Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:53 am

The Coutinho situation is an interesting one, Phil has been a model pro since he's been here, in fact the only time he's had a bit of a whinge was 12 months ago when he whinged about the British weather which just happened to coincide with stories in the press linking him to Barcelona  :lookaround
He obviously would like to go there but moving to Barca may not be quite the proposition it was a few years ago. For a start they are no longer clearly the best side in Europe, even before Juventus handed them their @rse in last year's CL they were extremely lucky to get past PSG and RM obviously won the title in Spain.
Iniesta's finished, Messi, Suarez, Mascherano, Pique etc are in their 30's now and even the younger members of that great side like Busquets and Jordie Alba are 29. To top it all off even Phil's best mate Neymar wants out, apparently he's pi[ss]ed off with Messi's influence behind the scene's.
It's not as if Barca are pulling out all the stops to build another great team either, Phil is the only decent player they've been linked with and even Evertonians raised a few eyebrows when Delofeu re-signed for them, he couldn't even get into Everton's starting XI.
You've got an aging team with Messi having a lot of say and a weak manager that no ones heard of, I think Neymar can see the writing on the wall myself, you don't need to be a genius to see that it's going to get very messy (excuse the pun) at Barca over the next 3 or 4 years because often the last to know that once great players are finished are the players themselves. If those players are the ones running the show then it's a recipe for disaster.
When you've had the type of adulation Messi and co. have had over their careers it's tough to let go.
Stay here Phil, we are a team on the up with a manager calling the shots, not the dressing room.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 am

Good post Yakka. Good analysis of Barce, still a great side but you do get a sense that they are on the slide. I say that as someone with a soft spot for them, been over to watch them at camp nou and it is a fantastic place, club and set up.

That said, my soft spot has hardened after we lost Masch and Suarez to them plus now bidding for Phil!

I think LFC will tell Coutinho he's staying put this summer and probably improve his deal to reflect him clearly being the jewel in our crown (even though he signed his last deal last season). But they'll probably have a gentlemans agreement to listen to offers next summer or beyond.  By then if we have a good showing in CL and qualify again next season he'll either want to stay or if he goes we'll get a massive fee and we'll hopefully appeal to other top players to replace him, being seen as a more established CL side.

The way the transfer market is escalating no way i would sell him this summer, even if i wanted to, he could be worth double or more by next!!

Eventually he'll go though and probably to Spain. Eventually we'll have to come to terms with that i feel, but not yet.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:40 am

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Almost certain Barcelona will be back for Couthino if Neymar does seal a move to PSG as expected.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:30 pm

If PSG sign Neymar and Alexi Sanchez there's a very good chance that they'll play the role of Rome to Barca's Athens. They'll be the ones appearing in 3 of the next 5 CL finals, not aging, effectively managerless Barcelona.
Phil has only just turned 25, he would be better off staying here and seeing how the land lies in 12 months time. Does he want to be remembered as the Dean Saunders or Mark Walters of Barca? Does he want to be one of the players carrying the can when the curtain comes down on the golden age?
Paris could be the place to be if he wants to end his career with 2 or 3 CL wins.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 pm

I'd take the £35m and go and sign Mahrez with it. Emre is a good player but he is already behind the likes of Hendo and Wijnaldum and that's before someone like Keita (fingers crossed) comes in.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Genuinely not bothered if Can stays or goes. He flatters to deceive. Good on his day but his day isnt often enough. Positionally poor and that worries me, the rest of his game isnt good enough to compensate like a Yaya in his prime.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Keita deal has been agreed for £74.5m, according to Winter Sports*: http://www.winnersports.co.uk/liverpool ... eita-75508

*I've never heard of Winter Sports until now  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 pm wrote:

I'd take the £35m and go and sign Mahrez with it. Emre is a good player but he is already behind the likes of Hendo and Wijnaldum and that's before someone like Keita (fingers crossed) comes in.

Emre Can is only 23 - He's not reached his physical / mental peak - why on earth are we developing these young players only to allow them to move on when it is quite clear we have not yet seen the best of them yet? The very fact that the current Italian Champions and CL Runners Up want him speak volumes!
---
RE; Mahrez - To invest heavily in a player that was probably a ring leader in the disposition of a PL winning manager also rings alarm bells!
We've got enough creativity in the team already.
---
Our beloved captain and Can are very similar in their development. At this point I'd rather we keep our starting 11 + regular subs intact going into the new season and only off-load fringe players and Academy players.
---
The time for us to capitalise on our long-term investments starts now...  :nod  Or we will never reach our summit.
  :no
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:18 pm

It's on sky sports now that they have rejected the third bid for Naby Keita. That deal is now dead in the water, we have to move on before we waste the entire transfer window.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kartiek » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 pm

I think we should move on from Keita. Already paying a lot more than market value.
kartiek

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:44 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:18 pm wrote:It's on sky sports now that they have rejected the third bid for Naby Keita. That deal is now dead in the water, we have to move on before we waste the entire transfer window.

Looking like it's dead in the water, alright.

Never mind, hpoefully we have a plan B and C, as the queue for Kieta will be rather long come next summer  :(
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Keita won't happen so its best we move on. Owner is reluctant to let go of him, we are just wasting our time.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:18 pm wrote:It's on sky sports now that they have rejected the third bid for Naby Keita. That deal is now dead in the water, we have to move on before we waste the entire transfer window.

The report does not state this... Read into this as you wish?
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... naby-keita
----
IMO; Sometime next week we will make a 3rd and final offer and the offer will be accepted.
The player will travel to Liverpool for medical and back to Germany in time for the promotion of the Audi Cup which is being screened live on ITV4.
Doubt he will make his debut against Bayern - But who knows - things can move fast in football.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

I think the saga may continue for awhile as Keita is refusing to sign a new contract. Leipzig might feel that they could potentially lose Keita next summer for £48m and lose out on the  £30m we are offering on top of that at present... and also have a unhappy player.

Oh and he's just started following Firmino and Mane on Instagram.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill