Liverpool v Newcastle 1/1/24, KO: 20:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:05 am

Another gritty win despite the total dominance. Jota coming on seemed to change the game and make us more clinical, he just seems like an intelligent player.

I feel bad for Darwin, he tries and tried and just seems unlucky. He reminds me of Crouch when he came, it started off he couldn’t score despite his hard work for the team, he did get it together eventually. As frustrating as it is watching him miss so many chances, it’s hard to not wish him success as he does work hard for the team. He doesn’t seem to sulk, and chases and pressures the other team all over the park. He has all the tools to be world class except composure, can that be taught? What does frustrate me more than anything is the amount of times he is caught offside, he always seems to be on the wrong side of the line. Again, can that be coached?

Bottom line we won another one and put the pressure on the other teams. Klopp 2.0 is gritty, talented and have a good chemistry. I can’t wait to see this team grow together.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:34 am

XG is phenomenal highest apparently since stats were established, should've banged in more.

Just wondering how Jota lost his balance, could've still bagged in a goal.

Good to see Mac back, he'll  be needed with Endo off.

Hoping sboz injury ain't a long one.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:48 am

Love the work ethic in this team, the likes of Curtis, Dom, Darwin Endo etc etc get through prodigious amounts of work, when you get talented skilful players prepared to roll their sleeves up and put in a proper, proper shift you have pretty much cracked the code in this game. Love the unselfishness in front of goal too, what that tells me is that the team, the shirt, the badge, comes first.
Wether we go on to win the title or not (big money is a very powerful adversary) the manager,his staff, Virgil, Trent and the rest of the leadership group should be proud of the old school Shankly-esque culture they have created. Not easy to do in this modern era of millionaire footballers with out of control ego’s. Just look at some of our rivals.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:50 am

Excellent game but difficult to disguise that before the subs, we were struggling to put the ball in the net despite the chances.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:24 pm

Great game but not good for the nerves at all. We had full control but was very scrappy at times and abysmal in front of goal. Can't be missing stuff like that at this level. Nunez has got to sort himself out and we have got to start introducing shooting into training because we look like we don't and just wing it if a chance comes up. No composure just hit it straight at the keeper.

Endo is growing on me, think we could do with better but lately he's putting in a few shifts. Don't think he's great but giving an account of himself every game.

Usually critical of Jones as well but he had another good game. Mo gets MOTM as thought he put himself about and continues to break records. He will be missed.

Delighted we are where we are and never thought we would be here this season. Top of the pile at Christmas and New year was such a welcome present with the bonus being the little gap we opened up.

I still think VAR is rubbish and the time taken to review the incidents too long. It's killing the atmosphere and the will to celebrate a goal. The decisions are still confusing as well. Jota dived. If the contact wasn't enough to take him down then he wasn't taken out of it and it's no pen. He took a bad touch due to the pressure from the keeper and imo let it get away so threw himself to the ground. I would be livid if that was given against us.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:16 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:24 pm wrote:Great game but not good for the nerves at all. We had full control but was very scrappy at times and abysmal in front of goal. Can't be missing stuff like that at this level. Nunez has got to sort himself out and we have got to start introducing shooting into training because we look like we don't and just wing it if a chance comes up. No composure just hit it straight at the keeper.

Endo is growing on me, think we could do with better but lately he's putting in a few shifts. Don't think he's great but giving an account of himself every game.

Usually critical of Jones as well but he had another good game. Mo gets MOTM as thought he put himself about and continues to break records. He will be missed.

Delighted we are where we are and never thought we would be here this season. Top of the pile at Christmas and New year was such a welcome present with the bonus being the little gap we opened up.

I still think VAR is rubbish and the time taken to review the incidents too long. It's killing the atmosphere and the will to celebrate a goal. The decisions are still confusing as well. Jota dived. If the contact wasn't enough to take him down then he wasn't taken out of it and it's no pen. He took a bad touch due to the pressure from the keeper and imo let it get away so threw himself to the ground. I would be livid if that was given against us.

You quoting my last few hundred posts verbatim, mate?
:D
Only jesting....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:36 pm

Players like Endo, Gomez, Jones and Elliot are never going to set the world alight but they certainly contribute to the success of the team over the course of a season.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:46 pm

Reg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:36 pm wrote:Players like Endo, Gomez, Jones and Elliot are never going to set the world alight but they certainly contribute to the success of the team over the course of a season.

:nod , I guess you're offering some faint praise there Reg  :;):  .

You can't build a house unless you have somebody to carry the bricks and those lads mentioned have, so far , carried that load.  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:46 pm

Big praise Woof, it's players like them that ensure we get through the season despite so many games. They're not superstars but we'd be lost without them.

Happy new year by the way and thanks for your ongoing support for the forum, much appreciated.  :buttrock  :bowdown  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:07 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:46 pm wrote:Big praise Woof, it's players like them that ensure we get through the season despite so many games. They're not superstars but we'd be lost without them.

Happy new year by the way and thanks for your ongoing support for the forum, much appreciated.  :buttrock  :bowdown  :buttrock

And a belated Happy New Year to you Reg , a stalwart in the forum  :buttrock
p.s. Mrs Grimshaw sends her love  :lookaround   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games