Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:41 pm

kazza » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:45 am wrote:I hope we don’t have a Lovren situation with Gini leaving. When Lovren left he was not replaced with the assumption that we had young cover coming through yet last year we saw that he should have been replaced, I see a similar situation with Gini not being replaced. I know we have cover but Keita and Ox are both injury concerns and you can add Hendo to that list, Elliott is untested over the course of a season and Milner is 35 (oh yes, and Shaq is leaving).  It seems reckless to wait until we have an injury crisis like last year before we replace Gini and it is almost certain to happen this season. Waiting until next year to save a few bob on a midfielder might be something we my regret.

Possibly mate but we do have numbers there - Fab, Thiago, Hendo, Naby, Milner, AOC, Jones, Elliott not to mention that young lad who impressed in pre season (Clarkson?) so we really would need an injury crisis of epic proportions not to not be able to field a 3 from that lot.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 pm

We didn't need an extra midfielder last year but knew that there was a good chance Gini would leave this summer and we had a chance to bring in one of the best midfielders in Europe so we decided to act early. We're not short of numbers in midfield. The squad is generally pretty well stocked but it would be nice to move on Origi and get in someone who is more suited to our play.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:08 am

Origi is in an odd situation. We can't replace him with quality because no self respecting attacker is going to move to Anfield to be 5th choice behind Mo, Mane. Bobby and Jota. That said he's too senior to be 5th choice so really, if we can afford his wages... just keep the lad. Ideally he should be replaced by the next starlet coming up from the Academy.

We should have rolled 3 midfielders this summer - Gini leaving allowed Milly to stay another 12 months. Hendo is aging but keeps his place and Thiago has 2 more seasons in him.  Ox and Keita should have moved on. We keep Ox as injury cover and to provide 12 months cover for Elliot. Keita is surely in his last season if he doesn't make a proper contribution. Again we keep him because it's cheaper than replacing him.

By not bringing in a 4th striker and replacing Gini, Ox and Keita, the club have avoided spending up to 175 million minus sale revenue of 57 million (Keita 30 max, Ox 12 and Origi  15) so net 100 million. I suspect this is the reasoning, as it was also to extend so many player contracts. Sensible financial strategy but as boring as hell....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 am

I think we're looking at trying for Mbappe next season when his contracts ends.. but we all know Madrid want him, and he wants Madrid.

Then, apparently after the 1st of Sept Haalands release clause comes into effect... which is in the £60m region. So we might be also looking at him for the January transfer window.

If all this lack of movement in the transfer market for the last 2 years brings us one of those 2 I think we'll all be very happy indeed.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:09 am

Assuming that Mbappe does see out the final year of his contract I'd think he'll have contract offers from every top European club, including us. If it was entirely about the money he'd stay at PSG but clearly he's bored and wants to move to a better league. He was a big Real Madrid fan growing up so they are probably favourites but sounds like he's also fond of us and Klopp so you never know.

Raiola is Haaland's agent so it would be an expensive deal with a huge agent fees and a big fee also paid to Haaland's dad who acts as his joint representative. I'd imagine he moves to where ever the biggest financial package is on offer. And Raiola was pretty scathing of Klopp on Balotelli so not sure Jurgen would want to the circus that comes along with client's of Raiola.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:29 pm

I imagine Bayern Munich will snap up one of them. RM/Barca are spent forces for the next 5+ years so knowing that PSG paid €160.00m and €222 million on Neymar they're not going to let the lad walk away on a free and walk away from that kind of paper loss. Mbappe has value, he's still worth €125m with 12 months left on his contract being on 24 but Neymar is a lost soul being 29 now and under contract until 2025. I wouldn't pay more than 75 million today, hoping that increased sponsor interest would cover the cost.

When you consider the owners of PSG and City are both Qatari it's difficult to believe they won't do something off the books that sees sufficient buckets of sand being delivered one way or the other. Strangely Puma are City's shirt sponsor in a £65m a year for deal for 10 years, whereas PSG are Nike.

Haaland I expect to stay on the continent, probably with Bayern.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:57 am

City’s owners are from UAE (Abu Dhabi) and PSG’s owners are from Qatar, completely different countries that are in the middle of a diplomatic spat…. I doubt very much that buckets of sand will be delivered off the books  :glare:

Just saying
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:57 am

Thanks Kazza for that, when I google PSG owners it said Qatar!

I see RM have bid 160m for Mbappe. I fear it's the death call of a once great club. They can't afford 160m and they can't afford his wages. At 22 years old though Mbappe can afford to make mistakes, at least he'll be playing proper football in a proper league unlike Neymar,
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:37 am

Given their wealth and the fact they need a striker after losing Aguero I'll be surprised if City don't pick one of them up.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:22 am

Qatar and the UAE have a pretty strained relationship so as a matter of pride I doubt PSG would sell directly to Man City. And in terms of not wanting to lose Mbappe on a free, £100 odd million is chump change to the owners of PSG so can't see that being a defining factor. Real Madrid wouldn't have made an offer unless Mbappe had given them encouragement and with them being backed by the state I'm sure they can overcome any financial hurdles. Ronaldo to PSG and Mbappe to Real Madrid all sounds quite plausible.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:53 am

From German media outlet BILD, "Agent Mino Raiola wanted Chelsea to pay Erling Haaland £821,000 per week, and demanded a £34m commission fee".
Eagle

Postby Penguins » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:40 am

Just pure delusion to believe that we're "saving" money for the next off season.
The truth is the owners hasn't spend money for years and won't start anytime soon unless one of the stars are sold.
They're americans, in the bussiness of making money.
And the next off season the same fans/sheep will make up another excuse for them....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm

I don't mind us selling a star if we have a great replacement in the pipeline, that's good business.
Like with Couts, sell and bring in VVD and Ali....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:26 pm

The year after winning the biggest trophy in football (UCL) we took advantage by buying absolutely no one in the transfer window. Infact I think we spent a grand total of £8m.

We saw the writing in the wall when Virgil/matip/Gomez all got injured last season and we didn't sign any reinforcements in the Jan transfer window. That ultimately cost us the league.

We've made alot of good signing for low fees.. but we've made alot of basic errors in the transfer market aswell.

I think we need a really good player to come in to freshen it up and get the fans and the players excited.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:29 pm

Eagle » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:53 am wrote:From German media outlet BILD, "Agent Mino Raiola wanted Chelsea to pay Erling Haaland £821,000 per week, and demanded a £34m commission fee".

Had read something a while back from the Chelsea side saying the hold up was Raiola trying to stick in dubious terms. 

I tell you though that is some commission  :laugh: and £821.000 a week is why players sign for the parasite.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill