Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Eagle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 am wrote:According to today's Echo we have turned down a £72m bid from Barcelona for Phil Coutinho. The club have told Barcelona that he is not for sale but let's face it we don't have the best of records when it comes to holding on to our players once Barca or Real come knocking.
Losing Phil would be a disaster.

Whether it's this summer or next this is the beginning of the end in terms of Phil. There is speculation every window but this pretty much looks like a confirmed offer and clubs don't put in offers unless they get a signal from the player that he's willing to move. £72 mil is far too low in this market and I don't see him kicking up a fuss and going to the press so he could stay for another season but we need to start making plans for life without him.
Eagle

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 am

Heck id Keita is worth 70 million pounds, Couts is easily worth 120 million pounds...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Eagle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 am wrote:According to today's Echo we have turned down a £72m bid from Barcelona for Phil Coutinho. The club have told Barcelona that he is not for sale but let's face it we don't have the best of records when it comes to holding on to our players once Barca or Real come knocking.

Whether it's this summer or next this is the beginning of the end in terms of Phil. There is speculation every window but this pretty much looks like a confirmed offer and clubs don't put in offers unless they get a signal from the player that he's willing to move. £72 mil is far too low in this market and I don't see him kicking up a fuss and going to the press so he could stay for another season but we need to start making plans for life without him.

You do sense there's a certain inevitably whenever Real Madrid or Barcelona go in for a South American player.
Phil needs to let the club know what his intentions are, if he has his heart set on going then he should let the club know now while Mahrez is still available.
Mahrez would be one of the few players who could even attempt to fill Phil's shoe's.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:06 pm wrote:
Eagle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 am wrote:

You do sense there's a certain inevitably whenever Real Madrid or Barcelona go in for a South American player.
Phil needs to let the club know what his intentions are, if he has his heart set on going then he should let the club know now while Mahrez is still available.
Mahrez would be one of the few players who could even attempt to fill Phil's shoe's.

With Salah and Mane, we already have 2 very good players who are more comfortable playing down the right than in any other position.

I highly doubt we'll be letting Coutinho go (unless he comes out and requests a transfer), but in case we do, we should be going after an Aubameyang, Mbappe/Benzema, or Diego Costa to fill the scoring void. We dont necessarily need a Coutinho-type playmaker given our possession style of play and a top forward would make more of an impact for us than a Mahrez or Lemar would.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

With the way the transfer market is at the moment, one may assume that prices will only get higher after next years World Cup...
Having seeing 70M rejected for a player that is unproven in the PL, is it not feasible for us to go for... Dele Alli?

The player almost and possibly should have joined us and who wanted to join us. Sign this one player and then go back into the market for VVD (or someone else) next year.

Test the resolve of the Spuds with a 110M bid - This would pretty much pay for their new stadium, so it's not as ludicrous as it appears.
In a dream world we would have arguably the best upcoming midfielder in the world, proven in the PL.
Give our current defence + Robertson one more season together and see how the lands lies?
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

We are going to lose Phil to Barca sooner or later and had our own transfer plans worked out it could have paved the way for them to accept that bid. I don't think they would try that now seeing as we bought nothing but he is going to make that move unless the club can convince him not to. Making him Captain and by signing better players would be a start and might convince the lad he can actually win something here.

maguskwt wrote:Heck id Keita is worth 70 million pounds, Couts is easily worth 120 million pounds...

That is crazy money for Keita but it is inflated because they are under no pressure to sell. Typically you expect goal scorers to command the highest fees but this year it seems to be just flat out ridiculous with the prices being touted for average players like gylfi Siggurdson  :nod For £50 mil  :down: I suspect that a lot of that has now got to do with the amount of money the clubs in the prem are earning so therefore the more they get the more transfers cost.

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:To be fair to FSG they've already sanctioned a club record fee for Salah yet they are prepared to fork out a further £140m on Keita and Van Dijk. It's been a good while since we've had owners who are willing to back the manager to that extent.

Yakka they are a disaster and always have been. This summer is no different than any other and one that they certainly deserve no praise for. The Van Dijk situation is a complete farce totally of our own making from start to finish. We apparently spent a year chasing this lad and somehow conveniently forgot to notify his club about it. Tapping up is common but not to that extent. A bid never happened either so on top of no contact you have to wonder just how serious we really were.
Keita again is another player we coveted for a year and can't get it over the line. yes we made a hell of a bid but one I think we knew would be rejected before we made it.
They have broken the clubs transfer record several times during their ownership but that is still under 40 mil which isn't a lot by todays standards. They should be given credit for what they achieve because all the rest is spade in the ground stuff. This summer should have been about them delivering but so far they are making a balls of it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Van Dike on strike

Southampton Echo reporting he has been ordered to train alone after saying he wants to leave

about time

BBC all over it now http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40682751
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 pm

If Barcelona want Couthino then £50m plus Rakitic or Turan do a deal then buy Keita and VVD.

Be a team then a better team imo, not that easy though,well not for us  :D
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:21 pm

parchpea » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:52 pm wrote:If Barcelona want Couthino then £50m plus Rakitic or Turan do a deal then buy Keita and VVD.

Be a team then a better team imo, not that easy though,well not for us  :D

Not sure about that mate, Turan is 30 and Rakitic 29, besides If Barcelona want a part ex then they can give us Neymar, I don't see why they should continually get our best players whilst we are expected to accept their cast offs.
If they want Coutinho they are going to have to pay top dollar for him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 pm

C-R » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:08 pm wrote:Van Dike on strike

Southampton Echo reporting he has been ordered to train alone after saying he wants to leave

about time

Not a fan of players doing that but he obviously feels that the situation has come to an impasse and he needs to do something drastic. Van Dijk is 26 and probably feels that if he doesn't make a move to a CL club soon he might not never will.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:34 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:35 pm wrote:We are going to lose Phil to Barca sooner or later and had our own transfer plans worked out it could have paved the way for them to accept that bid. I don't think they would try that now seeing as we bought nothing but he is going to make that move unless the club can convince him not to. Making him Captain and by signing better players would be a start and might convince the lad he can actually win something here.

maguskwt wrote:Heck id Keita is worth 70 million pounds, Couts is easily worth 120 million pounds...

That is crazy money for Keita but it is inflated because they are under no pressure to sell. Typically you expect goal scorers to command the highest fees but this year it seems to be just flat out ridiculous with the prices being touted for average players like gylfi Siggurdson  :nod For £50 mil  :down: I suspect that a lot of that has now got to do with the amount of money the clubs in the prem are earning so therefore the more they get the more transfers cost.

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:To be fair to FSG they've already sanctioned a club record fee for Salah yet they are prepared to fork out a further £140m on Keita and Van Dijk. It's been a good while since we've had owners who are willing to back the manager to that extent.

Yakka they are a disaster and always have been. This summer is no different than any other and one that they certainly deserve no praise for. The Van Dijk situation is a complete farce totally of our own making from start to finish. We apparently spent a year chasing this lad and somehow conveniently forgot to notify his club about it. Tapping up is common but not to that extent. A bid never happened either so on top of no contact you have to wonder just how serious we really were.
Keita again is another player we coveted for a year and can't get it over the line. yes we made a hell of a bid but one I think we knew would be rejected before we made it.
They have broken the clubs transfer record several times during their ownership but that is still under 40 mil which isn't a lot by todays standards. They should be given credit for what they achieve because all the rest is spade in the ground stuff. This summer should have been about them delivering but so far they are making a balls of it.

Point taken mate, you are right, I should really reserve my praise until the likes of Keita and Van Dijk have signed on the dotted line but I do sense that things are starting to finally happen now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm

C-R » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:08 pm wrote:Van Dike on strike

about time

Only a matter of time now.

Although echo what others have said about this being a disappointing end to the saga. How would we feel is Couthino did this over Barca?   :no
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Tbh we've had players forcing moves in the past ourselves. Mascha, Torres, Suarez all found a way to force a move, even Sterling was forcing a move to City. It happens to every team so we have to take advantage when we can and make sure it benefits us.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 pm wrote:Tbh we've had players forcing moves in the past ourselves. Mascha, Torres, Suarez all found a way to force a move, even Sterling was forcing a move to City. It happens to every team so we have to take advantage when we can and make sure it benefits us.

And for us all not moan when it does?  :Oo:
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 pm

I think it's an overall sad situation re: VVD. Soton supporters are spewing all sorts of hate, and the club itself has thrown out toys in a miserable fit earlier in the summer. The hypocrisy is astounding, considering their own role in tapping up VVD from Celtic in the first place. 

I just generally don't get the hate. I never felt aggrieved by Suarez or Masch when they wanted to leave for Barca. I mean, it's just reasonable to expect the best players to want to play with a better team than we were at the time. I'm not saying we're Barca but we are, quite clearly, much above Soton in quality and aspirations and we're offering good money to sign VVD as well!
kartiek

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill