Bayern want rafa

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ciggy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:28 am

Bayern’s show of interest leaves Rafael Benitez holding stronger hand

Oliver Kay

Rafael BenÍtez, the Liverpool manager, is attracting interest from Bayern Munich, having been identified as the coach to restore the German club to their former glories.

It is unlikely that the Spaniard could be persuaded to leave Anfield to move to Germany, but Bayern are determined to recruit a top-class coach next summer and would be prepared to make him a substantial offer, as well as give him considerable support in the transfer market.

Bayern’s interest stems from their desire to find a long-term successor to the vastly experienced Ottmar Hitzfeld, whose second spell in charge is likely to end when his contract expires at the end of the season.

They believe that BenÍtez, who led Liverpool to Champions League success in his first season at Anfield, would represent an ideal appointment, but Bayern are also likely to consider José Mourinho, the former Chelsea manager, for any vacancy at the Allianz Arena.

Liverpool, while aware of rumours of Bayern’s interest, remain calm about BenÍtez’s plans, aware that he has two years left on his contract and that the Spaniard – having considered his future on a couple of occasions in the past two years - is settled, both in the job and domestically on Merseyside.

BenÍtez, though, would not shy away from using any interest in him to strengthen his position at Anfield, particularly in terms of securing funding from George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks, the club’s American owners, to sign new players.

He is eager to make at least two high-profile signings during the January transfer window – a centre half, such as Ezequiel Marcelo Garay, of Racing Santander, and a striker. The need for a new centre forward is all the greater given his eagerness to offload Peter Crouch, who has fallen dramatically down the pecking order.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:33 am

gotta be for the rumours section, or we need a new section for things that will never happen :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:59 am

He wont leave, not just yet anyhow.
66-1112520797

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:48 am

If and when Rafa does ever leave us in my opinion it wont be for another club it will be to go back to Spain to manage there national team.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:52 am

NANNY RED wrote:If and when Rafa does ever leave us in my opinion it wont be for another club it will be to go back to Spain to manage there national team.

I doubt it...rotation at international level ? He would get even more flak

:D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:04 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:If and when Rafa does ever leave us in my opinion it wont be for another club it will be to go back to Spain to manage there national team.

I doubt it...rotation at international level ? He would get even more flak

LOL point taken but wouldnt he be in his glory can you imagine his team selection he would be able to rotate Spanish players from all over the world.
This game ill have the Liverpool boys playin, next game ill some of have the boys from Italy it could go on and on.

But i honestly think than when he leaves Liverpool thats were he will end up
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:06 am

I'm confident that Rafa wants to be here when our new stadium opens. He and his family love the club and seem to enjoy life on merseyside. Provided the team continues to win things I don't see Rafa leaving us to manage another club, what would be the point ? He's already at the best in terms of support, finance and future. I think Nanny Red probably right with the observation that only becoming Spains national coach could tempt him away , but I don't think even that is something Rafa would want for at least another five years if ever.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:13 am

I would doubt Rafa will go to Bayern, big club that they are the Premiership is a bigger league and Liverpool a bigger club. Even if some of us have our doubts, I'm not doubting RAFA thinks he is doing a great job so why would he leave now?

Bayern Honours

European Cup Winners : 4
German League Champions : 20

UEFA Cup Winners Cup : 1
UEFA Cup : 1
Intercontinental Cup : 2
German Super Cup : 3
German Cup : 13
German League Cup : 6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayern_Munich

Ok Germany may not be as uncompetitive as SPL say, but that's less impressive than Liverpool's record. Next biggest winner is only on 10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_football_champions
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:22 am

Cant you tell its the international break weve got nothing better to talk about
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:29 pm

I really can't see Rafa or even Mourinho being tempted by the Bayern job, German football has slipped down from its position in the " big 4 "leagues , leaving Italy, Spain and England as the new big three.
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Bayern target Benitez reaffirms commitment to Liverpool
Last updated at 12:12pm on 17th November 2007

Manager Rafa Benitez has reaffirmed his commitment to Liverpool amid reports he has been sounded out by Bayern Munich about replacing under-pressure Ottmar Hitzfeld as manager.

The Spaniard has been made the No1 target for the German giants after it became clear that, despite topping the Bundesliga, Hitzfeld was unlikely to be offered a new contract, following growing tension behind the scenes.

But Benitez told CNN International's 'World Sport' he was committed to working with the club's American owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, and revealed his future plans.

"When we started talking about the future, we were very clear, we needed to have a plan," he said.

"We have this plan and we are progressing. The situation is positive in terms of things we wanted to do and what we are doing.

"When I signed the team wasn't winning much. They said to me try to win trophies in the future.

"To play seven finals and win four trophies I think is not bad in three years. So we need to see what happens this year, but we have confidence we can do it.

"We know that we are a top side, we play against a lot of teams that have power, money, and experience.

"Our vision is to be successful, have a new stadium, and trying to improve a little bit the structure of the club. We are going in the right direction."

I suppose that should put an end to any speculation.............till next time anyway
account deleted by request

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:10 pm

dawson99 wrote:or we need a new section for things that will never happen :D

jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:44 pm

s@int wrote:I really can't see Rafa or even Mourinho being tempted by the Bayern job, German football has slipped down from its position in the " big 4 "leagues , leaving Italy, Spain and England as the new big three.

I differ.

In the case of Rafa he has shown he's committed to Liverpool, by even rejecting an offer of his home club, Real Madrid.

But Bayern Munich has a great reputation in my country and the Bundesliga is very respected, it would be a great destination to any top coach.

I don't think Rafa will leave Liverpool unless he's sacked, he seems really comfortable here, despite top teams see something in his boring football that some local fans and pundits are unable to see.

He is eager to make at least two high-profile signings during the January transfer window – a centre half, such as Ezequiel Marcelo Garay, of Racing Santander, and a striker. The need for a new centre forward is all the greater given his eagerness to offload Peter Crouch, who has fallen dramatically down the pecking order.

Garay from Racing?  :O Well, kind the player you see him in Santander and say "good player", but Liverpool is a very big leap...
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Sabre wrote:Garay from Racing?  :O Well, kind the player you see him in Santander and say "good player", but Liverpool is a very big leap...

Reports suggest we are willing to pay 10 million for him Sabre  :Oo:

Is he any good like?

Ive never heard of him.

Oh and p.s. Rafa's going no where. :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:20 pm

Not a surprise you don't know him Lynds, he only came to Spain yesteryear when he was 19.

Racing Santander managed to "steal" the player on front of the eyes of Pasarella who wanted him from River plate.

When I saw him yesteryear in Anoeta, it was early in the season and I was pretty unaware of the transfer movements of Racing. I did like the number "4" player and saw his name was Garay, I thought he was a youth player of Racing or something, he was unknown.

He seemed to me to have a big composture, calmness when he's pressed, but let's be honest here Lynds, my local team did not put him under a great pressure that match  :D

He's tall. And he scored that day a goal in a corner. Our defence of corners is shíte, but that goal was not an accident, because he scored similar goals in set pieces situations against Getafe and Almeria as far as I can remember, so that's one of his strenghts. Let me look his exact height, 1.89 m, that in scouse measures is 6.20079 feet :D, interesting height for a CB.

THe little I've seen of him I liked him. He has certainly the attributes to be the future susbtitution of Hyypia. But with money in the pockets, I'd preffer a more experienced CB, a tested one, a Cannavaro or a Heinze.

Racing Santander is an easy target. They need the money. He can come for less than 5M pounds, but that's if other teams do not look at him, and I've just read in Marca the bloody Mancs want him aswell. Fortunately for us, Manchester United can't compete in terms of reputation with us, and there's a bunch of spanish speaking guys in our team.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill