International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 am

Reporter: "So Roy. How far away are you from a really good side?"

Roy: "About 4 hotels"

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:12 pm

Just sublime from Holland. 2nd half was an utter humiliation for Spain. Robben was unplayable.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Incredible scoreline,  who would ever have thought you get that result
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:19 am

Got up to a 2 degree winter morning to watch the Roos and sadly the only hot thing was the Chilli

Least the young side fought back and great to see a Ref have a good game finally in this tournament
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:10 am

Robben was exactly that... Unplayable! Truely world class player.

van Persie wasn't far behind either. That header was f*cking unreal!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:13 am

That goal was one of the best i have seen

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:11 am

Both were exceptional performances. I think Van Persie will be back to his best under Van Gaal.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Netherlands were great in the qualifiers, but qualifiers are one thing and the World Cup is something else, so I didn't think that they would be a big threat in this one. Totally changed my opinion now. I have always rated van Gaal, but since he's the manager of United now I give him a bit of extra attention, and I must say, if he keeps this up with that squad, it won't be a good sign for us at all.

Also, despite all the referee mistakes, it has been a fantastic World Cup so far.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:08 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:45 am wrote:listen to your mates damjan  :laugh:  there was nothing wrong with that challenge at all, it was perfect timing by the croatian, goal should have stood.

Actually, the rule that I'm talking about does exist. We saw a better example of it yesterday in the Spain-Netherlands game when Casillas was fouled for Holland's third goal. But that would have been a foul on any player, not just the keeper. Don't know how the ref didn't see that one. As for the Croats disallowed goal, it would have stood if the duel took place between two players, or between a player and the goalie outside the 6 yard box. But since it was inside, where the goalie has the benefit in duels, the goal was rightfully disallowed IMO. Still, the Croats didn't deserve to lose.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Wow, didn't see that coming, Luis looked gutted  :(
Great Result for England and Italy though, even if one of them lose tonight they still aren't out of it.
With Gerrard, Hendo, Sterling, Sturridge and Johnson all starting I hope England do well, basically half the side is made up of Liverpool players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:45 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:05 pm wrote:. I have always rated van Gaal, but since he's the manager of United now I give him a bit of extra attention, and I must say, if he keeps this up with that squad, it won't be a good sign for us at all.

Yes I noticed half comments on different webpages were MANC fans salvinating over LVG and how he would send them back to the top and Liverpool back to 7 or 8th

Just goes to show underneath those classless red prawn eating  shirts beats an obsessed bitter blue heart

Stunning upset by Costa Rica and just woke to see Danny level it for England

Cmon Liverpool err I mean England
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 am

england letting italy knock it around far too easily
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:58 am

Hell of a game. Both looked pretty good. I thought Gerrard getting taken out in the box was easily as much of a foul as when Sterling was booked. It's a pen for me, but I can understand why it's not given (much more of a pen than the brazil or spain pens).

Roony was awful, and I didn't get why Welbeck started, but I thought he actually played pretty damn good.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:16 am

red till i die!! » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 am wrote:england letting italy knock it around far too easily

I think we're just not used to seeing our players not applying pressure :D. Whenever I saw some Italian player freely looking around where to pass it I was thinking to my self "what the hell are you doing Hendo/Sterling, you know better, press that *****!" but then I remembered who's giving them the instructions  :glare:

Anyway, I expected a boring game to be honest but it was quite the opposite. Though that England were a bit unlucky to lose and will probably still qualify for the next round.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 am

Must admit I was very pleasantly suprised.

The subs were correct, the attitude was correct and the set up was nearly correct.

Thought Baines struggled and shown he's not quite a top class full back. Jagielka and Rooney (being out of position) didn't help him either. Couldn't understand playing Sterling through the middle if I'm honest, I think he knows the wide area better than Rooney and would have had just as much impact had he played out there and would have done a better defensive job on Matteo Darmian who looks every bit a world class full back (Rodgers take note).

Thought Welbeck done ok (not a fan) and thought Sturridge looked extremely sharp. Rooney should have scored, played a marvelous ball for Danny's goal and Sterling was a threat all game although he faded (understandabley) at the end.

Barkley and Lallana looked decent when they came on and I though Cahill was impressive too (still can't believe Villa let him go :D ).

All in I think the lads should sleep well tonight. Simply beaten by a very good side who could go all the way.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion