Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby kazza » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:52 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:39 am

Sure, keep on living on the hope of the next window....
You don't think other clubs will be after those players...?
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:00 pm

I feel very underwhelmed.... we needed players last season and once again we have no back up. 4 attackers and Bobby's possibly out for 3 months so we only have 3 to play week in, week out.

Sounds familiar. The other sides have reinforced at will. LFC just sat back and watched.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:09 pm

I was looking at which players are out of contract by next summer a few days ago and there are some big names on that list. Obviously some might sign an extension but not all will.

There were a lot of good midfielders on the list I was looking at, the ones that stood out the most for me were Franck Kessie from Milan (who is also mentioned in the article) and Lorenzo Pellegrini from Roma and if I recall we had some strong links to Pellegrini earlier this summer. Although I would prefer to sign Kessie, something tells me that we might already be working on a deal for Pellegrini and have him arrive next summer as a free transfer.

In any event, I think it's very likely that we'll bring in a midfielder on bosman next summer or at a cut price this winter.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:14 pm

damjan193 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:09 pm wrote:

I was looking at which players are out of contract by next summer a few days ago and there are some big names on that list. Obviously some might sign an extension but not all will.

There were a lot of good midfielders on the list I was looking at, the ones that stood out the most for me were Franck Kessie from Milan (who is also mentioned in the article) and Lorenzo Pellegrini from Roma and if I recall we had some strong links to Pellegrini earlier this summer. Although I would prefer to sign Kessie, something tells me that we might already be working on a deal for Pellegrini and have him arrive next summer as a free transfer.

In any event, I think it's very likely that we'll bring in a midfielder on bosman next summer or at a cut price this winter.

Leon Goretzka is another who if I’m right was a player Klopp liked
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:09 pm wrote:

Leon Goretzka is another who if I’m right was a player Klopp liked

Him too, but I expect him to sign an extension with Bayern. Can't see Inter letting Borzovic go either. Pedri from Barca is on his last year too but they'll be mad not to do everything in their power to keep their biggest talent considering the situation they're in.

I'm almost certain that Kessie and Pellegrini will not sign a new contract with their clubs. I checked their earnings too, they make less than €100k, we can easily offer double and still have them earn less than our current biggest earners.

Anyway, here's the full list if anyone is interested. Obviously some will sign an extension but there will be plenty that won't IMO, so there won't be a lack of options.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik ... evertraege
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:50 pm

Interesting list - there is certainly some very good players on there that could be very good for us

Such a shame Dembele can’t stay fit
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:54 am

With Kelleher establishing himself as the undisputed backup to Alisson, and Adrian signing an extension to stay as our experienced 3rd choice, there was no need to bring in a goalie. Karius didn’t manage to find a move and with him being in the final year of his contract, I’d imagine we’ll try to negotiate a payoff with him that would be less than the wages we are committed to paying him over the course of the season.

I always thought we’d hang on to one of Phillips, Ben Davis, or Rhy Williams, to be 5th choice behind van Dijk, Matip, Gomez and Konate. Phillips had been hinting that he was ready to move on but with no suitable offer on the table we decided to hang onto him and improve the contact he signed whilst in the academy and in the process protect his value. That then allowed us to loan out Rhy Williams in addition Ben Davies who’d secured a deal earlier in the window. Tsimikas looks like he’s going to be great cover/competition for Robertson. Neco Williams hasn’t really had his breakthrough moment yet so we don’t have any established cover for Trent. But we don’t really want to be chopping and changing the team too much and it’s difficult to keep 4 senior fullbacks happy. Ideally you want 3 senior fullbacks who you can rotate with at least one being able to play both RB and LB like Cancelo does for City. Tsimikas looks much better with his right foot than Robertson so I wonder if he could be 1st cover/rotation option for both our fullbacks.

With us signing Thiago a year early to replace Gini, and once Elliott came into the picture, I never really expected we’d bring in a midfielder unless Keita or Ox wanted to move on – which they evidently didn’t want to do. Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones and Elliott, are plenty of cover for 3 starting positions.

Attack is somewhere I thought we’d do business. Salah, Mane, Firmino and Jota is a strong 4, and I liked what I saw of Minamino in pre-season and we can’t have 22 players on 100K plus a week so we need some low cost cover. But being left with Origi once again being part of our second 11 is a disappointment. He’s a square peg for a round hole here but he doesn’t seem to have any real motivation to drop down a few levels and try and work his way back up and seems to prefer being a bit part player at the top level which is strange for a player at his age. Not a peep from him or his agent in the press trying to get a move. Ideally we would have moved Origi on and bought in a replacement. But even with him hanging around, I do think there was justification to bring in another attacker. We have good cover in all areas but it’s not a bloated squad so I think another addition wouldn’t have been an issue. Maybe Klopp and Edwards have identified our next attacking signing but he isn't available yet. We've seen with signings like van Dijk and Konate that we'd rather keep our power dry and wait until our first choice is available.

The fact that we only made one signing in the window hasn’t upset me like it has many fans as I think we have a great squad that will be able to cope with a normal amount of injuries and will be right in the mix come April/May. It's nice having shinny new toys to play with but I don't see the point in buying just to make the fans happy.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Liverpool’s Successful Summer – Squad Harmony and a More Important Type of Signing

https://tomkinstimes.com/2021/09/liverp ... f-signing/
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Reg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:17 pm wrote:Liverpool’s Successful Summer – Squad Harmony and a More Important Type of Signing

Good read
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Eagle » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:54 am wrote:With Kelleher establishing himself as the undisputed backup to Alisson, and Adrian signing an extension to stay as our experienced 3rd choice, there was no need to bring in a goalie. Karius didn’t manage to find a move and with him being in the final year of his contract, I’d imagine we’ll try to negotiate a payoff with him that would be less than the wages we are committed to paying him over the course of the season.

I always thought we’d hang on to one of Phillips, Ben Davis, or Rhy Williams, to be 5th choice behind van Dijk, Matip, Gomez and Konate. Phillips had been hinting that he was ready to move on but with no suitable offer on the table we decided to hang onto him and improve the contact he signed whilst in the academy and in the process protect his value. That then allowed us to loan out Rhy Williams in addition Ben Davies who’d secured a deal earlier in the window. Tsimikas looks like he’s going to be great cover/competition for Robertson. Neco Williams hasn’t really had his breakthrough moment yet so we don’t have any established cover for Trent. But we don’t really want to be chopping and changing the team too much and it’s difficult to keep 4 senior fullbacks happy. Ideally you want 3 senior fullbacks who you can rotate with at least one being able to play both RB and LB like Cancelo does for City. Tsimikas looks much better with his right foot than Robertson so I wonder if he could be 1st cover/rotation option for both our fullbacks.

With us signing Thiago a year early to replace Gini, and once Elliott came into the picture, I never really expected we’d bring in a midfielder unless Keita or Ox wanted to move on – which they evidently didn’t want to do. Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones and Elliott, are plenty of cover for 3 starting positions.

Attack is somewhere I thought we’d do business. Salah, Mane, Firmino and Jota is a strong 4, and I liked what I saw of Minamino in pre-season and we can’t have 22 players on 100K plus a week so we need some low cost cover. But being left with Origi once again being part of our second 11 is a disappointment. He’s a square peg for a round hole here but he doesn’t seem to have any real motivation to drop down a few levels and try and work his way back up and seems to prefer being a bit part player at the top level which is strange for a player at his age. Not a peep from him or his agent in the press trying to get a move. Ideally we would have moved Origi on and bought in a replacement. But even with him hanging around, I do think there was justification to bring in another attacker. We have good cover in all areas but it’s not a bloated squad so I think another addition wouldn’t have been an issue. Maybe Klopp and Edwards have identified our next attacking signing but he isn't available yet. We've seen with signings like van Dijk and Konate that we'd rather keep our power dry and wait until our first choice is available.

The fact that we only made one signing in the window hasn’t upset me like it has many fans as I think we have a great squad that will be able to cope with a normal amount of injuries and will be right in the mix come April/May. It's nice having shinny new toys to play with but I don't see the point in buying just to make the fans happy.

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:58 am

Reg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:17 pm wrote:Liverpool’s Successful Summer – Squad Harmony and a More Important Type of Signing

Ronaldo coming to ManUre, takes the number 7 shirt from Cavani, I’m sure that will cause disharmony. Going to be a fun dressing room with the egofest that will be there. If things go pear shape they will all start turning on each other. I cannot see how you fit the egos of Pogba, who wanted a rolls to take him to matches rather than sit in the bus with the rest of the team and Ronaldo who travels on his own plane, they don’t have purple nose to keep a tight reign.

Our players are far more a family than a team, Klopp goes for team chemistry above all.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 am

The whole United situation is exactly the opposite of what LFC are striving for in terms of harmony. The Utd players who broke into the first team now see themselves over shadowed by the aging but god like figures of Ronaldo and  Cavani, plus Sancho and Varane coming straight into the first team. Rashford has gone from being key man to fringe. Pogba has gone form being centre stage ballerina to supporting role. Fernandez over shadowed by Ronaldo. There can't be many in the dressing room who see any of the recent activity as being good for their future. Plus of course, the salary structure has been smashed so against Rashford thinks to himself WTF? Now probably more than any other time are Itd a team of individuals rather than a team working for each other. And the weakest link in the whole bunch is... the manager who just sits on the garden gate waiting to be told what to do. UNited are all smoke and mirrors, on paper it looks great but if they're not careful they'll be in turmoil by Christmas.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:59 am

Reg » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:04 am wrote:The whole United situation is exactly the opposite of what LFC are striving for in terms of harmony. The Utd players who broke into the first team now see themselves over shadowed by the aging but god like figures of Ronaldo and  Cavani, plus Sancho and Varane coming straight into the first team. Rashford has gone from being key man to fringe. Pogba has gone form being centre stage ballerina to supporting role. Fernandez over shadowed by Ronaldo. There can't be many in the dressing room who see any of the recent activity as being good for their future. Plus of course, the salary structure has been smashed so against Rashford thinks to himself WTF? Now probably more than any other time are Itd a team of individuals rather than a team working for each other. And the weakest link in the whole bunch is... the manager who just sits on the garden gate waiting to be told what to do. UNited are all smoke and mirrors, on paper it looks great but if they're not careful they'll be in turmoil by Christmas.

Can only hope   :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:01 pm

I almost feel bad for Greenwood, top young talent whos progress will be hindered by their new arrivals. On the other hand, we'll never have him so it might be for the best if they ruin his future career.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill