Liverpool win race for milner

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:15 am

Ciggy wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:I dont see any point in this transfer unless Pennant has handed in a transfer request.

Pennants going because he's been a naughty boy selling complimentary tickets.

Really?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:19 am

Ciggy wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:I dont see any point in this transfer unless Pennant has handed in a transfer request.

well if pennants going anyway and we need to find a replacement, then thats different. as i said in my first post in here, its like-for-like imo, so if pennant has to go, then milner would be an okay replacement. (though david silva would have been better, but I suppose we can't afford players like that)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 am

he is 22 (and a half) and has already played in well over 200 competitive first team games, more than you can say for all of our players under than age put together. And all of it came in England and most of it in the prem. Certainly not a sexy signing, and I doubt he is better than Bently, but I am guessing we were priced out of getting him.
JoeTerp

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 am

Redman in wales wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

well if pennants going anyway and we need to find a replacement, then thats different. as i said in my first post in here, its like-for-like imo, so if pennant has to go, then milner would be an okay replacement. (though david silva would have been better, but I suppose we can't afford players like that)

Maybe before the Euros if we were quick enough but not now we cant. Anyway I think Milner will be a better buy for us although for a few Mil more we might have been able to get SWP.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:30 am

:D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 am

I thought we were in for Bently too but I guess he would cost too much. At the end of the day we cant afford to back ourselves into a bad spot with the  6+5 thing should that come into force as if we failed to quality for Europe one season I would imagine the financial implications wouldnt be good.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:54 am

If he was signed as a squad player then fair enough but if he was signed as a first teamer and is going to take the number 7 jersey then.....meh
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 am

Dundalk wrote:If he was signed as a squad player then fair enough but if he was signed as a first teamer and is going to take the number 7 jersey then.....meh

Spot on.
JamCar05

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:57 am

Dundalk wrote:If he was signed as a squad player then fair enough but if he was signed as a first teamer and is going to take the number 7 jersey then.....meh

Hopefully that's reserved for someones of David Villa's ability...

Btw... anyone know if this is a done deal?... nothing on .tv just yet.
ConnO'var

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am

Milner in for Pennant? Barry in for Alonso? Is this improving our squad?  :no
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:14 am

Milner for Pennant?  Similar quality imo, with Milner having the better workrate and temperament.  Still, there are much better options on the market than Milner.  What can Milner do on the right wing that Dirk Kuyt can't do when he's played there?  Nothing.  This doesn't improve our first 11 at all.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:23 am

Once again I kind of get the feeling that we are guilty of perhaps not giving the manager the credit and the leeway he deserves. It's kind of funny really that I spend all season arguing with "in Rafa we trust"ers but then it seems that they only trust in the manager if he goes ahead and signs glamourous foreign players which they have suggested (not having a pop at all but you know what I mean). Milner is a decent player who has yet to play in a really good team with really good players, much like Barry in that respect (although the Villa man has briefly tasted it with International football and has done pretty well TBH).

Now the manager has done pretty well with his major signings, and I for one am happy to bet that both Milner and Barry will be better than we are all thinking. English players have obvious advantages in that they are used to our league, they tend to turn up and not mind overly if it's a bit cold or if somebody kicks them up in the air, and much more significantly they aren't currently trying to win Euro 2008.

The combined fees for Milner and Barry are a huge outlay, and as many have pointed out Rafa could have gone overseas and bought different players. He hasn't, and on this occasion at least, I trust him. Milner is definately a better bet than Pennant anyway, who I know from first hand knowledge is an out and out c..., regardless of how good he is at playing football.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:29 am

I spend all season arguing with "in Rafa we trust"ers but then it seems that they only trust in the manager if he goes ahead and signs glamourous foreign players which they have suggested

Pennant anyway, who I know from first hand knowledge is an out and out c..., regardless of how good he is at playing football.

spill the beans mick   :angry:

Last edited by 112-1077774096 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:30 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again I kind of get the feeling that we are guilty of perhaps not giving the manager the credit and the leeway he deserves

:laugh:

After you were critising him yesterday regarding our transfers in and out and how it appears hes handled them, thats a bit rich coming from you.
66-1112520797

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:32 am

Oh great, why don't we just sign Downing as well.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill