Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:48 pm wrote:A deal in principle was agreed with Aston Villa earlier in the week, like I said at the time. The only things that needed to be sorted were around how the fee was going to be paid (instalments/add-ons), whether a certain player (I don’t know who) was going to go to Villa as part of the deal and how much he was worth, and whether Benteke would get paid his full loyalty bonus by Aston Villa. Seems as though everything has now been sorted and as I said he will be training with us next week.

I'm guessing it's Lambert, as they bid for him 6 months ago and he was close to joining then. Pity we can't get them to take Borini too...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:58 pm

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm

No doubting his scoring record at Villa. 42 in 88 is fantastic. However he seems to be one of these guys that hits a purple patch and is unstoppable followed by a barren run where he can't seem to hit a barn door. One of those strikers that looks a world beater in one game and leave you in awe and also look wretched in another and have you pulling out your hair as can be seen here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENirizXC6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lLmq-yG2KU

Definitely a confidence player
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 pm

I hope he shines and proves his worth. If he flops then in sure it will result in BR depature.
Similar happened to the King when we snapped Carroll for ridulous cash.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Also i guess this means no funds for reus...
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Benteke will do much better than Carroll. He will score goals but have a nagging feeling he is going to frustrate just as much. Talk of Reus was just a pipe dream, reached a level where he is out of our grasp
Doeboy

Postby only me » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Stupid biz 32m for a relegation level team player is really bad biz.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 pm

We need to be realistic about who we can attract these days. Obviously the likes of Benzema, Reus, Cavani, Depay etc weren't interested. No CL and we don't pay top dollar in wages compared to the top CL clubs either.

We couldn't attract Sanchez when we were in CL and his club were desperate to sign Suarez FFS.

Benteke is obviously the best we can attract at the moment.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:21 pm

We did alright attracting firminho here...
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:10 am

At the end of the day he is slightly improved version of Heskey in his prime, a target man that can score.

He does blow hot and cold, but can at least go on scoring runs where he racks up goals consecutively in games.

Has a lot of power in his shooting and he is definitely a threat in the air from corners and set pieces, but that's about it.

We should all shut the f**k about City and taking the ***** with Sterling, because paying 32m for Benteke is even more embarrassing.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby eds » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:11 am

At the end of the day he is slightly improved version of Heskey in his prime, a target man that can score.

He does blow hot and cold, but can at least go on scoring runs where he racks up goals consecutively in games.

Has a lot of power in his shooting and he is definitely a threat in the air from corners and set pieces, but that's about it.

We should all shut the f**k about City and taking the ***** with Sterling, because paying 32m for Benteke is even more embarrassing.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Redtribe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:09 am

I'm fuming, I mean fancy buying a striker that scores every other game. The end is nigh!!!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:09 am

:laugh:  The way the plums on here go on about it you'd think we're signing Sean Dundee for a return.

What do we need the most? Goals.

1. 49 goals in 101 appearances, 12 in his last 12 games for a ***** team.
2. He's proven in the Prem.
3. stick Courtinho, Firminho, Can, Henderson etc etc behind him and lets see what happens.

and there's no saying we won't go and buy yet another striker. It's highly possible.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Soupyzrx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 am

You know what? I'm relatively optimistic about this signing. He's a proven Premier League goal-scorer and as Leeroy said, that's what we need.
Obviously, I'd love us to be signing Messi, Neymar, Pele, Rivelino, Zidane, Beckenbauer and God, but as we know, we're not a big draw for the real top players, so maybe Benteke is as good as we can hope for at present. There were rumours that ManUre were sniffing around him, so at least we didn't buy a player that absolutely no-one else was interested in (as if we'd ever do that........ ahem).
And yeah, the fee is way over the odds, but ultimately it doesn't come out of my pocket, and if there's no-one else out there available to us who would want to come to us, then it's better to get someone in who knows where the goal is, isn't it? Well, let's be optimistic and see what happens.
Also, we collected a daft amount of money when Pounds Sterling abandoned ship, so what goes around, comes around, y'know?
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:48 am

spot on soupman
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill