Aimar requests to leave valencia

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:15 pm

People are comparing Garcia to Aimar on what basis? They're both small and sit off the striker ? Their games are totally different!

Aimar is the key that unlocks the defence for other players, his superb passing and quick thinking has defenders aboslutely dumbfounded at times. If you want proof of this see what he did to us under Benitez.

Garcia is the man you can't mark. He drifts into spaces which give defenders and defensive midfielders the choice to either pick him up or leave him. Leave him even a second even 30 yards out and we have all seen what happens.

I don't think signing Aimar would necessarily mean the end for Garcia. Garcia has hardly been a first team regular this past season anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm

If it was for 5 million then i dont even think that is a gamble.

Not exactly major money, and if he adapted to the physical side of the league then he could be a bargain.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:45 pm

I dont think garcia is going anywhere and rafa has said as much in recent weeks with all the rumours doing the rounds about him leaving, aimar would be a steal at that price and as you say st mike aimar has the ability to unlock defence with short, quick passes so i would definately take him for 5mil because he could be use in the hole where he would be very effective. Why is he only worth 5mil though? is his contract running out or something.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:38 pm

stmichael wrote:People are comparing Garcia to Aimar on what basis? They're both small and sit off the striker ? Their games are totally different!

Aimar is the key that unlocks the defence for other players, his superb passing and quick thinking has defenders aboslutely dumbfounded at times. If you want proof of this see what he did to us under Benitez.

Garcia is the man you can't mark. He drifts into spaces which give defenders and defensive midfielders the choice to either pick him up or leave him. Leave him even a second even 30 yards out and we have all seen what happens.

I don't think signing Aimar would necessarily mean the end for Garcia. Garcia has hardly been a first team regular this past season anyway.

Agreed, Valencia played us a few seasons ago in a friendly at Anfield, it was Rafa's first game incharge of Valencia and Aimar completley ripped us to bit, he's also done it to us when we played in the CL :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:50 pm

Paul C wrote:
stmichael wrote:People are comparing Garcia to Aimar on what basis? They're both small and sit off the striker ? Their games are totally different!

Agreed, Valencia played us a few seasons ago in a friendly at Anfield, it was Rafa's first game incharge of Valencia and Aimar completley ripped us to bit, he's also done it to us when we played in the CL :;):

i was at that match, he was impressive. Im not sure if he'd be able to cope with the premiership though. But at £5m he's gotta be worth a gamble. Sometimes i think were in need of a little more creativity through the centre, i think aimar is the kind of player that can give us that. I dont see him playing in midfield though, only behind the striker, he's not very versatile.

Anyway that certainly was not benitez's first game in charge of valencia as he was there 3 seasons and the game was in aug 2003 the season before he joined us. I remember vicente scoring a cracker.
columbia

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:39 pm

columbia wrote:Im not sure if he'd be able to cope with the premiership though.

if someone like d'allessandro can cut it then i'm sure aimar could.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:07 pm

I have watched Aimar for some time and seen quite a few of  his games both for Valencia and Argentina and even a couple when he was with River Plate. His only real weakness's are his shooting (wild) and his size. When he played against MANU he tore neville apart (think it was philip but I might be wrong)so often that they had to put R Keane on him. Aimar was booked for kicking Keane lol. He is GENUINE CLASS. When Rafa was winning championship with Valencia he was quoted as saying Aimar was better than RONALDINHO. I realise that this was probably a psychological statement but even so....This is the first rumoured signing that has genuinly excited me I just hope it comes true.
account deleted by request

Postby columbia » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:12 pm

stmichael wrote:
columbia wrote:Im not sure if he'd be able to cope with the premiership though.

if someone like d'allessandro can cut it then i'm sure aimar could.

yeh, i think he would to. My faith in my own judgement of these things has gone down since morientes though. I certainly didnt think he'd be as poor for us as he was. Aimar is definitely worth a go if the price is right though.
columbia

Postby taff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Firstly, Morientes was a good player and watching him live just confirms that statement.  I think he was dissapointing in goal returns and we do need a consistent goalscorer but I cant believe people who say that he wasnt a good player.

Aimar is a class act who would cut it in the premiership and would have been great with Morientes.  he will give a striking partner some great passing options, whilst our midfield is probably the best now in the PL we are still lacking a bit upfront and on the right flank.  Garcia could help out there.

Assuming Cisse is leaving, Aimar would be a good purchase and would hekp us attract another striker as Aimar would be an attractive squad member for any footballer, with SG, Alonso etc it adds to our attractiveness in the market.  I would be happy for Owen to return as he would give us the only missing option up front which is pace.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:27 pm

There is no room in the squad for another central midfielder (Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Hamann) or second striker (Gerrard, Garcia, Kewell and Gonzalez).  So therefore even at 5 million (and don't forget he'd want hefty wages) Aimar is not the player we need.  We need goalscorers and a right winger, Aimar is neither.  As far as I'm concerned any money spent elsewhere is just sucking up funds that could be spent on the key areas.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:44 pm

john craig wrote:There is no room in the squad for another central midfielder (Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Hamann) or second striker (Gerrard, Garcia, Kewell and Gonzalez).  So therefore even at 5 million (and don't forget he'd want hefty wages) Aimar is not the player we need.  We need goalscorers and a right winger, Aimar is neither.  As far as I'm concerned any money spent elsewhere is just sucking up funds that could be spent on the key areas.

Gerrard will play in the centre or on the right next season, kewell will play on the left and gonzalez i believe will also play wide left. Garcia's best position is behind the striker imo but aimar is better then garcia in that role.

I think if we got a top class finisher to play off Aimar it could be devastating. And at £5m he could be a snip. In some games we play we struggle to create chances. When i watch aimar play i see someone who can unlock a defence at any moment, i really belive if he were to adapt he could bring some much needed flair to our attack and with a top finisher added aswell i dont think our team would be short of goals.  Im with you in thinking there are more important positions to address but if we can sign aimar aswell why not?
columbia

Postby red37 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:44 pm

maybe there was some kind of gentlemans agreement over the morientes deal....
i disagree he would be surplus stock though. and at that price it would be harder to refuse.

didi hamann would seem the obvious one to make way though perhaps another year isnt unrealistic, unless bolton et al come in.... then with an orthodox right sided player, gerrard can drop back to central midfield with xabi and momo. thats assuming a 5 across the park, with 2 wingers/backs... 3-5-2 ?
(im liking the idea of that formation with aurelio/gonzalez on board)..

maybe aimar and (an)other up front...just wild stabs in the dark. but i think in certain set-ups aimar could easily be accomodated. lets face it rafa wants 2 efficient occupants for each position, the signing of aimar, in my book doesnt contradict that policy. even WITH garcia.

much depends on the options available as to how many games he'd actually get. though with quality like that, id say more rather than less, particularly in europe. dont shoot!  of course its all pure bollox until we know otherwise, just a suggestion.

:)
Last edited by red37 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 pm

Last season our strikers struggled to score goals. A lot of the blame for this may be attached to the quality of finishing but some of it was down to the quality of the chances created. Aimar is great at opening up defences and creating quality chances. I agree we need to get the right striker but Aimar will create the chances for the striker to feed on. To say there is no room in the squad for a player of his calibre is a mistake he is CLASS.

Postby bigmick » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:09 pm

I think he's an absolutely wonderful footballer who is right out of the top drawer of players in the world today. I watched about ten minutes of one La Liga game last season, it was Barca against Valencia and he played one reverse pass through to the centre forward to put him clean in on goal which was beautiful, almost balletic in the perfection of it's execution.
The problem as John stated earlier, is that we aren't Chelsea and don't have a bottomless pit of cash. I would also venture that to buy Aimar and to play him would be to rip up the pattern of the way the team currently plays and to start again, which would be a mistake in my opinion.
It is my view that we could practically buy nobody at all and still go close to winning the league (don't jump down my throat, I'm not suggesting that that is what we should do) as long as we don't get too many injuries. I think we need players who can fit into the pattern THAT WE ALREADY PLAY.
Now I've been saying for the best part of a season that Steven Gerrards best position is on the right. If I'm correct, then we need cover for him there in case he gets injured/moves into the centre for rotation. Pennant will do for me in the absense of the cash to buy Wright-Phillips.
Up top we need somebody to challenge Fowler for the role of playing off the bigger man. Bellamy will do for me allday long. We also need a bigger fella to give Crouchinio a run/rest. That bloke for me isd Kuyt or Bent. No room for the Argentinian maestro for me, unless we do actually sell Garcia.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:26 pm

I dont like disagreeing with you Mick because you can probably run rings round me for football knowledge but on this occasion I "THINK " you are wrong. If anyone has to make way for Aimar I think it would be Kewell (we have Riise and Gonzales on the left) and Aimar is much better option as second striker or in the hole. Liverpool have used Kewell in the role a few times without much success but Im sure Aimar would be great there.

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill