Liverpool win race for milner

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:35 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:Oh great, why don't we just sign Downing as well.

:idea
112-1077774096

Postby club_Levis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 am

' Why the hell would we pay around £25m for Milner and Barry when we could get Villa for little more? God help us all...
club_Levis

Postby maximus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:41 am

Sorry, but I didn't realise there was a 'race' to sign Milner  ??? I suppose you are bound to win when you are the only one in it !!
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 am

Has he actualy signed
If he has its deffo got to be this new rule coming in. Hes not an improvement on Pennent and thats what worries me. But never mind weve still got Kuyt to play that position. (goes an hides)
I will give Raffa some credit and see how it pans out cause at the mo it looks like thats all were dealing with :censored: credit notes.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:46 am

ConnO'var wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
I think we are being raped in the transfer market this year

Yep it appears that way S@int, it always seems that way come to think of it. Why is that ?

Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb.....

Everyone knows we're strapped for cash coz of these two idiots and we need to seel before we can strengthen the areas in need. Hence they'll all drive a hard bargain. Same on the buying front..... they know where we need re-inforcements and hence the prices miraculously goes up.

While that maybe a factor at moment,however long before they arrived. We always seemed to get screwed over in transfers both coming and going out. Thats impression I always  have had since 80s when Laudrup spurned us for Juve.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 am

bigmick wrote:English players have obvious advantages in that they are used to our league, they tend to turn up and not mind overly if it's a bit cold or if somebody kicks them up in the air, and much more significantly they aren't currently trying to win Euro 2008.

A couple of seasons ago Mick, a lot of people on here were crying out for Rafa to buy some English based players with Premiership experience, rather than foreign players.  Rafa duly delivered and brought in Pennant and Bellamy.  Did they turn out to be good players?

Where you have played your football makes little difference imo. Bellamy had bags of Premiership experience and didn't succeed here.  Torres had zero Premiership experience and did.  The reason being that Torres has a lot more quality.

Players will do well if they are quality and if they can hack the pace of the Premiership (unlike Morientes).  I personally think Barry will be a good signing, although I am not happy with the way we are being held to ransom over him.  He is a quality player.  I do not rate Milner as a quality player.  He is a young lad who can be good on his day but is never going to be top drawer and won't improve our starting 11.  If he is not going to improve our 1st 11 then we'd have been better spending the money on that Ramsey kid from Cardiff who may be an even better prospect.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 am

Can't see the benefit of this whatsoever.

I personally would keep Pennant who has been faultless with his attitude over the course of the season. Milner is a decent player and would be a good backup for the wing but Pennant can already do that job.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:10 am

stmichael wrote:I personally would keep Pennant who has been faultless with his attitude over the course of the season.

Faultless?  Remember Porto away St Mike, the pathetic red card?  Remember the countless stupid free kicks he has given away this season through sheer petulence?

He may have kept his mouth shut off the pitch this season, but his attitude on it is far from faultless.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:11 am

No need to get carried away,its still only a rumour at this stage!

Anyway I'd be happy if he came as a straight swap for Pennant.Better player,better attitude!
James Milner is 22 years old and has a lot of promise.He is a very good player already and is nowhere near his prime.Seems Rafa is after versatility this term with wanting barry and now Milner,both can play well in 2 or 3 positions.

What no one has mentioned yet is that Milner has two great feet.His left is probably as good as his right and vice versa!
The way im looking at this signing(if it comes off) is that i never wanted Pennant at the club,so i would be delighted if Milner came and Pennant went.We will have a stronger squad for it.
Also i doubt if he comes he will cement a starting place every game.He will more likely be a squad player and used as a sub mostly at the start anyway.He would be great to bring off the bench in a tough game where we are finding it hard to penetrate a stubborn defence!
Who are we to say that in time he may develop into a great player and a regular starter!

I dont understand all the negativity in this thread and can only assume that a lot are going with the general feeling and judging a player they have seen little of and know little or nothing about!

Put it this way id rather welcome Milner to LFC than Reira.
Big Micks right as well(for once)he he! If his name was Sergio Alberto or something and he was coming from Madrid you would all be pulling the fronts of yerselves! :laugh:

For Pennant?Yes please every day of the week!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:20 am

Milner is a good decent Premiership player. He's tough, a good athlete and has got a great attitude. His playing style would remind me slightly of Lee Sharpe in Sharpe's early years (although that's where the resemblance ends, Sharpe is/was a :censored:) and I think he may become quite an effective footballer by the time he reaches his mid twenties.

However, he is not and probably never will be Premiership top four class. He is a modern day Jason Wilcox who would do an extremely good job at Villa or Everton but he won't help us challenge (let alone win) the Premiership.

He's a handy player and I like him, if I was a fan of, lets say, Everton, I would be excited by my club being linked with him, but our rivals are spending £15million + on wingers these days and Milner is not going to help us reach the next level.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:24 am

JBG wrote:Milner is a good decent Premiership player. He's tough, a good athlete and has got a great attitude. His playing style would remind me slightly of Lee Sharpe in Sharpe's early years (although that's where the resemblance ends, Sharpe is/was a :censored:) and I think he may become quite an effective footballer by the time he reaches his mid twenties.

However, he is not and probably never will be Premiership top four class. He is a modern day Jason Wilcox who would do an extremely good job at Villa or Everton but he won't help us challenge (let alone win) the Premiership.

He's a handy player and I like him, if I was a fan of, lets say, Everton, I would be excited by my club being linked with him, but our rivals are spending £15million + on wingers these days and Milner is not going to help us reach the next level.

completely agree. He is not top 4 material. even as back-up, you have to ask is it worth the extra cost or should we just keep pennant, who scores roughly the same amount of goals per season and averages more assists.

yes he's young and has a better temperament, but is thhi really where we wanna go?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am

s@int wrote:Not exactly the player I was hoping for, but I think he will be an improvement on Pennant. If the rumours about transfers have any foundation, I think we are being raped in the transfer market this year. Riise - £3million! ffs......... I know he had a bad season but he is worth much more than that.

Unfortunately clubs know we have to offload players and are taking advantage.

Another player in the mid-range price bracked, Milner's ok but as a top club we should be looking for a bit more quality.

Maybe Rafa's worrying too much about this 6+5 business, if so perhaps he should have bought Warnock back and gone for Bentley/Defoe
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:51 am

Still just a rumour so the topic has been relocated.  That said, I think it will be interesting to see what happens if this deal goes through.  Is Milner world class?  Not even close, but he's got talent and has the attitude that Rafa loves.  He might be just what we need when facing bottom-half teams away in the dead of winter.  I'd like us to be buying in the top bracket of world footballing talent too but that's apparently well beyond our means at the moment.  As Barry's said, I'd take Milner ahead of Rieira--or whatever other decent-but-not-great-foreign-winger is available at this point.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:14 pm

I definately feel people are underrating him tbh, he imo is a definate improvement on Pennant, who has been a real let down, i think he is sort of between Kuyt and Pennant as to what type of player he is, he works hard, not as hard as Kuyt but who can, and he is quite skillful with not bad pace, not as quick as Pennant, but like Barry said he is two footed and thats an advantage.
With better players around him i think he has the ability to step up.
Its obviously frustrating seeing the other clubs linked with top top world class players and us being in this sort of situation but thats were we are for now.
He will improve the team imo, even if its not massively.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm

How much better than Pennant is he? And Pennant isn't that bad, only in a red shirt it seems! We want quality signings, not players at midtable Premiership clubs where the price is always ridiculous and you rarely get a bargain. Clubs see a big club coming and rub their hands with glee, would we have got Defoe for what a'rry paid for him? I doubt it. That's why it's better to either go for a proper world class player or shop abroad, regardless what some think of the state of England (6+5 and all that) The reason is stupid pricing and a lack of value for money, money is the root cause of the problems. If they want to see what will happen they need only look at the Barny situation, some norn oirish idiot asking £20m for a player on the grounds of other transfers and him playing for England (now).
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill