The La liga thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:03 pm

This thread is for all discussion on the new Spanish season (the old thread has been locked). Please keep all talk about anything to do with Spanish football in the upcoming season consigned to this thread.

Well last season has to have been one of the most exciting in recent memory, with Real Madrid recapturing the title after a three year absence. Most expected Barca to reign on all fronts, but despite having probably the most talented squad in Europe, they failed on all fronts (including getting knocked out of the CL by some small club from England). :D

As if they actually needed any more attacking talent, Barca have really thrown down the gauntlet by bringing in Thierry Henry to add to what was already the most frightening attacking trio in the world in Eto'o, Messi and Ronaldihno. With all the aforementioned likely to stay now, it will really be interesting to see how they are all used, and infact, whether all four of them can fit into the same side on occasions. Elsewhere at Barca, they have brought in Yaya Toure, Eric Abidal and Gabriel Milito and seem set to let Deco, Edmilson and Gudjohnsen go. Guily has already gone to Roma. Whatever anyone says, they really look the team to beat this season.

Real Madrid will have their work cut out to retain their title, especially considering they just sacked the manager who just won their first title since 2003. Obviously Beckham (one of their best players last season) has now left, Helguera has gone to Valencia and the mercurial Roberto Carlos has moved on to Fenerbache after ten years at the Bernebau. Only De Stefano played more games for the Spanish Club. On the plus side however, they have brought in Javier Saviola (ex Barcelona :oh:), Pepe and Metzelder from Dortmund. Arjen Robben looks set to follow from Chelsea.

Valencia have brought in Helguera to replace Ayala, who has moved to Zaragoza. More importantly for them though, they have managed to hold on to their main man David Villa, despite interest from a host of top European clubs. They have a nice mix of youth and experience so it will be interesting to see how the younger players do. Obviously David Silva is probably the most high profile of these youngsters but the likes of Arizmendi and Alexis will be exciting to watch.

Sevilla have been the surprise success story of recent seasons after two UEFA Cup successes but their main problem is trying to hold onto their best players. Daniel Alves has been linked with every team under the sun (Real Madrid, Chelsea and Liverpool) and the situation is still unresolved, especially since Sevilla have just signed Boulahrouz on loan from Chelsea as a possible replacement (why?) :D. They also face a fight to keep hold of top scorer Freddie Kanoute who has been linked with a return to the Premiership with Portsmouth.

In terms of possible outsiders this season, I don't think you can look any further than Athletico Madrid, Villarreal and maybe even Real Zaragoza.

Athletico Madrid are the Tottenham Hotspur of England in that they have so much promise every season with players coming in from everywhere but they generally fail to deliver. This summer they have lost their main talisman and Captain, Fernando Torres to Liverpool and have replaced him with Diego Forlan from Villarreal. The golden boot winner two seasons ago, a lot of Athletico's success will depend on Forlans success. They have also lost Galletti but have seen Luis Garcia arrive (as part of the Torres deal) along with Simao Sabrosa from Benfica. There are strong rumours of Riquelme also joining so if that's the case, surely CL qualification should be on the horizon?

Villereal have lost Forlan and brought in Jon Dahl Tomasson to play alongside the extremely talented Nihat. Robert Pires is also fit after missing a large proportion of last season through injury. At Zaragoza, they have replaced the outgoing Milito with Ayala (who hasn't even played a single minute for Villarreal) and have also brought Francisco Pavon from Real Madrid as a replacement for Gerard Pique, who has returned to Man United after his loan spell.

Just quickly, a special mention to Chris Coleman (a very good manager by the way Sabre) :D, who has taken over at second division outfit Real Sociedad. No doubt he has a tough job on his hands (Mikel Alonso has already gone on loan to Bolton) but it's good to see British managers getting a chance abroad. I've no doubt that Sociedad will be back in La Liga very soon.

As for this season though, I can't look past Barcelona. They just look so strong in all departments. There can certainly be no excuses for them this year anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dada » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:14 pm

dada

Postby Barca Murph » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Henry is a huge signing, but i think the others are more key. Milito and Abidal would add more depth to our defence and Toure will hopefully shore up a position which was severely lacking last season.

Off to watch their Scottish tour on Thur against Dundee Utd and Hearts. I really can't wait to see the new look team.
Barca Murph

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:13 am

Barca to win it this year.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Barca Murph » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:15 pm

I shall be in full Barca mode for the next 3/4 days.

Going to the training sessions tomorrow and friday morning, the games tomorrow and Saturday night. And also have a meeting with club officials at the players hotel on friday evening.

Will share pics when i get back :)
Barca Murph

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 pm

A question for Barca Murph. Last season and the season before that you had a front three of Ronaldinho on the left Messi on the right and Eto'o in the middle. With barca signing Henry how do you think the front three will differ?

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Barca Murph » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Just got back from my mini tour of Scotland this evening. Have just the pic below to share with you at the moment. It was taken in the Old Course Hotel in St Andrews, where Barca were staying.

On the left is FCB board member Albert Perrin i Calvet, and 3rd left is director of football (and Barca dream team legend) Txiki Begiristain :bowdown  I'm the one on the right looking abit like a lobster :D

Richard, we were talking to Txiki about our strike force, and he gave the impression we'll only play with 3 of the 4 at one time. He mentioned we weren't prepared to lose Eto'o and Messi last season, and now we're fully prepared for anything.

In the 2 games in Scotland we started with Ronnie, Eto'o and Santi, then 2nd half Giovanni, Henry and Bojan. During the game the strikers were rotating so we got to see them play in different positions.
Barca Murph

Postby RichardLFC1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:02 pm

Barca Murph wrote:Richard, we were talking to Txiki about our strike force, and he gave the impression we'll only play with 3 of the 4 at one time. He mentioned we weren't prepared to lose Eto'o and Messi last season, and now we're fully prepared for anything.

In the 2 games in Scotland we started with Ronnie, Eto'o and Santi, then 2nd half Giovanni, Henry and Bojan. During the game the strikers were rotating so we got to see them play in different positions.

Did Messi not play because of the Copa America and he needed a break or was he just not picked

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Barca Murph » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:08 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:Did Messi not play because of the Copa America and he needed a break or was he just not picked

Yeah, Messi, Marquez and Milito were all given extra time off after the Copa.
Barca Murph

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:35 pm

Hard to say who will win it next season, i think it will be a 2 team race, barca and real madrid. real madrid have strengthened now with some good players, but im not convinced about shuscter.

Barca will definitly be the team to watch, they got some quality players, especially yaya toure, who i think will be a great signing for the club, plus militio.

barca murph, what do you think about oleguer? is he good? i think he is average, and he does alot of mistakes, good thing you brought militio

so i guess its going to be between barca and real
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Barca Murph » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:24 pm

metalhead wrote:barca murph, what do you think about oleguer? is he good? i think he is average, and he does alot of mistakes, good thing you brought militio

Oleguer could probably be first choice at alot of other clubs, he just lacks that little bit of quality to become a regular at Barca.

Having said that i think Oggy is a legend and would never say a bad thing about him. He is also well loved by the fans.
Barca Murph

Postby Barca Murph » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:47 pm

reial madrid kept up their pre season losing streak in style in the Caranza trophy yesterday.

Drawing 0-0 with Betis going into the last minute, they subbed Casillas for Dudek for the potential penalty shoot out. Just after coming on Dudek was soon picking the ball out the back of the net with a goal from a free kick. They lost 1-0 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Barca Murph

Postby Huck » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Really really glad to see that the historical obsession with Real Madrid goes on within barça. Anyway, yes, it was pretty ridiculous, just as the team game during all this pre-season...not really worried about it though, I don't care about pre-seasons. The only thing that really bothers me is the typical situation in every summer with Real Madrid trying to sign players at the end of August!!! didn't they know that, for instance, Roberto Carlos was going to leave?? Incredible. We'll see what happens on Sunday, I'm confident to tell the truth.
BTW, mouth-watering Sunday: LFC-Chelski; Toledo-Zamora; and Real Madrid-Sevilla!! The three teams in my heart playing in a row!!
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby Barca Murph » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Beaten again 5-3 at home and 6-3 on agg in the Super Cup :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Barca Murph

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion