Aimar requests to leave valencia

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:37 pm

If Aimar was to arrive it could mean the return of the 4-2-3-1 as the main system. I don’t think there is a midfield role for him in our team. This season we have often played with 2 strikers, one of them being the second deeper striker, I think Aimar would be perfect for this, it would mean that we would only need to go out and buy one proper out and out striker that can play back to goal and is still fairly dynamic, but this would be a kick in the teeth for Garcia. Just imagine hypothetically though:

Reina

Finnan Hyypia Carragher Riise

Gerrard Alonso Sissoko Kewell

Aimar
                     Crouch/or new striker

Would we have to change our style of play that much? I think not, I think he would bring that much needed incisive play just outside of the box. In theory we could bring him as 1 our 2 strikers and still have the option of playing a 4-4-2 with 2 out and out strikers from Crouch, Fowler and the new man. Plus it would give us the versatility of playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 effectively, I don’t think it would mean such a big adjustment to our system or style, I think he could provide an interesting option and an incisive edge to our play, but the big question is, what about Garcia?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:27 pm

Cool Hand Luke the only problem I see with the formation you proposed is I can't see Crouch getting the 25 - 30 goals required (maybe Kuyt could?) as Aimar is not a prolific scorer (about 5 or 6 usually) or maybe Gonzalez can make up the rest. I think Benitez would still keep Garcia as an impact player as he was for most of this season. Isee it more as horses for courses Momo against the more physical sides ,Aimar when we need his extra craft.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 pm

Saint I sort of agree and disagree. I don't think Aimar is a credible replacement for Kewell on the left, though I would accept that his best position is "in the hole". Here I agree with you though and differ from Luke. I don't see the Crouchinho/Aimar partnership scoring anywhere near enough goals. If we say signed Van Nistelroy and played him as the focal point of the attack then it might work, but crouchie doesn't score enough goals to have a creator alongside him in my view.
BTW mate please don't overestimate my opinions, they are purely guesses same as everyone else. Disagree all you want, if I knew that much I wouldn't be running a Pub for a living.
  :D :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:41 pm

bigmick so thats not your real picture on your banner then? I thought you were Rafa using a nom de plume. :D
I wish I hadn't used my real photo on my banner now!

Postby lovebetis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:48 pm

I,sincerily, don´t think that Aimar goes out of Valencia.I think that he´s good here and he plays enough.
And the newspapers don´t talk about Aimar goes out! I already tell you!
Real Betis: I always will be with you
lovebetis

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:08 pm

lovebetis you are probably right but our papers are talking about Aimar leaving Valencia and until we actually sign someone we might as well argue over the rumours. :)

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:40 pm

I'm sorry but some people are talking about Aimar here as if he is Ronaldinho or something.  Aimar WAS a really exciting talent about 3 years ago, but the truth is it has been a couple of seasons since he's shown that form on a consistent basis, obviously that's why Valencia are reportedly willing to listen to offers of 5 million for him.  If he were as good as people like s@int are suggesting then Chelsea would be buying him for 35 million.

The second point is his end product.  He has scored less than half a dozen goals in each of the last couple of seasons and for all his ability to open up defences with his passing, he doesn't show it enough.  Look up the thread 'garcia v Aimar' or something like that where I dug up and compared Aimar and Garcia's statistics over recent seasons and while goalscoring doesn't tell the whole story, Garcia's a far bigger goal threat then Aimar.  Give me Garcia over Aimar any day in the Premiership - Garcia has adapted very well to our league whereas Aimar could well struggle considering he's about 4'8'' or something (slight exaggeration).

Have to go with Mick on this one.  For me it's stick to the 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the right, Momo and Alonso in the middle and find at least one, if not two quality strikers.  Get a back-up right mid such as Pennant and we're set.

Let's be realistic here, there's no time for fiddling about with our entire system to try and accomodate someone like Aimar, when our system has served us very well over the season and just needs a striker or 2 to convert all the chances we carve out.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:16 pm

john craig I was trying to be realistic, if we had the money chelsea have I would be creaming my drawers over rumours of Ronaldinho not Aimar. Aimar is a class player that we could possibly get for a reasonable price, who in my opinion could do a great job in an area in which I feel we are lacking. We have powerfull runners who are great passers of the ball but sometimes we lack a little imagination or invention to break teams down. This is were I think Aimar could prove useful. No he is not Ronaldinho but he is a realistic target and in my opinion would provide great service to the right striker. The only real problem with Aimar is he doesnt score enough goals(which I had already said) which means you need a prolific striker ie Kuyt or big micks preference Van Nistelroy or equivalent. I dont see him playing every game, but then again I dont expect Crouch or Garcia will play every game as hopefully we will buy a quality striker to offer other options.As for why Chelsea havent gone for him, they fish in different ponds to us these days i.e. Michels(sp) Obi £16million for a promising player? At £16million Aimar would probably not be worth a gamble, at £5million its not even a gamble!

Postby Scouser4life » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:55 am

with the times as the source then i say come on rafa get ur man
ALL ROUND THE FIELDS OF ANFIELD ROAD!!!!!!
Scouser4life

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:19 am

Well assuming we should sign Aimar (As I said earlier - I very much doubt it), I don't like the look of the line-up Cool Hand Luke came up with. (No offence to you, CHL, but it just doesn't inspire me!)

I'd go with 3-5-1-1, as I think Aimar would sit behind 2 strikers:

Reina

JC               Sami           Agger

Sissoko
New RW                                                             Gonzalez
                 Gerrard                           Alonso

Aimar

New Striker

To me, this formation is insane after struggling for goals for the majority of last season. We need 2 strikers:

Reina

JC                 Sami         Agger

Alonso
New RW                                                           Gonzalez
                    Gerrard
                                                 Aimar

Crouch
                                         New striker.

Obviously Sissoko would be dropped, which is also insane.

I can't honestly see how we'd accommodate Pablo Aimar in our current team. We'd lose so much strength by playing him, and Gerrard would ultimately have to play on the right wing, where he is outstanding, but probably not happy.

Not worth it at all.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PCG77 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:28 am

why does everyone only focus only the starting 11 and not the squad as a whole.....? ???? ???? ???? ????
PCG77

Postby Paul C » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:35 pm

john craig wrote:I'm sorry but some people are talking about Aimar here as if he is Ronaldinho or something.  Aimar WAS a really exciting talent about 3 years ago, but the truth is it has been a couple of seasons since he's shown that form on a consistent basis, obviously that's why Valencia are reportedly willing to listen to offers of 5 million for him.  If he were as good as people like s@int are suggesting then Chelsea would be buying him for 35 million.

The second point is his end product.  He has scored less than half a dozen goals in each of the last couple of seasons and for all his ability to open up defences with his passing, he doesn't show it enough.  Look up the thread 'garcia v Aimar' or something like that where I dug up and compared Aimar and Garcia's statistics over recent seasons and while goalscoring doesn't tell the whole story, Garcia's a far bigger goal threat then Aimar.  Give me Garcia over Aimar any day in the Premiership - Garcia has adapted very well to our league whereas Aimar could well struggle considering he's about 4'8'' or something (slight exaggeration).

Have to go with Mick on this one.  For me it's stick to the 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the right, Momo and Alonso in the middle and find at least one, if not two quality strikers.  Get a back-up right mid such as Pennant and we're set.

Let's be realistic here, there's no time for fiddling about with our entire system to try and accomodate someone like Aimar, when our system has served us very well over the season and just needs a striker or 2 to convert all the chances we carve out.

To be honest John sometimes people become complacent when their not happy, I've worked at the same place for 8 years now and to be honest I should have left about 3 years ago but have just done the bare minimum work, I need to move on cos I'm not learning and the place I'm at is draging me down, I've got a job interview on Monday cos I've realised I've been here too long now, sounds a lot like aimar so maybe he's also seen the light  ???  :;):

Sorry about my life story there but I thought it was appropriate to the thread.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:52 pm

reina

carragher     hyypia      agger/paletta

alonso

???         gerrard    sissoko     gonzalez

aimar?

striker?

horses for courses. this might work, 'if' .....

finann would drop out, say if alves came.. on the left riise would drop, say if aurelio/gonzalez featured... 

its all spec anyway...but certain games, id love to see the above.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:42 am

PCG77 wrote:why does everyone only focus only the starting 11 and not the squad as a whole.....? ???? ???? ???? ????

Because Aimar would not want to sit on the bench.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:02 am

when rafa first came i would of said yes. Not now though, its impossible to fit him in to the plans of the team. Unless, we get him for less than we would recoup if we sold king luis. But, that wont happen either.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill