Liverpool V Newcastle UTD 16:00 04/11/12

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redno7 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:25 pm

exactly. 1 good striker and fortunes will change.
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:34 pm

redno7 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:25 pm wrote:exactly. 1 good striker and fortunes will change.

Well that depends if Rodgers can bring someone in. Apparently he wants Daniel Sturridge, my main problem with Sturridge is his mental astuteness. In layman's terms the fella lacks composure at times and snatches at chances, I'm sure with more experience and growth he'll get better. I heard Chelsea rejected a loan offer from us for him asking for £20m for him. I just wonder if Rodgers would be tempted to bring him for that price should he have the funds to do so.
Boxscarf

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm

the lone wolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:53 am wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 pm wrote:
rodgers is flogging a dead horse with this philosophy of his, we just havent got the players to play that way.
all our `possession football` seems to do in my eyes is allow teams to get set in defence and the fact is we just dont have a xavi or iniesta who can open up a packed defence with a through ball.
ironically when we do score it`s usually from direct play or a set piece.
not only is this philosophy of his making us look toothless in attack we look very shaky at the back, again today we were lucky not to concedede on the break.
never mind signing a center forward i just cant see anything `clicking` into place without us signing a creative genius of an attacking midfielder.
i honestly think benitez would have got a lot more out of the same group of players, i certainly dont think any benitez side would concede nearly 30 goals by the begining of november.
i`m not even seeing a progression, i actually think we looked more impressive early on in the season against city and united.

Brendan is setting out his stall so to speak and it's not going to happen overnight, you being a long-time supporter of this club and a highly intelligent man should know this. Yes we do have problems, yes things could be better, but I am seeing progress under Rodgers. We already look a much better team than last season. We seem in better shape going forward than we have been in three years.

Rodgers's philosophy won't be instilled straight away and over the coming transfer windows we will see Rodgers bring in the players that accompany his style. As for Benitez he's a great manager, but he seems to have put his management career on hold and has become a pundit on Skysports. I miss Benitez terribly, I believe with the right financial backing, Benitez would have taken us to numerous league titles and cup successes, but he's not here anymore. Rodgers is our manager and he receives my total support whilst our manager.

My only criticism of Rodgers is that sometimes the man needs to have some STFU juice. Apart from that the lads done good (so far...)

The CLUB gets my total support, the fans get my total support, the manager has to my earn respect, then he will get my total support...

Isn't BR part of the club ffs ???
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 pm

why are you going on about the newcastle game? we`ve won 2 league games out of 10 and with our next 3 fixtures being chelsea away, swansea away and spurs away i will be genuinely made up if that stat turns into 3 wins in 13 games. i honestly think we will do well to win one of our next 3 games.
we are talking about relegation form here and lets face it rodgers has been here before, he was sacked from reading because results were so poor and at watford they spent half the season in the bottom 3 but managed to fight their way up to halfway by the seasons end. this isnt ancient history either this all happened in the last 4 years. take away what he did at swansea and his C.V shows his teams tend to struggle near the bottom of the table.
because he talks a good game and mentions barcelona a few times everyone is convinced this fella knows all the answers.
i think he`s niave and one dimensional and opposition managers know how to work him out. they know exactly what we are going to do because he tells them in the press. opposition teams can read us like a book and thats why we look toothless up front.
whenever barcelona leave messi, xavi and iniesta out they dont look anything special, it`s not the system that beats teams but the players.
does rodgers think that by bringing in the likes of signurdsson, dempsey, sturridge, kalou etc that we are going to pass through teams like barca?
if he wants to play this style he had better start looking at some creative geniuses because we are not good enough to pass through set defences.
this is not just about 1 game against newcastle.

At the end of the day he is ONE decent striker away from relative success. I  agree that philosophy is nothing without the players which can implement it but after watching all of our  games thus far it all starts and ends with us missing a striker. That's it.

That's not the case at all.

The entire setup needs looking at. Installing a striker at one end won't help the ridiculous leakage of goals at the other.
tonyeh

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 pm

tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 pm wrote:
why are you going on about the newcastle game? we`ve won 2 league games out of 10 and with our next 3 fixtures being chelsea away, swansea away and spurs away i will be genuinely made up if that stat turns into 3 wins in 13 games. i honestly think we will do well to win one of our next 3 games.
we are talking about relegation form here and lets face it rodgers has been here before, he was sacked from reading because results were so poor and at watford they spent half the season in the bottom 3 but managed to fight their way up to halfway by the seasons end. this isnt ancient history either this all happened in the last 4 years. take away what he did at swansea and his C.V shows his teams tend to struggle near the bottom of the table.
because he talks a good game and mentions barcelona a few times everyone is convinced this fella knows all the answers.
i think he`s niave and one dimensional and opposition managers know how to work him out. they know exactly what we are going to do because he tells them in the press. opposition teams can read us like a book and thats why we look toothless up front.
whenever barcelona leave messi, xavi and iniesta out they dont look anything special, it`s not the system that beats teams but the players.
does rodgers think that by bringing in the likes of signurdsson, dempsey, sturridge, kalou etc that we are going to pass through teams like barca?
if he wants to play this style he had better start looking at some creative geniuses because we are not good enough to pass through set defences.

At the end of the day he is ONE decent striker away from relative success. I  agree that philosophy is nothing without the players which can implement it but after watching all of our  games thus far it all starts and ends with us missing a striker. That's it.

The entire setup needs looking at. Installing a striker at one end won't help the ridiculous leakage of goals at the other.

Weve conceded 15 goals
United have conceded 14 goals As have tottenham
Everton have conceded 13

In the last 4 league games we have conceded 3 times. This is without having a steady back 4 due to the injuries to Reina Johnson and Enrique.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Actually, it's 26 in all competitions and to the likes of West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich and Swansea.

No matter how it's cut there's something that's not sitting right with team and pretending that all we need is a striker and everything will be hunky dory is silly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rogers has his work cut out for him and it's going to take a lot of hammering in different places to flatten out the lumps.

I really do wish it was just a case of getting in another striker, but there's more to it than that.
tonyeh

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm

LFC1990

After the Chelsea game we have

Wigan (H)
Swansea (A)
Tottenham (A)
Southampton (H)
West ham (A)
A.Villa (H)
Fulham (H)

Do me a favour and judge us after that because i think we will close the gap on Tottenham Arsenal and Everton in the coming weeks

actually the next few weeks will be tough, on thursday we play away at anzi and they will be a tough proposition on their own patch, if rodgers sends a weakened team over to russia there is a good chance they will get turned over but if he takes a strong side that means that we have got to play in moscow on the thursday night and in london on sunday against chelsea.
considering we have only won 2 games out of 10 in the league i think he`s got to prioritise the chelsea game myself.
2 tough games those though.
even wigan, they are a bit of a bogey side for us and there will be a hell of a lot of pressure on us to win that one especially if results dont go our way this week.
there`s quite a few tricky european games mixed in with all those fixtures, for instance the likes of udinese away 3 days before we play west ham at upton park could be a testing week too.
we`ll see what happens.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 pm

tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:17 pm wrote:

Actually that's the whole case. Add 3-4 additional goals you are way up their near the top 4. Defense might need tweaking but from a personal perspective the lack of another dominant attacker basically killed our season so far.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 pm

tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 pm wrote:Actually, it's 26 in all competitions and to the likes of West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich and Swansea.

No matter how it's cut there's something that's not sitting right with team and pretending that all we need is a striker and everything will be hunky dory is silly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rogers has his work cut out for him and it's going to take a lot of hammering in different places to flatten out the lumps.

I really do wish it was just a case of getting in another striker, but there's more to it than that.

I was talking about the premier league but if you want to go to all competitions then thats fine Man united have conceded 22 goals in 15 games which is an average of 1.46 goals per game.

We have conceded 27 goals in 16 games which works out to 1.68.

We haved played the last 4 without reina 2 without Johnson and god knows how many without lucas.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Actually Man U have conceded 23 goals and a whopping 30% of those were to Chelsea, who were playing very well and giving them a run for their money...and who'll probably rip us a new one.

Again, no matter how it's cut, there is something not right with the team and simply importing another striker ain't the whole solution. If people think that's all it's going to take, then they are seriously deluded.

The entire setup needs to be looked at.
tonyeh

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 am

LFC1990 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm wrote:
tonyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 pm wrote:Actually, it's 26 in all competitions and to the likes of West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich and Swansea.

I was talking about the premier league but if you want to go to all competitions then thats fine Man united have conceded 22 goals in 15 games which is an average of 1.46 goals per game.

We have conceded 27 goals in 16 games which works out to 1.68.

We haved played the last 4 without reina 2 without Johnson and god knows how many without lucas.

united have had a centre half injury crisis all season, they have even been playing the likes of carrick at the back.
they just get on with it though, they`d be excuses galore if that was the case at anfield.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 am

In fairness Yabba, Man Utd have a far greater squad with better depth with the ability to absorb disruption. We don't, hence we have a team with an average age a little over 13. Its unbelieveable the way the squad has been decimated leaving no core.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games