Fifa World Cup 2014

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Qualifying continues tonight.

Who does everyone fancy to qualify win the thing or general comments on internation teams.

France look very very poor. Havent won one of the last 5 games. 

Belgium look very good and I can see them doing very well in the world cup next year and should pretty much guarantee qualification with a win over Scotland tonight who can not possibly qualify.

England Should go top of Group H with a win.

How does South americans qualifying work top 4 automatically qualify ?

If so Uruguay could struggle to get an automatic qualification place,

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:04 pm

We beat Wales  :buttrock

On another note, Gerrard scored a good goal for England from just outside the penalty area. No power though, just a very good placement. The theory that Benny mentioned is definitely worth thinking about. Johnson and Sturrige not in the line-up, which is a good thing. Sterling's in the reserves but I'm kind of surprised that Henderson isn't there.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 pm

With Welbecks yellow meaning he will miss Wednesday, pressure will be on the medical team to get Sturridge fit in time
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:49 am

LFC1990 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 pm wrote:Qualifying continues tonight.

Who does everyone fancy to qualify win the thing or general comments on internation teams.

France look very very poor. Havent won one of the last 5 games. 

Belgium look very good and I can see them doing very well in the world cup next year and should pretty much guarantee qualification with a win over Scotland tonight who can not possibly qualify.

England Should go top of Group H with a win.

How does South americans qualifying work top 4 automatically qualify ?

If so Uruguay could struggle to get an automatic qualification place,

I think the top 4 qualify and fifth place used to have a play off with the oceania group? That's changed now and has become part of the Asia group, but I think one of the best 3rd/2nd (not sure which) placed teams in that pool of groups plays the fifth from S.America.

But don't quote me on that.   :D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 am

They better not try and patch sturridge up to play Tuesday. If he isn't fit then stick with lambert walcott and throw in someone like ashley young.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Greavesie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Ben Patrick » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 am wrote:They better not try and patch sturridge up to play Tuesday. If he isn't fit then stick with lambert walcott and throw in someone like ashley young.

Aye, I don't want Studge involved on Tuesday. Walcott down the middle? Milner and Young maybe. They've got Lambert as well, there's options with no need to get Sturridge involved
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Ben Patrick » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 am wrote:They better not try and patch sturridge up to play Tuesday. If he isn't fit then stick with lambert walcott and throw in someone like ashley young.

What a front line that will be :laugh:

Sturridge should be nowhere the squad !

Wouldn't mine Gerrars retiring as week
Benny The Noon

Postby Greavesie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:13 pm

and as I posted that Sturridge is ruled out  :D

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby laza » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:59 pm

We have already qualified......................here in Oz  :D

But yes if we hadnt I think we would have ending up playing one of south american teams which instead i think will face Oman.

Speaking of the world cup, i just returned from Europe and landed at Doha Qatar on Friday morning at 1am and it was  still a stifling 34C.

God knows how world cup is going to go there
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:18 am

laza » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:59 pm wrote:We have already qualified......................here in Oz  :D

But yes if we hadnt I think we would have ending up playing one of south american teams which instead i think will face Oman.

Speaking of the world cup, i just returned from Europe and landed at Doha Qatar on Friday morning at 1am and it was  still a stifling 34C.

God knows how world cup is going to go there

Well I live out here so I know what people will face, ok they can have air conditioned stadiums but the problem is fans walking around in the heat they can warn against it but after a few drinks good advice goes out the window, you learn to tolerate it but you never really get used to it however you do learn not to wander around in it. You will see too many falling victim to the affects of the heat, it can creep up on you really quickly. I reckon the best way would be to move it to the winter, the weather is really pleasant, plenty of sun but temperature in the 20's.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:21 am

From yesterdays Mirror (online)

Qatar’S status as 2022 World Cup hosts has been challenged by former FA chairman David Bernstein.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter last week ­admitted it was a ­mistake to award a ­summer event to the desert state – which led to controversial plans for the country to switch the 2022­ ­tournament to the ­winter.
Bernstein shares concerns over the heat in Qatar during the ­summer, when temperatures can reach 50C – but he is also against a switch to winter.

“You can’t bid on one basis and then switch around without going through the bidding process again,” he said. “If the bid is deemed to be impossible, and unhealthy for fans, then I think the thing should be rebid for.

“Qatar should rebid for the tournament and let the United States and Australia – if they wish to – bid against them again.

Everybody knew what the climate was like in Qatar – it wasn’t a secret that it’s hot. And yet the FIFA executive committee accepted the bid.

“On reflection, I think they feel they were mistaken.”

FIFA President Sepp Blatter  believes next month’s FIFA meeting in Zurich will approve the change to a winter tournament.

The Premier League, supported by many leading European clubs, oppose that switch.

Bernstein, who stepped down in July, said: “You can’t just arbitrarily change from summer to winter.

“Just to switch doesn’t seem like natural justice. It would have an adverse effect on the Premier League and other major leagues in Europe and not just for one season, but for the seasons either side.

A complete and total fk up awarding it to Qatar in the first place, do those at the top of FIFA care ? of course not they've already had their "bungs" and half of them will probably be dead by the time the finals roll around.

Not that it will happen but I'd love to see major nations stick it to FIFA by pulling out of the 2022 competition.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:27 am

I hope all members of UEFA pull out of the world cup 2022 anyway...absolute disgrace that country was ever picked
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 pm

yeah, i can understand FIFA wanting to award a world cup to someone other than the usual suspects in europe and south america but it`s an absolutely ludicrous decision to award the tournament to a nation that see`s temperatures of 50 degrees in the summer months. i imagine it`s hard work just walking around in that type of heat never mind jogging and sprinting for 90 minutes.
because international teams are very defensive and cagey these days a hell of a lot of games go to extra time and penalties, players could be out their running around for nearly 3 hours in a tight game.
i think australia would have been a perfect venue, it`s winter down there in the european off season so the temperatures would be like our spring and they have excellent stadiums and infastructure. maybe the only problem would have been the distance between cities for fans to travel but i`m sure the aussie government could have subsidized internal flights so the fans could get around cheaply.
better that than having players and fans collapsing with heat exhaustion all over the place.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 pm wrote:yeah, i can understand FIFA wanting to award a world cup to someone other than the usual suspects in europe and south america but it`s an absolutely ludicrous decision to award the tournament to a nation that see`s temperatures of 50 degrees in the summer months. i imagine it`s hard work just walking around in that type of heat never mind jogging and sprinting for 90 minutes.
because international teams are very defensive and cagey these days a hell of a lot of games go to extra time and penalties, players could be out their running around for nearly 3 hours in a tight game.
i think australia would have been a perfect venue, it`s winter down there in the european off season so the temperatures would be like our spring and they have excellent stadiums and infastructure. maybe the only problem would have been the distance between cities for fans to travel but i`m sure the aussie government could have subsidized internal flights so the fans could get around cheaply.
better that than having players and fans collapsing with heat exhaustion all over the place.

Its an absolute disgrace that the World Cup is being help in a country with a population less than a major city, its all about money. The whole thing is gonna flop IMO, the quality of the football will by abysmal.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Surely their world cup bid is void if they talk about moving it to Winter? Wasn't the award for them to host it based on it being in the summer? The whole thing is a p!ss take and the way football is these days all it needs is the major leagues is Europe to tell them to fark off

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion