Liverpool win race for milner

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:11 am

No comment.

Liverpool win race to sign James Milner
By James Nursey  12/06/2008

Rafa Benitez is set to inflict more misery on Aston Villa by beating them to Newcastle star James Milner, as Liverpool also close in on Gareth Barry.

Boss Benitez and Anfield chief executive Rick Parry have made contact with the Magpies to offer Jermaine Pennant in part-exchange for Milner.And the clubs are now haggling over how much cash Liverpool must also pay for £7million-rated Milner, who penned a new four-year contract last July.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley wants to raise funds for new players and trim the the club's wage bill while ambitious Milner is keen for European football to boost his England ambitions.

The winger's likely move to Merseyside is another huge blow for Villa manager Martin O'Neill, who tried to sign Milner in August 2006 and wants him this summer.

O'Neill has already been fighting a losing and increasingly tense battle to keep Villa's inspirational captain Barry out of the Reds' clutches.

But Villa are resigned to the versatile 27-year-old midfielder quitting after he told O'Neill this month he wanted to move to Anfield.

Parry is putting the finishing touches to a third cash bid of £15m, with £3m in add-ons, for Barry which Liverpool hope will finally ensure they get permission to speak to the ace.

Villa are holding out for £20m but Barry, who has 20 England caps, is on standby to open talks with the Anfield giants after returning from holiday and a compromise is set to be thrashed out.

Liverpool are also hopeful of securing the arrival of Newcastle's 22-year-old former Leeds trainee Milner using fellow winger Pennant as bait.

Pennant, 25, is surplus to requirements after failing to make a sustained impact since a £6.7m move from Birmingham in July 2006 and was originally offered to Villa in the Reds' first £10m bid for Barry.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport....0604040
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:15 am

Oh for fcuks sake

Taxi

Rafa  :glare:
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 am

Rafa doesnt like flairy midfielders does he, just grafters. :(
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:29 am

Bamaga man wrote:Rafa doesnt like flairy midfielders does he, just grafters. :(

The only conclusion that can be drawn by signing over rated english players is that the 6 + 5 rule is deffo coming in next season and Milner will cost 30 million  :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 am

Not exactly the player I was hoping for, but I think he will be an improvement on Pennant. If the rumours about transfers have any foundation, I think we are being raped in the transfer market this year. Riise - £3million! ffs......... I know he had a bad season but he is worth much more than that.

Unfortunately clubs know we have to offload players and are taking advantage.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:34 am

I thought Fifa couldnt impose that 6+5 rule because of EU rights and all that jargen.

Still if thats the case its gonna make the league very bland.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:36 am

I think we are being raped in the transfer market this year

Yep it appears that way S@int, it always seems that way come to think of it. Why is that ?
66-1112520797

Postby NJD83 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:39 am

Not much of an improvement on Pennant I feel, he does work hard but everytime I have seen him his final ball is shocking!!!!!! But you never know he may well shine with better players around him.

As for this Barry situation, I felt that he may be a good buy for us when £10m was being spoken about, but now £15m plus add ons?? bit steep for a player we don't actually need that badley.
NJD83

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:50 am

Bamaga man wrote:
I think we are being raped in the transfer market this year

Yep it appears that way S@int, it always seems that way come to think of it. Why is that ?

Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb.....

Everyone knows we're strapped for cash coz of these two idiots and we need to seel before we can strengthen the areas in need. Hence they'll all drive a hard bargain. Same on the buying front..... they know where we need re-inforcements and hence the prices miraculously goes up.
ConnO'var

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:54 am

quite interesting this one... I don't know what the fuss is about on here... milner is a very promising youngster... I like him alot... I think he will be an improvement over pennant... if his overall play is not yet as good as pennant, his attitude is miles ahead of pennant... of course it won't match quaresma or silva transfers that everyone is hoping for... but realistically this is quite a good buy if it happens...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 am

I think Milners ok and thats not beacuse hes decent on footy manager either. He had a bad season just gone but hes much better than Pennant imo. Him and Barry should make good additions to the squad.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:11 am

just to cause arguments I gonna say that I dont think that's ANY improvement on our first 11 and IMO i dont think he's any real improvement on Pennant - I dont think he'll make that much of a difference at all. Yes he might have a slightly better work ethic on the field than pennant, but in terms of footballing ability he's roughly the same.

When people get into the team in fits and starts they lose their continutity. Neither pennant or milner is gonna start ahead of babel or kuyt in this formation and I think Milners form will suffer for that. And as a consequence I dont think he'll be as good  this season as last season.

Interesting reading:

------
2007/08 stats: (courtesy of ESPN):

Pennant:
20 games: 2 goals: 5 assists

Milner:
25 games: 2 goals: 2 assists

2006/07 stats:

Pennant:
31 games: 1 goals: 10 assists

Milner:
31 games: 3 goals: 8 assists
---------

IMO this is like-for-like in terms of taking us up a level, and I dont see any point in this transfer unless Pennant has handed in a transfer request.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:11 am

**** sorry... meant to quote Maguskwt but made a mistake ****

Disagree mate.....

The right wing position is one where we need strengthening badly and while I agree that James has the potential, build and attitude to be a better proposition than Pennant..... he's not quite what we're looking for now.... maybe in a few more years and even then its a MAYBE at best. We bought Pennant for 6.7 million and now offload him to Newcastle and still have to top up some quid for the priveledge to be rid and bringing in improved quality but not by a whole lot.

Not bad business but certainly not good either.
ConnO'var

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:13 am

Redman in wales wrote:I dont see any point in this transfer unless Pennant has handed in a transfer request.

Pennants going because he's been a naughty boy selling complimentary tickets.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:15 am

I think he has more ability than Pennant and should do well for us.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill