.  They were a disgrace and got exactly what they deserved.  They were poor losers too, with a few of their lads going after a couple of American players at the full time whistle. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion