Robbie keane

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Almighty Red » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:04 pm

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:IMO a very good signing.

Keane will bring an extra bit of intelligence, guile and goals to the front line.

£20m is the going rate. I said before that there might be players in europe who we can get cheaper but how long does it take them to settle into the EPL. Keane will hit the ground running. Queue argument about Torres but I am sorry but Torres is a one off!!

Get this deal tied up and that's the attacking and defensive options sorted. Now all we need is to sort out the Xabi and Barry situation. My thoughts are -

Xabi to stay
Barry to join
Lucas/Plessis to go out on loan to other EPL or Championship teams

Lucas in the Championship!?!?!?  :Oo:
I'm pretty sure teams like Newcastle would love a player like him on loan...
Almighty Red

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 pm

hopefully the keane transfer really comes through... we need keane more than we need barry...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:14 pm

I agree that getting Keane would be better than Barry.
skatesy

Postby Doeboy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Update - spoken to my contact again. Keane could be done by the weekend/early part of next week. Told for £18m. Once again I was the first one to break this story and I thank my many followers
Doeboy

Postby Number 9 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Doeboy wrote:Update - spoken to my contact again. Keane could be done by the weekend/early part of next week. Told for £18m. Once again I was the first one to break this story and I thank my many followers

Whats tomorrows Lotto numbers mystic Meg?? :D  :rasp
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Five live are reporting that Spurs are reporting us and Man u for the tapping up of Keane and Berbatov respectively.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Chairman speaks out

There has been substantial speculation in respect of the futures of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane, including press comment from both Sir Alex Ferguson and Rafa Benitez. In response our Chairman, Daniel Levy has made the following statement:

"Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players. It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date and is unbelievably hypocritical given his recent comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid.

"This comes after a series of events, dating back to last summer, which have shown Manchester United to be in breach of Premier League (PL) rules. As a result, we have today made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Manchester United. Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

"Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either. However, when a player's head is turned and their commitment is absent, particularly when they occupy key positions such as that of striker, they become a negative influence in a team dressing room in which they were once a positive addition and influence. This is the situation we now have on our hands, with both Dimitar and Robbie having made it clear that they wish to leave for Manchester Utd and Liverpool respectively.

"Irrespective of the outcome and futures of Robbie and Dimitar, we are continuing to seek to bring in quality, talented players for the future, who want to play in a Spurs shirt."

============

from tottenham offical site..........
[/B]
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:57 pm

MEH just trying to keep the spurs fans onside ,for selling there best players
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 pm

redsince2001 wrote:Chairman speaks out

There has been substantial speculation in respect of the futures of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane, including press comment from both Sir Alex Ferguson and Rafa Benitez. In response our Chairman, Daniel Levy has made the following statement:

"Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players. It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date and is unbelievably hypocritical given his recent comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid.

"This comes after a series of events, dating back to last summer, which have shown Manchester United to be in breach of Premier League (PL) rules. As a result, we have today made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Manchester United. Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

"Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either. However, when a player's head is turned and their commitment is absent, particularly when they occupy key positions such as that of striker, they become a negative influence in a team dressing room in which they were once a positive addition and influence. This is the situation we now have on our hands, with both Dimitar and Robbie having made it clear that they wish to leave for Manchester Utd and Liverpool respectively.

"Irrespective of the outcome and futures of Robbie and Dimitar, we are continuing to seek to bring in quality, talented players for the future, who want to play in a Spurs shirt."

============

from tottenham offical site..........
[/B]

I can actually see his point there.
It seems the big clubs(us included)just feel that they need to put a bid in and after that they feel they can say what they want!
Its not in theory tapping up because there has been an official offer to the club.
After that offer is made it seems that the media become instantly clued in(very strange) and are quoting managers here there and everywhere.The media are being used to tempt the player and make the world know what is going on,hence increasing pressure on club and player.
Its the agents i feel,i know its not a new thing but this particular transfer window is very strange.Its being played out in the papers and is more like a game of Chess than anything else.Why cant anyone just say I want him,OK £20m,Ok there ya go,Thanks for doing business?

Its almost as if the clubs that want players know that the players are the ones with the power now and always get their wish...contracts are worth fu'ck all.
We can sign players now by a fax and talking to the likes of the Sun or Mirror,they do the rest if the player wants to come.

I know it does not effect us negatively and its the smaller teams that suffer but id rather see all teams show a bit more respect to eachother.I doubt though that this is possible as it feels now that we are about to enter a new era in football where there is no loyalty and money is the boss!

I hope each and everyone of you on here can appreciate now what we have in Carra and Gerrard,players that sweat blood and  love LFC.
Sadly in ten years time if things keep evolving the way they are now players like this will be a thing of the past!
:(
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm

I'm surprised Levy came out with that statement - didn't expect him to be so candid esp. about Keane and Berbatov's desire to leave. It looks like they're now fecked as both players want to leave, but Keane I suspect wouldn't be a c....t if the move didn't materialise, whereas Berbatov may drag his heels. I don't expect Spurs to roll over though, we've put their back up - as have the Manc's, and they'll do their best to make life difficult for us in the negotiation process. He seems resigned to losing them, but only for top dollar I suspect - a bit like the Barry deal perhaps.

Funny how for a couple of seasons they've had too many strikers to accommodate, now they look like they might lose their two most prolific players, having already lost Defoe. Boy they must be p!ssed off.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:39 pm

redsince2001 wrote:"Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission."

I wonder what the evidence will amount to?
LFC2007

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I can see Levy's point and especially how hypocritical whisky nose has been considering how he's lambasted Madrid over the grease boy.
I have to ask though, has Rafa actually said he wants to sign Keane in public (and not just reported as saying so in some rag of a newspaper)? I only ask cos I haven't seen Rafa on TV saying "I want to sign Robbie Keane", I've seen him say he likes Robbie Keane but then again that's not exactly tapping him up is it?
We've already had this with MON accusing Rafa of going public when it was just the papers putting words in to his mouth.

As for signing RK I think it would be a top quality signing. We'd be getting a proven Premiership player that has delivered wherever he's been and not hedging our bets on an unproven foreigner.
I also think that he could fit in quite nicely to the formation we finished off last season with. He does drop off the front man at times to find the ball and has the ability to either go at a defence or put a ball through for a strike partner.
£20 million is a lot for a 28 year old and even the mooted £18 million does sit a little uneasy if it's a full fee. Maybe £14 million with add ons would be cracking business but after the Barry affair I'll be happy overall if we just get a straight forward deal done this summer!!!

I'll say here and now that should we sign RK he'll no doubt be a cert for getting the no.7 shirt.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Spurs have their very own bazzabelfast

:laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Feck him and GazBaz off these two transfers arnt worth the hassle nor the money.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:59 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Spurs have their very own bazzabelfast

:laugh:

:laugh:  :D

Hes fancier than me though!
He talks French and stuff
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill