Australia v azzuri

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 am

The heart wants a fairytale but the head says this is the end of the road.  :down:    :D

The Aussies can create a victory but it would be a fairytale of monumental proportions, UNLESS we can take our physically robust form of game to the Italians and they become rattled. An early goal would aid in our endeavor.

It must be remembered Australia is on a win/win situation (we win if we go further. We win if we get knocked out because we were NEVER expected to be in the final 16 to begin with). The Italians have all the pressure and we all know how the Azzuri often responds to intense pressure!!  :eyebrow

It sounds as though Kewell probably start on the bench as he hasn't trained (groin soreness) since the Croatia game. Guus may use him purely as an impact player but only if needed.

Wiltshire will probably replace Emerton (suspension).

GO AUSSIES!!
  :wwww

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:23 am

Australia have been a breath of fresh air in this tournament. Absoultely give it their all, passion fight and die for the shirt.
Id love to see the underdog go through.
But its Italy...they are wily old dogs and have some great players.
Saying that, they havent the ball.z for a scrap the aussies have. Pity it wasnt England :D Sven would be cacking himself
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:07 am

Wilkshire is garbage, he's definitely not up to the standard of the other Aussie players, he could be found wanting. I think Australia will struggle to break Italy down, especially if Italy get an early goal. Viduka doesn't provide enough of a goal threat up front on his own, and I'd think a 4-4-2 with Aloisi partnering Viduka may be better suited. One up front will play right into Nesta and Cannavaro's hands IMO.

Australia must score first to have any chance. One thing they have over Italy is committment and desire, it could get them through.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 am

Didnt think Nesta was playing ?
Little concerned that we may be running out of petrol in the tank as our style of play and performance against Croats would have been very draining.
Loss of Emerton who really recaptured some of his form when he was playing in Dutch league was big blow. Have to agree about Wiltshire not sure what Guus sees in him but i guess thats one of our main problems is our lack of depth.
Nevertheless win or lose we had a fantastic tournament and they have done us Aussies proud
Just look forward to another good battling performance and will continue to dream the dream until it ends

Walk on Roos
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:08 am

I'll be rooting for the Ozzies today, Kewell injured? Groin strain so may not play.
I get the feeling that the ities might play like Portugal and cheat and dive like a bunch of pansies, hope not cause some of the Australian players might lose their rag.
Good luck Oz.  :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:03 pm

I think Guus sees Wiltshire as a player who will play with his heart on his sleeve. He certainly won't die wondering, but Guus has always favoured players who will give their all rather than on reputation alone. Jason Cullina is another who has risen to lofty heights under Hiddink.

As long as the guys play with passion tonight (I'd hate us to stoop to any BS tactics that might be employed by the Italians though) I'll be a happy chappy.

Let's face it...the Roos have been simply remarkable and I think we have gained enormous respect from the footballing world. Win, loose or draw Australia has arrived on the stage of world football. I doubt we will ever be considered a laughing stock again.

I'm enormously proud of these lads and I 'dips me lid' to them!!! 

:D    :buttrock     :bowdown

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Sorry laza you're ight, Nesta is out. Materazzi will play i guess, not a bad replacement.

Australia has definitely won repsect all over the world Lionheart and this should help them secure another top quality coach after Guus.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:38 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Australia has definitely won repsect all over the world Lionheart and this should help them secure another top quality coach after Guus.

yeah, houllier :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:48 pm

stmichael wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:Australia has definitely won repsect all over the world Lionheart and this should help them secure another top quality coach after Guus.

yeah, houllier :laugh:

:laugh: Poor australia!
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Italy have dropped Totti. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Italy: Gianluigi Buffon, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro, Marco Materazzi, Fabio Grosso, Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Simone Perrotta, Alessandro Del Piero, Luca Toni, Alberto Gilardino.

Australia: Mark Schwarzer, Lucas Neill, Craig Moore, Tim Cahill, Jason Culina, Mark Viduka, Vince Grella, Scott Chipperfield, Luke Wilkshire, Mile Sterjovski, Marco Bresciano
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 pm

Kewell not starting ? , is he at least on the bench ?

C'mon you Aussies ,stuff the Italians .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:30 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Kewell not starting ? , is he at least on the bench ?

C'mon you Aussies ,stuff the Italians .

Yeah apparently kewell is out with a groin strain for this match
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:30 pm

nah, he's injured. out with a groin strain. who'd have thought eh? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:32 pm

stmichael wrote:

nah, he's injured. out with a groin strain. who'd have thought eh? :D

Quite worrying for us really, groin problems are what plagued him for  like 2 years, he had that operation at the start of last season but it appears the problems are back...
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:33 pm

"he's injured. out with a groin strain. who'd have thought eh?"

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .

Oh well , guess thats Oz f'ucked .

Will still be  cheering them on even though I can't f'uckin' stand Cahill and Viduka .   :D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion