Australia v japan

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:29 am

If Australia is to progress to the round of 16 we MUST finish no worse than with a draw in this match (a win would be preferred though)

I firmly believe we are more than capable of beating the Japanese and I would anticipate a rain of balls into the box for our 'tall timber' to stick it to the Japanese (traditionally shorter). Guus would probably be a little bit more sophisticated than my crude methods though!!!  :D

I understand Kewell could be used as an impact player rather than giving him a start. Probably a wise decision considering he is probably a bit underdone fitness wise.

C'mon Aussie!!!    :buttrock
Last edited by Lionheart on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:52 am

'Dirty' slur riles Socceroos

The Socceroos have reacted angrily to Japanese suggestions they are a dirty team, raising the stakes ahead of Monday's World Cup Group F opener in Kaiserslatuern.

Japanese Football Association chief executive Saburo Kawabuchi has inflamed tensions between the two sides.

"Australia are guilty of a lot of dirty fouls," Kawabuchi told Japanese sports magazine Japanese Sport Daily Hochi. "They target ankles in particular. Japan must stand up to them."

Japan playmaker Shunsuke Nakamura also bought in to the argument, saying Japan hopes to be able to draw fouls around the edge of the box because of Australia's penchant for getting stuck in.

But Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink described the Japanese comments as 'irresponsible behaviour' and believes the furore arising from Australia's style of play in the 1-1 draw against Netherlands last week is designed to influence referees.

"That's ridiculous," an angry Hiddink said of the comments, during a press conference on Sunday. "I am getting very angry when people are suggesting this."

"We have a good team, they like to fight in a game, and when people come out with this (these comments)...it is irresponsible behaviour."

Brazilian coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has also publicly questioned Australia's tactics the past week and urged referees to protect his players against the Socceroos when they play their second Group F match on June 18 (June 19 AET).

Hiddink said comments designed to influence referees were not sportsmanlike.

"That's not fair - you should play fair at the beginning. Judge if the moments are there (in a game). Don't condition referees by making those comments," he said.

"The people who make these comments show irresponsible behaviour towards our team and the sport in general."

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/worldcup/index.php?pid=st&cid=72080

I agree with Guus on this one, it is really unprofessional on those teams to make public statements.  Referees should call the game as it comes.  Impressions, whether good or bad can potentially ruin games.
Personally I love the way that Australia plays, you never see them playing dirty, but they are always "hard".  They play with intensity, will not back out of 50/50 balls, never dive and if they lose it will not be because of lack of effort.  I read a good article last week on why this world cup is going to do wonders for Australian interest. Because Australians love supporting battlers and underdogs.  I would love to see us "do a South Korea" and shock everyone.

Good to see that we are not taking any chances with Kewell, but if we are down at half time then i can see Kewell asking to go straight after the break.  A chance to qualify for the final 16 and prove the world that Australia has a good future in football is worth 45 minutes of football. If we lose this game then we are really going to struggle to make it through.
I am absolutely pumped for this game.....  :cool:
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:02 pm

come on japan :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:12 pm

I honestly believe Japan will win by the odd-goal.

They're actually a tough side to play, and I doubt you'll get too much joy trying to exploit your height advantage - they train to jump a lot more than our lot, and if you watch them, you'll see they can match most in the air.

Give them 20 years and a heightened national interest in the sport, and Japan and China will be World forces!!!! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:29 pm

1-0 japan :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:39 pm

stmichael wrote:1-0 japan :D

That goal should never have been given. These referee's are supposed to be the finest in the World. I can tell you they are not, the standard of refeering has dropped significantly since day one of the World Cup.
48-1119859832

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Australia a goal down due to a controversial goal. Up until the goal the Aussies were in full control and were knocking the ball about nicely. Since then they've hurried it more and they're losing possession because of it.

Come on Japan :D
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:50 pm

Frustrating as hell

Come on Australia!!

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 pm

There was nothing wrong with the goal imo.  The Aussie defender clearly pushed the Japanese attacker into Schwarzer - but it backfired big time. 

Japanese are playing the better football and Australia need to calm down and sort themselves out instead of steaming all over the place and losing their composure.  I know it's frustrating for them but they need to get a grip or they'll lose this.

Hopefully they can turn it around.  Hiddink must switch it to 4-4-2 or Japan will pick them off - the wing back system isn't working and they're leaving themselves open to the break every time.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:00 pm

2 World Football Top Teams and I'm at work. :angry:

:D (I'd Like Australia to win, BTW, at least they have their own concept of football, The japanese copy it)
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:17 pm

about 10 minutes ago harry kewell pulled up injured in the centre circle.

you couldn't make it up.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:43 pm

Tim Cahill has just scored for Australia. :D

It was Australia's first ever World Cup goal.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:47 pm

Cracking goal well done Oz !!!!!
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:47 pm

Tim Cahill again 2-1 Australia.

Cracking strike. :D
48-1119859832

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 pm

3-1. aloisi. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator